What do you have on your keyring 1xAAA or 1xAA light ?

Danielsan

Enlightened
Re: What do you have on your keychain 1xAAA or 1xAA light ?

I have a photon freedom on my keychain too but as an EDC light i have a Klarus MIX6 Ti as well but not together with the keys :) AA Keychainlights are a bit to big for me, maybe CR123 or even better CR2 is ok but then there is the problem of wasting those nice lights at a keychain, i kind of feel sorry for the light when the keys maltreat the nice surface :) thats why i have plastic photon.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alternate between 2 AAA lights - either a Fenix E01 or a Fenix E05. But there's always another light in my pocket - often a McGizmo Haiku or Zebralight SC30W

JCK

Newly Enlightened

I too find AA too big for a keyring light. I use a good old Fenix E01, I have a natural HA on my keyring and still looks in really good condition after almost a year on my keyring.

Ian2381

Enlightened

Fenix LD01 SS on my key-chain and an AA light in the pocket.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW, thanks guys for the input, definitely AAA is the winner. :)
I do have some Eneloop AAA that I never used I will have to put them to good use.
Looks like pretty much everyone loves their Fenix. At about 2.5 inch is small. I measured my car keys they are between 2.7 to 3 inches. It should be perfect.
Is anybody caring Arc AAA ?

mmace1

Enlightened

For keychain use, the smallest AA lights are:

Nitecore EZ AA, Quark mini AA, Fenix LD15, EagleTac D25 Mini, ITP A2/Olight i2, and the Maratac AA.

Since you're comparing AAA vs. AA, I think the smallest AA's are what you'd be interested in. All of the above are almost the same size. For comparision, the Quark mini AA has a volume ~40% greater than the (AAA) Fenix LD01.

Personally if I had a keychain light - I'd probably want a smaller AAA like the Fenix E05, or going slightly larger in exchange for multiple levels - a 4sevens Revo. That said I'd consider the smallest AA lights, but only the smallest ones.

For me - a perfect hypothetical keychain light would be a Fenix E05 with a low mode, but alas...

AutoTech

Enlightened

ITP A3 EOS (upgrade) for me. Nice little light, and cheap.

I was actually hoping I could find a AAA light with decent output and just on/off but reluctantly settled on the newer a3 eos with it's low-med-high. But now I'm glad I did, it's actually quite handy turning it straight on to a low setting as in reality it's what you need most with a light like this. The high setting is tucked away for the wow factor (for friends and family) and the times you need a decent bit of light.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

It used to be the ITP AAA EOS on my keychain,
but for the last 6 months, its been only half of an ITP EOS.

choppedeos-tgwnn.png

tgwnn

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

It took me 2 years to switch from policy of using nothing but AAs, but I now favor AAA for keyrings: a $20 Fenix E05 R2 for flood and a $10 Black Cat HM-01 for throw. The only problem with using two lights is that my fingers can't easily tell them apart in the dark.

If I had the funds, I'd probably switch to two 1AAA Peak Eigers: one narrow, the other wide. I owned a brass wide Eiger for 2 weeks, but I gave my daughter her choice of AAA lights and she chose the Eiger.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

AAA on my keys. I have both the Fenix E01 and E05 on my keys.

WoodMan

Newly Enlightened

Maratac AAA Stainless.

brembo

Enlightened

It used to be the ITP AAA EOS on my keychain,
but for the last 6 months, its been only half of an ITP EOS.

choppedeos-tgwnn.png

tgwnn

Interested in making one of those in stainless? I'd be interested in buying one. That way you'll already have my address to send the Torpedo to when those ship :D

Oh, my keychain light is a fauxton squeeze light. The kind lighthound and battery junction toss in the box when ya order enough goodies.

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened

Quark Mini AA with an Eneloop. But I'm lying a bit here since I don't use a keychain - I HATE keychains. I use a key RING, and with it's current five keys I consider it to be overpopulated.

My light is carried with a carabiner, separately from my keys or anything else.

I used to keep my house and vehicle keys on separate rings - that way if I lose the car keys I can still get in the house and vice versa...

Since I've never lost any keys I finally integrated the two - but my flashlight's staying separate.

I like the ability to grab my EDC and use it without any "glob of crap" attached to it. Even the carabiner is sometimes an impediment, but it's also an advantage sometimes too so it works out...

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened

I'm not really a flashaholic (maybe I'm in denial since I'm here) but I've had a need for a small flashlight on my keychain so I've had a few over the years. From cheapie push buttons like the Photon Freedom but much cheaper to ones I've gotten from nerd (computer) conventions that they gave out.

After a while of replacing them every 3-6 months, I put a solitaire that I got from those MagLite combo deals on my keychain. It's been ok but still not very useful for what I needed so I started googling and found a TerraLux upgrade to 15 lumens and that works great now. During my search, I found you crazy guys and have been lurking off and on. I just ordered Streamlight's Protac 88032 and 88033 and a Fenix E21 to add to my modest collection of mostly MagLites and a SureFire 6P with a 320 lumen drop in.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, I am convinced now is AAA :)
I ordered Arc AAA for now :) the 10 lumens edition, will see how that works.
Fenix I can purchase anytime, I see now they have a E05 R4 with 30 lumens.....I may get it in the future.
Appreciate everyone input so far, keep it coming

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah, the venerable Arc AAA. Super small, super reliable, and with 10 lumens you get plenty of light for most closeup tasks, and excellent runtime as well. A fine choice, Enjoy!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interested in making one of those in stainless? I'd be interested in buying one. That way you'll already have my address to send the Torpedo to when those ship :D

Oh, my keychain light is a fauxton squeeze light. The kind lighthound and battery junction toss in the box when ya order enough goodies.

If you really, really, badly want one, I guess I could.
I made mine using a single mode ITP but I've been planning to get a 3 mode upgraded edition and make one as that would be a more flexible version,
with longer runtime when needed so I'd recommend that option, but I'll have to check if there are any in stock locally.

About the Torpedo... Thanks ;)

tgwnn

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

R2 LD01 on main keyring, R5 LD01 SS on my backup keyring, L0P SE on my cabin keyring.

I have an E01 around here somewhere and I'd like to get a natural E05 if they ever made them.

Anyone know?