What for Camping?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1) Princeton Tec Corona
#2) Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED
#3) whatever you want for throw when it is absolutely necessary. if you hear growling from acrossed a field getting closer, you wanna spot it b4 it's within range of an LED headlamp. any light with good throw or maybe just the incandescent drop in for the UK 4AA light. but nothing overly bright like an actual spotlight or HID.

personally, i use my modded Arc LS for throw, since i require throw very rarely in the woods. like was mentioned earlier, you can just wear it on a neck lanyard and it is very handy if a situation arises. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
An Eternalight is excellent. I have the Eternalight ErgoMarine. It has 3 lithium cells and 4 LEDs. The light has 12 brightness levels. At the lowest level, it lasts for 2800 hours and is perfect as a tent nightlight. At its brightest level, it rivals a Luxeon-powered light and lasts as long as 40 to 50 hours. Recommended.

ErgoMarine1_400.jpg

http://www.techass.com/el/elm3m/elm3m.php

See also this thread: $32 ErgoMarine

GotCoffee

Newly Enlightened
For my kids 6,11,12, my wife and my pocket we carry cheap E-bay $1 each coin LED's. We have about 15 left from the original 25 purchase and they stay in the car so if one of them loose it, they can get another. The kids have them around their necks. For area lighting a CF lantern from Wal-Mart (4D). Inside the tent, a remote control from Coleman.
And we do use on gas coleman on a stake. Our stove uses coleman fuel also.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
spacetroll said:
then before you know it your half drunk and up and wandering around searching for that pistol, holding a maglite with your left hand while tring to work the pump on a shotgun for night skeet shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about the selective "quote", but this was just to funny to pass up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I recommend a headlamp and a small LED backup light. Some of the headlamps I like are the PT Corona , PT Yukon HL , Petzl Tikka Plus or Zipka

I like battery commonality, so I like to use AA LEDs with AA headlamps and AAA LEDs with AAA headlamps. Like:
ARC AAA
ARC AA
Infinity Ultra
Sonic

Another light I like on a neck lanyard is a Photon 2.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ACMarina said:
Unless you're watching a perimeter, a spotlight wouldn't get you much in WSAR, or even USAR.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been involved in much SAR work but I do remember going along with my uncle when I was younger looking for people lost out on a lake (relatively remote northern Ontario), they used spotlights to look for the people who were lost. Not all wilderness areas are heavily forested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Keith

jtice

Flashaholic
I would have to agree with a PT Corona Headlamp, and a UK 4AA LED.
Both are great for runtime, and the UK light is totally water tight, and has a 10 to 12 hour runtime!

Something like an Arc AA, or a Ultra around your neck is excellent also.

Then pick something for bright/throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ACMarina said:
In fact, the only time I could ever see using a spotlight in the woods is to spotlight animals, and that's more or less illegal in most places.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's illegal to shine a light on an animal???

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ohhhh yeah! Got to agree with an eternaLight, headlamp, Infintiy, and some of those little $1 keychain/zipper pull lights.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a lake, sure, but there you're dealing with a relatively flat area with no obstruction. And I wouldn't be walking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you're "Searching" as in trying to spot something, then a spotlight would work. SAR doesn't really do as much of this as you'd think, it's more about tracking, following all of the clues left behind to find someone. Spotting is done, but you generally don't need too much throw, as you're really only concerned about what's in your general field of observable vision anyway. .

And Baker, yes, spotlighting animals is illegal in many areas. Like was said, generally it's figured it you're spotlighting an animal, you're planning on shooting it.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
EternaLight and a headlamp. Camping must haves, in my book. The eternaLight is the swiss army knife of lights making it very versatile. As for headlamps, once you use one you wonder how you got by w/o one. I'm happy with my PT Aurora, but have my eye on an Eos.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, it is illegal just to shine a light on an animal; even if you have no weapons. That law seems very unreasonable to me. I suppose it portrays some importance, but someone should figure out a better way to regulate that law. What if you are roaming aroung the woods at night to test a new flashlight, and you accidentally spot a deer? Seems pretty stupid to me.

AlecGold

Enlightened
I have a U2 with a headband. It can do everything, from long time burning at a low level, to bright.
I also like the A2 with red leds, but thats more for hunting etc.

redcar

Enlightened
Off Topic:
MaxaBaker,
It is illegal in Tenn to spotlight an animal on public or federal land, regardless of whether or not you possess a weapon. On federal land you can be fined for using the headlights on your car to do it. It is not about hunting, it is about protecting and not harasing the animal in question. I'm not advocating either way, just stating the law I live under.

On topic: I also like the A2 if carrying one light, or the L1 (old style) and G2 if carrying two. Of course I always have a Photon Microlight or Arc AAA in a pocket or around my neck to change batts and bulb no matter what I'm carrying.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second or third the suggestion of the UK 4AA eLED, but might I suggest that if you don't have this light already, go with the "Unilite" version. For under $3 more, you get 2 more accessories (a clip and a "neck" that can rotate and bends the head 90 degrees) that really contribute to the light's overall usefullness. With this combo, you can clip the body of the light vertically in a shirt pocket, pants pocket or the top of your pants and the head will shoot outward providing handsfree light without the discomfort of a headlamp. Also, the light may be placed on its side and the head can point up at any angle to illuminate a tent, etc. With all the other features this light has, this light seems like the ultimate camper to me as long as you're not too concerned about the absolute smallest size and weight.

AlecGold

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
redcar said:
Of course I always have a Photon Microlight or Arc AAA in a pocket or around my neck to change batts and bulb no matter what I'm carrying.

[/ QUOTE ]
I forgot it, I've got one on the zippers of every jackets etc. The only problem with them is that when I cross a river they tend to get wet on the inside and get on. They will stay on until the battery is empty! But there very hande for finding your light when you droped it and you're funmbling around in the dark. (then I always sudenly remember I have one with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

paulr

Flashaholic
I really like the PT Aurora and the newer EOS and Apex are even better. Waterproof, handsfree, dimmable, and bright enough for most purposes.