What are your favorite drop ins?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M61HOT has twice the regulated runtime at much higher output(and the current version is brighter than the generation shown in this test, at ~740 lumens OTF), because it makes better use of the available power.
I would say that "better use" is subjective. I understand that you prefer fully regulated output. For my uses, I would rather be at 200 lumens at 2.75 hours and still have another hour of very useful light left than the output falling off a cliff at 1.5 hours and have 25 lumens at 2.75 hours.

I might argue and say that the circuit that has more area under the runtime curve is making "better use" of the available power. In direct-drive, more of the cell's available power is going toward producing light because much of that available power isn't being lost through the inefficiencies of a buck circuit.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Favorite is hard... By the numbers its the M61NL as I have a couple of those. Excellent balance of output vs runtime. Then again, my M91b has the silkiest pure white I've seen (too cold for me generally, but gorgeous) while my M91BN (2nd batch) is... unique. Of course, one has to love an M31W in their C3/9P/G3 host for that pseudo-P91 look. But how do we leave out the M361 3000k 219!

What I'd like is something with the tint and CRI of my M61N and the voltage range of the newer M91B to run in a MD3 omnivore (cr123/17500/14500/AA/etc). They are close but not sure how the tint is on the XPL versions at 4000k if its worth it or not.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
@Buck91 ..
I just received Gene's new M91BN XP-L 4000K ~ beautiful PURE vanilla white with HUGE hot spot.
I still prefer my GB#2 5000K .. (personal taste), of course I just HAD to own both.

Hearing that makes it tempting to buy the neutral.

Favorite is probably m91bw. The brightness is impressive at full voltage and still really good with one li-ion. I bought it for a surefire c3 that I have yet to acquire, but it's really at its best in an md3 with hi/low and 18500's.

The m61w and m61wll are also favorites. I'm also really starting to like the m61n almost as well as the m61w.

Latest posts