What brand is most similar to Zebralight?

jbrett14

Enlightened
I've been looking for other brands that have a similar UI and regulated output.

What I am looking for:

Clicky that operates using the thumb with a traditional grip (switch at the front end).

Must be able to turn on in High mode, without cycling through other modes, but with NO memory function. I don't like memory lights.

I don't care about having a bunch of modes. Just 2 or 3 is fine, but if it has more that's ok too, as long as I can turn it on in HIGH mode first (but NOT from a memory function).

Must be a simple click to turn on and off. No long presses for on or off.

Must be able to avoid accidental activation without having to unscrew it (defeats the purpose of having a clicky).

Must be a regulated light, on par with Zebralight. I don't like lights that gradually dim as the batteries are used up.

Must be AA or 18650. I will buy either, or both.

Over the years I have bought a few different lights from Klarus, JetBeam, etc., hoping I would like them. The JetBeams were great but I hated the long press to turn on, or off. The Klarus UI was great but it would accidentally turn on in the pocket, thereby turning it into a twisty\clicky.

If anyone knows of a brand that meets my criteria I would sure appreciate recommendations.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankfully, quite a lot of lights are adapting a similar UI, as it seems like manufactures are starting to hone in on what people generally prefer and don't. Those common features being quick access to high/turbo from off with a double click, and quick access to moonlight/low from off with a hold.

Any EDC style light with Anduril can do that, as well as some of the more recent ones from Manker and Acebeam.

Connor

Enlightened
Maybe take a look at the Emisar/Noctigon lights, in particular the D4V2.
You can modify the Anduril 2 settings exactly to your liking.
I am/was a big ZebraLight fan too but since they didn't make any new lights for years I had to look elsewhere and Emisar/Noctigon not only comes close but surpasses the Zebras in some (but not all) ways.

Last edited:

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I rather like the Nitecore MH20 (18650). It has a front mounted switch and always comes on high (1000 lumens claimed) with a "full" press/click. The "half" press will come on with low low (1 lumen I think). The nice thing is that you don't have to remember any clever stuff so in a stress situation, all you do is click and you have full power. There other modes but I never use them so can't really comment.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
And why is Zebralight not an option?

just buy a Zebralight and get it over with

Just a great reminder, Zebralight only sells to USA now. So without a middle man most of the rest of us can't buy them anymore.

Another thing to consider is theirs been no new lights or emitter changes in close to two years now if memory serves me. So unless your getting them modded to new emitters it's not going to feel newer than the ones bought years ago

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is where I mention that their is a fella on discord that buys in bulk, mods and sells out of Ontario :)
It really helped scratch the itch of wanting a new Zebralight, I got an sc64 with an xpp led for throw, one with a Nichia 4500k and an sc5 with a nichia 3000k tint.
It's not cost effective but it is really satisfying having new emitters in a Zebralight.

I also recommend looking into the emisar and noctigon lights, Not a lot have tailcap switches but a few do. I prefer side switches in half of the lights I edc in a day, it's easier for certain aspects of my job.
Perhaps something like an HDS or Malkoff might fit your criteria.
I only mention HDS because it's a programable light, and can be purchased with different tints

As good as Fenix and Olight models are, some even meet your user interface preferences, neither company really mess with different tint options or high cri any more.

I think Acebeam could be worth looking into as it does have both neutral white and high cri options, side switches and they do make 18650 lights.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
Thankfully, quite a lot of lights are adapting a similar UI, as it seems like manufactures are starting to hone in on what people generally prefer and don't. Those common features being quick access to high/turbo from off with a double click, and quick access to moonlight/low from off with a hold.

Any EDC style light with Anduril can do that, as well as some of the more recent ones from Manker and Acebeam.
Thanks for the response. I will certainly look into Anduril lights.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Maybe take a look at the Emisar/Noctigon lights, in particular the D4V2.
You can modify the Anduril 2 settings exactly to your liking.
I am/was a big ZebraLight fan too but since they didn't make any new lights for years I had to look elsewhere and Emisar/Noctigon not only comes close but surpasses the Zebras in some (but not all) ways.
Thanks Connor. Much appreciated. I will check all of them out for sure.

jbrett14

Enlightened
And why is Zebralight not an option?
Hahaha. Well, I knew somebody would ask this, as I would too. Why not just stick with what you love, right?

Not sure what causes this addiction to buy lights, but it involves wanting MORE lights from MORE brands. Ha!

Recently one of my 8 Zebralights (4 headlights, 4 handheld) started acting up (it wouldn't turn off without unscrewing it). It only happened twice, but it did happen. So part of me just wants to know that I have options just in case Zebralight goes out of business.

Also, I would love to find a "AA" light that is slimmer than what Zebralight offers, while also meeting my criteria. I thought the Klarus Mi7 was going to be that light, and it is an impressive little light, but, the darn thing turns on in my pocket.

If somebody made a light like the Mi7, I would even accept a recessed tail switch just to avoid the accidental activation.

Instantly turning on in high mode, slim design, and good regulation are higher priorities to me than the location of the switch.

jbrett14

Enlightened
I rather like the Nitecore MH20 (18650). It has a front mounted switch and always comes on high (1000 lumens claimed) with a "full" press/click. The "half" press will come on with low low (1 lumen I think). The nice thing is that you don't have to remember any clever stuff so in a stress situation, all you do is click and you have full power. There other modes but I never use them so can't really comment.
What about accidental activation in the pocket? Is the switch recessed like on Zebralights?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've been looking for other brands that have a similar UI and regulated output.

What I am looking for:

Clicky that operates using the thumb with a traditional grip (switch at the front end).

Must be able to turn on in High mode, without cycling through other modes, but with NO memory function. I don't like memory lights.

I don't care about having a bunch of modes. Just 2 or 3 is fine, but if it has more that's ok too, as long as I can turn it on in HIGH mode first (but NOT from a memory function).

Must be a simple click to turn on and off. No long presses for on or off.

Must be able to avoid accidental activation without having to unscrew it (defeats the purpose of having a clicky).

Must be a regulated light, on par with Zebralight. I don't like lights that gradually dim as the batteries are used up.

Must be AA or 18650. I will buy either, or both.

Over the years I have bought a few different lights from Klarus, JetBeam, etc., hoping I would like them. The JetBeams were great but I hated the long press to turn on, or off. The Klarus UI was great but it would accidentally turn on in the pocket, thereby turning it into a twisty\clicky.

If anyone knows of a brand that meets my criteria I would sure appreciate recommendations.

Take a look at the Skilhunt M150.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Hi jbtrett14. The switch on the Nitecore MH20 is recessed and I have never had an accidental activation. The Klarus Mi7 - many times. So much so that I don't use it anymore. To be fair though, the Nitecore is a coat pocket rather than Jeans pocket size. So far as your AA thoughts are concerned, the EagTac D25A (single AA) is the size of the Klarus but is a clicky. The switch is recessed so no accidental activation, plus the UI is simple. Tighten the head and it starts at High always. Loosen the head and you start with a very useful LowLow for middle of the night use. I like it so much that I also have the CR123A version. Currently they are both my favourite jeans pocket carry. I don't know the USA prices but over here they are about 50 UK pounds, so probably 50 dollars US.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi jbtrett14. The switch on the Nitecore MH20 is recessed and I have never had an accidental activation. The Klarus Mi7 - many times. So much so that I don't use it anymore. To be fair though, the Nitecore is a coat pocket rather than Jeans pocket size. So far as your AA thoughts are concerned, the EagTac D25A (single AA) is the size of the Klarus but is a clicky. The switch is recessed so no accidental activation, plus the UI is simple. Tighten the head and it starts at High always. Loosen the head and you start with a very useful LowLow for middle of the night use. I like it so much that I also have the CR123A version. Currently they are both my favourite jeans pocket carry. I don't know the USA prices but over here they are about 50 UK pounds, so probably 50 dollars US.

I know nothing about the Zebras, but.....
I also use a couple of ET D25A MKIIs (and Cs as well), and in general like using them (aside from lacking 'momentary-on' switch I'd prefer, but which would also increase the length, so I forgive that shortcoming). Can't speak to the regulation as I don't really use them for extended run times much and don't have access to an output / time graph for them. They do have a few basic config options (not a confusing array), at least one of which would probably work well for you. I've never had one turn on unintentionally. Minimal form factor design, so quite carry-able. They're also (currently) available with 4 emitter options from my supplier (illuminationgear), so that's also a plus for me. I rather like the 4000K SST-20, but also like the 219C 4000K I have (which isn't currently listed by IG as available however). I'd agree they're one to consider.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Thanks. I will check those out.