Flashlight Enthusiast
at the minute ( it changes alot )

Olight M20 olive triple xp g2
Olight M20s Xpg2
Olight M22

:thumbsup:

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
A modded 9p running a 4000k Torchlab Triple. Sometimes its a 6p and a Sportac Triple Nichia
A G2 running a Malkoff M61WL
A D25C Ti Neutral.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My light preferences tend to change based on what is new or interesting to me. Currently I use the following 3 lights the most:

1. Aleto N8
- This started as a 1x18650 budget zoom light with an XML emitter and hollow star. I purchased it, because at 108mm, it was the smallest 18650 zoom light I could find. I heavily modded it and am still not done. Mods performed include:
a. copper heatsink added to hollow-pill.
b. driver replaced with Nanjg 105c with Drjones Lumodrv firmware and Comfychair FET mod.
c. Emitter replaced with dedomed XML2 on direct copper star. Currently I'm using a dedomed T6 3C, which produces a very yellowish neutral beam. I'm waiting for an alternate emitter which hopefully will have a better tint.
d. Tailcap and body cut down to reduce size. Original light was 108mm long. In current form, it's 93mm long. Additional tailcap mods I plan to try tonight should reduce it to 91mm if successful.
e. Stock 18mm long-focal length aspheric replaced with 20mm fresnel lens.
f. Added an AR coated glass lens on top of the fresnel to protect the fresnel and make it easier to clean.
g. Tailcap clicky switch removed. Side momentary switch added.
f. Gold colored anodizing removed with greased lightning. Bare aluminum polished up. Added rubber sleeve from a NEBO flashlight to improve grip.
g. Replaced stock 105c head spring with a springier one. Solder-braided tailcap and head spring to reduce resistance.
h. replaced driver wire with 22 gauge silicone

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the light. It's the same size as a Sipik 68, but runs on an 18650 cell. It's much brighter, throwier and has longer runtimes. I measured 33k lux at turn-on. Maximum output in flood mode is probably over 1000 lumens with a protected 18650, but it heats up fast. Floodbeam in the modded light is 90 degrees wide.... which is wider than most of my reflector lights, and far wider than the 57 degrees a stock Aleto N8 has. This is my current EDC.

2. XTAR WK42 - this is a very small CR123 sized light with a side electronic switch. I replaced all the guts.
a. Emitter replaced with an XML2 T6 3C on Noctigon direct copper star.
b. Driver replaced with Nanjg 105c 3.04 amp with DrJones lumodrv firmware.
c. solderbraided tailcap spring to reduce resistance
d. replaced switch with Radio-Shack micro-momentary.
e. replaced driver wire with 22 gauge silicone

This light came out quite nicely. It's smaller and lighter than a Zebralight SC52, but produces around 1000 lumens at turn-on with a fresh cell. Runtime at max power is very limited though and it heats up fast. Tint is very nice. Very nice EDC size and very bright.

3. Sipik 58
- this light started as a budget AA size zoomie. I made the following mods:
a. Sawed off the top of the pill and installed a copper platform and heatsink.
b. glued the sliding bezel to the body with arctic silver thermal adhesive. This is no longer a zoomie.
c. replaced driver wire with 22 gauge silicone
d. replaced emitter with 20mm triple Noctigon direct copper star with triple Nichia 219B 92 CRI
e. replaced optic with Carclo 10511 triple TIR
f. replaced lens retaining ring with stainless steel one from a Roche F12
g. replaced driver with a Nanjg 105c from Mountain Electronics. Qlite firmware with 3 modes: moonlight - 25% - 100%. 2-minute turbo timer on max power mode, and off-time memory so the light always remembers it's last mode, even if just flashed on for half a second.
h. Removed all anodizing with Greased Lightning and polished up the bare aluminum.

Beautiful tint on this light. Very small for a triple. Good inspection light for close in use.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD32UE - always with me, use this one the most
Armytek Wizard Pro Warm - use it for anything handsfree
Fenix TK75vnkt - fun light, always have it in my backpack with the Wizard Pro

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
Olight M18 Maverick - general EDC and around the house use.

Vinhs M2500 p60 Mt-g2 in a 2x18650 solarforce host - main duty light.

TK75vn - serves for both home and duty use ad the need arises. Checking the woods while the pups are out back... or lighting up areas looking for house numbers or people.

Those 3 keep me pretty well covered, until the next one comes around.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Right now my three favorites are:

D25C Nichia 219. I really love everything about this light. Great color/tint. Good UI. Goes low enough and plenty high enough for my needs and it just vanishes in my pocket.

Peak Logan XPG high CRI. This beam is too warm for a lot of folks but I use it in the house and just love it. Light is like a warm campfire. ;)

Jetbeam RRT01. Although this light is slightly cool for my tastes I just love the ring UI. Super simple to dial in exactly the amount of light you need, and amazingly bright for such a small light. I also like that I can run this one on AW IMR 18350s, giving it a bit more run time.

That's today. Tomorrow..... ;)

Ken

... and I really enjoy these necro threads. Kinda fun to look back and see how things compare to what you were carrying a year or two ago.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jetbeam RRT01. Although this light is slightly cool for my tastes I just love the ring UI. Super simple to dial in exactly the amount of light you need, and amazingly bright for such a small light. I also like that I can run this one on AW IMR 18350s, giving it a bit more run time.

Sounds like it's time to upgrade the emitter in your RRT01!

Fortunately, doing an emitter swap in this light isn't too hard.
1. Unscrew and remove the bezel. Make sure that when you do this the parts turning against each other are the bezel and the part of the head above the ring. If the wrong part turns, you may destroy your driver wires and kill the light.
2. pull out reflector. Inside, there's room for a standard 16mm star. I recommend an XM-L2 T6 3C neutral on Noctigon direct copper star.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Sounds like it's time to upgrade the emitter in your RRT01!

Thanks! Yeah, I've thought about it. I wouldn't do it myself, though. A mans gotta know his limitations ;) If I do go that route I'd go Nichia and have Vinh do it. That may happen. Time will tell. I've been going through a "growth phase" recently and I need to let things settle down a bit before making this a "project light." ;)

But I do appreciate the info.

Ken

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Yeah, I've thought about it. I wouldn't do it myself, though. A mans gotta know his limitations ;) If I do go that route I'd go Nichia and have Vinh do it. That may happen. Time will tell. I've been going through a "growth phase" recently and I need to let things settle down a bit before making this a "project light." ;)

But I do appreciate the info.

Ken

Good choice. Nichia 219B 4500K 92 CRI LEDS are available at Mountain Electronics. Get one with an XPG2 direct copper star. Entire mod would take less than 10 minutes.

Or if you're feeling daring and want a more challenging mod, bore out the inside of the head so it's wide enough to accept a 20mm triple star and swap in a triple Nichia 219B with Carclo triple-TIR optic.

However, I agree this might not be the best choice of light for your first mod. Better to start with a cheapie budget light so if something goes wrong it's no big loss.

I love the tint on my Nichias. Much better than the tint on my Cree LEDS. Downside is the Nichias are much dimmer than the Crees.

Last edited:

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
  1. Tain Ottavino (it's always around my neck)
  2. HDS Rotary 250 (it's usually in my pocket)
  3. Malkoff Wildcat V4 (wonderful beam pattern and versatility)

kj2

Flashaholic
1: Thrunite T10
2: Fenix E40
3: Fenix TK41 / Olight SR51
Well this list has change, since 2012 :laughing:
1: Fenix PD35
2: Sunwayman F40A (or D40A if I don't need the color leds)
3: Fenix TK61 (closely followed by the TK75 and TK76 ;) )

Lighteous

Enlightened
HDS Rotary
ZebraLight SC51
ZebraLight SC600
Since my post on this topic almost three years ago, the lineup of lights most liked/used has changed somewhat. Currently I use a JetBeam RRT01 the most. It's been my favorite EDC for a couple of years now. I replaced the first one when it broke (it has since been fixed) and also purchased the latest version when it was upgraded to an XM-L2 with OP reflector. So I have three plus the titanium version TCR1. I love these lights! My second current favorite is a Malkoff MD2 - Turnkey Hi/Low with the M61 LED. Its a great light that is built like an indestructible armored car! My third favorite is from my first list, an HDS Rotary. I still have the ZL SC51, but I upgraded to the SC52, and the SC600. All great lights. However, when I need a floodlight like the SC600 I now usually reach for one of my Malkoff Wildcats (V4 or v5) or my Malkoff with the M91A drop-in and MD3 host.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently my most used are:

Malkoff MD2 w/M61N & hi/low
Peak LED Solutions Eiger #4 High CRI
4Sevens Quark AA Tactical XP-E NW w/flat turbo tailcap & deep-carry clip

Give it a few days, and the list will change...

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
First two are easy, they are my 4sevens Preon Revo Stainless Steel Neutral White and Zebralight SC52W L2.

The third is a little tricky for me, usually it would be my Zebralight SC51W but lately I've been using my 4sevens Quark AA2 Tactical NW more.

I am glad this thread was brought back from the dead (2011, 2012). It is a good read.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
Interesting thread, I hope it gets some new input.
my three: Armytek Tiara C1, Olight S10, Thrunite T1S.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Zebralight SC52 on 14500 is my primary edc when I carry a jacket, backpack or camera bag. EagleTac D25C clicky titanium with Nichia 219 is my go to light when I bring a light for walking in the dark, and a thrunite Ti2 with xp-g2 that's usually in my pocket.
A D25A with xp-g s2, Fenix e11 and tank007 e09 also get lots of use since they're in the bedroom, living room and kitchen.