What adapters for SureFire KT3 & KT5 turboheads to fit SF "c" hosts?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What adapters for SureFire KT3 & KT5 turboheads to fit SF "c" hosts?

Don't think they exist (pretty sure)...sell your KT3/KT5 and get a KT1/KT2.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

The KT3 will only work on the Surefire 9AN rechargeable, it's specially threaded so that it will attach to the body of the 9AN, I don't know if the KT3 fit's the classic 9N, it might. The KT5 is designed for the Surefire 8 series (8AX 8NX 8X). The KT1 and KT2 (the one you would want) has the same turbohead as the KT5, the difference is the adapter collar, the KT1 and KT2 share the same adapter collar, while the KT5 has it own adapter collar that only fits an 8 series rechargeable.

Forget the KT3 unless you have a 9AN, it can't be modified to be used on a C type threaded light, not to mention the reflector has two holes for the dual lamp assembly of the 9AN. With the KT5 you have have to get rid of the adapter collar it comes with and find the adapter collar from a KT1/KT2, and that would be very difficult to do. Surefire most likely won't sell you one, and it would be difficult to find one on the marketpalce that someone would want to part with. If you want a Surefire turbohead, try and find a KT1/KT2.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic

As mentioned SureFire does not sell the "Adapter Collars" from their TurboHead Kits separately.

To confirm: the KT3 only fits the 9AN (the T3 only fits the 9N) [The KT3 and T3 are not interchangeable].

The "KT" TurboHead is used by the KT1, KT2 and KT5 Kits.
The difference between the KT1 and KT2 is the Lamp Assembly.
The KT5 kit's adapter collar only fits the "8-Series" models (8AX, 8NX, L7, 8X).

The KT1 & KT2 are for standard-body SureFires (6P, G3, C3 etc).

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

I need a black adapter collar for a KT5 but I don't even bother looking, the KT5 kit is not near as popular as the KT1/KT2, and even if you could find one nobodys going to part with the adapter. I would ask surefire but that more than likely would be a waste of time, as certain parts, like adapter collars, are not for sale.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Good luck with that! It'll be even harder to find the collar or whole TurboHead for the classic T5...

I've got a KT5. The N5 isn't all that impressive IMHO.
A good N2 will best it in output over runtime quality in my experience.
And even though the beam won't be as 'pretty and round' the MN15 will best the N2 for output over runtime.
Of course the MN15 doesn't look as good as the N2 in the Classic TurboHeads such as the T-Series.

P37.jpg

P40.jpg

P43.jpg

P174.jpg

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Al, yeah I know, the chances of finding one is slim. I aleady have a HA KT5 on my 8AX, and I have a KT2 black, my plan was to take the black KT turbohead, try to find a black adapter collar, and install them on either my 8NX or my soon to be 8X.

I happen to like the N5 myself, with the 8 series you only have 2 choices, the X80 or the N5, and I love the tight round beam of the N5. I agree the N2 is better, but they have been discontinued for some time now, not to mention that lamp is for a different configuration and light, not really fare to compair them IMO. I'll take the N5 over the X80 any day of the week.

I have an MN15 I sometime's run in a 9P+KT2, I'm not crazy about it. Although the brightness and whiteness is superior to the 8AX+N5, the round beam of the N5 is much better than the squashed flat bar of light the MN15 produces.

I gurantee their's a random black KT5 adapter collar just laying around in some box or drawer at Surefire, too bad it will never make it to my doorstop.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Round beams of the N-Series TurboHead Lamp Assemblies in Classic TurboHeads sure are beautiful!

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

Round beams of the N-Series TurboHead Lamp Assemblies in Classic TurboHeads sure are beautiful!

I agree, unfortunately I was turned onto the Surefire incandescent turboheads and lamps far too late, now all the lamps and turboheads are long gone and discontinued. The chances of me getting to experience some of the classic lights is slim to none. Every once and a while stuff pops up on the marketplace, but unfortunately it is usually out of my reach by both timing and money. But I am thankful for the small amount of Surefire's I do have, that's all that matters.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed Al and Ebow...glad I got my 3 MN60's for my M4. Only got 1 N1 right now, but hope to have a few more here soon.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed Al and Ebow...glad I got my 3 MN60's for my M4. Only got 1 N1 right now, but hope to have a few more here soon.

AOW, have you tried running the N1 in your KT turbohead powered by a B65? If so what do you think of it?