What are the best "C" cell LED flashlights?

computernut

Enlightened
I love my Mag 3C's, I find the D-cell models too thick to be comfortable in the hand. One has a Xenon lamp in it while the other has a MagLED. I've been thinking about modding them. I might pick up a 2C and a 4C as well to try.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A NiMH C cell is more like 5000mAH - an alkaline is closer to 9500mAH. And they are not expensive, about $4 each http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhrechargeablecellcsize12v5000mahbuttontop1pc.aspx

link energizer datasheets quote the capacity of their Alkaline C around 8000mAh. But this is only at very low current (25mA). Capacity of alkalines drops off very quickly as the current increases.

Better off with NiMh over 500mA

I knew that alkalines could be good for low current devices, when I read some runtimes comparison charts. But I didn't know that they are way better than the best NiMh! Of course this is not strange when I have never seen any value of mAh of the technical specs of alkalines.

I guess this means it's an advantage to use alkalines (even cheap ones) in low brightness flashlights like when using Terralux Ministar1 LED-bulb (claimed to 50lm but in my old 2D it's much less) in a Maglite. Not only for the runtime but also for avoiding over discharging of rechargeables.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

tvman

Newly Enlightened
I assume the Task Force 2C is still available at Lowe's. I've got the older, but very similar Advanced Auto 2C Luxeon. The newest is a Cree P4, I think. Great throwers.

Geoff

Yeah I have a few of both. Wish they would produce a cree AA 2C. The Task Force 2c (60X) is still a bargain torch especially with the $10 off $25 coupons. My rechargeable C's are ony 2900 and 2200 mah but I have bunch charged in reserve.

jefcsun

Newly Enlightened
I have the 2C Life Gear (from Target). It is bright and has good quality.

geoff538

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Life Gear "210" lumen Highlander series light from Target. It may not be 210 lumens, but it is VERY bright!!! My problem is the horrible rings that are created all around the center beam. It is a smooth reflector, and a long thrower, but someone HAS to have a solution to fixing this problem. C'mon.... somebody help here, please. This will be an awesome light if someone can solve this problem that knows what they are doing. I would jump on an aftermarket fix along with many others in a heartbeat I'm sure.

NWdude83

Newly Enlightened
What about that 2C Duracell Daylite? Supposedly 160 lumens, and focusable beam.

dtvmike

Newly Enlightened
For a cheap light, the life gear 2 C cell that Target has is great! $40-, 210 lumens (Well,... I'm not sure about their claim, but it's bright!). Nice build quality as well!

i own 2 of them from costco - $49.99 for 2 , great flashlights .. i'm not going to say its better than others cause i dont own any others, but its probably the best damn thing for the price , since i bought 2 for 49.99? comes down to $25 a piece .. i dont think any other $25 LED comes as solid as this life+gear 210 lumens .. :naughty:

Latest posts