What battery types are best?

john10001

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried using the Oxyride batteries for flashlights? I am just wondering whether they are any good and how they stack up against other types?

All things being equal what order would you rate the following batteries in performance for duration at both max lumens e.g. 210 lumens, and then also in moonlight mode e.g. <1 lumen.

Energizer Ultimate Lithium L91 AA
Energizer Ultra+ Alkaline AA
Energizer Classic Alkaline AA
Eveready Silver Zinc Carbon AA
Duracell Ultra Alkaline AA
Duracell Plus Alkaline AA
Panasonic Evoia Alkaline AA
Panasonic Oxyride AA
Panasonic Infinium AA NiMH 2100mAh
Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH 2000mAh
Uniross Hybrio AA NiMH 2100mAh
Ansmann AA NiMH 2700mAh
GP AA NiMH 2700mAh
Uniross AA NiMH 2700mAh
Duracell Ultra DL123
Energizer CR123A
Panasonic CR123A
AW RCR123A
Ultrafire 18650 3000mah
Ultrafire 18650 2400mah

My thoughts were that Eveready Silver batteries should do well in moonlight mode given that Zinc Carbon batteries are good for low drain such as TV remotes? I'm not so sure how that would work in practice versus alkaline or other types?

I'm slightly confused about what type of battery the Oxyride is exactly? I am thinking it is meant to compete with the Energizer Ultimate Lithium though and is even better than their Evoia battery?

Would be very interesting to know how the different AA batteries compete with the other types using 2AA against 1 and 2AA v 2.

I think the Energizer Lithium Ultras are brilliant. They last forever and whenever I test them they show as 1.7v. I am thinking that the drop off to dead must come suddenly with these? I have always been a fan of Duracell Plus as my prefered choice of alkaline. I always though that the Duracell Ultras cost too much and didn't give much of a performance increase. Energizer I think have good Alkaines but a tiny fraction less juice than Duracell equivolent, but are better value . Now Panasonic Evoia tops everything alkaline wise but I still don't think they are worth the price premium for the extra juice they give. I like Uniross rechargeables, I think they give great performance. I know very little about 123's or 18650's or about this new Panasonic AA Oxyride so appreciate any recommendations on best batteries out there performance and value wise.

Cheers,

John

Last edited:

Light Sabre

Enlightened
The Oxyride is for digital cameras only Oxyride battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. They'e made for high current, very intermittent use. They are dismal in pretty much any other use. I would avoid them since they are primary cells with a lot better choices out there.

Alkaline batteries last longest in low drain devices and battery vampires like Gerber Infinity Ultra and the Gerber Tempo type of flashlights. Alkalines leak the most tho.

In high drain devices such as digital cameras and higher power flashlights the Lithiums last a long time. There's a catch tho. For some other devices they don't like the extra ~3/10 of a volt per cell and just won't work right. Some devices can go :poof:. I lost a good flashlight because it couldn't handle lithiums and the flashlight was even an Energizer. Lithiums output voltage does drop off very rapidly at end of life. They can handle the extreme hot and cold better than any other battery. They are also more expensive to use.

I ran some battery tests a few years ago. The Duracell Ultras did very well in my tests. I won't even touch a regular Duracell unless it comes with an electronic device that I buy.

I have never even seen a Panasonic Evolta yet. I would love to test one along with one of the Energizer Advanced Lithiums to see how they fair against all the others.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
For AA cells, you might want to check out this thread on Ragone plots. Several of the AA cells you mention are included in the plot. The Duracell Powerpix are rebranded Panasonic Oxyrides. As has already been mentioned, there are very few applications (digital cameras being one) where these will outperform alkaline cells, and even then the performance improvement is marginal.