What guns do you own?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll reiterate what others have said: 1) Check out some different guns in hand and see what feels best, and then 2) Rent the ones that fit your hand right if you are able and see if you are comfortable shooting them.

For my first handgun I was pretty much set on a Glock due to it's reliability. Initially, I wanted a Glock 26 (sub-compact 9mm, holds 10+1). I was advised on another forum to start off with a full size weapon by the majority of participants, so I went with a Glock 19 (Compact 9mm, holds 15+1). The Glock 19 felt okay in my hands but when it came to range time I never really felt comfortable with it. Accuracy suffered as a result. I was able to trade it in for a 26 and the difference is night and day with how comfortable it is to shoot for me.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have to agree with the Ruger 10/22 for beginners. Inexpensive, durable and fairly accurate. Fun to fire too.

Someone mentioned that it's a good "survival kit" rifle. I have to agree. A cheap scope and I can hit 1 inch targets at 25 yards. Thats good enough for hunting small animals. I'll update this tomorrow after a little time at the range. I suspect that it will do 1 inch groups at 50 and 100 yards too.

With 100 rounds for $10, or 300 for $22, it's really cheap to shoot.

I've had my 10/22 since 1975, and it was not shot in 20 years, yet did fine at the range last week with only a quick cleaning and oiling.

Daniel

Mr.Sun

Newly Enlightened
This one even has a flashlight :)

photo.jpg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
A cheap scope and I can hit 1 inch targets at 25 yards. Thats good enough for hunting small animals. I'll update this tomorrow after a little time at the range. I suspect that it will do 1 inch groups at 50 and 100 yards too.

Follow-up on the 10/22. I only did the 25 and 50 yard range. It might be able to shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards, but not with my skills. Shooting from a standing position, I was only able to hit the 1 inch target 3 times out of 10. I did not try a bench rest.

Dan

matt_j

Enlightened
What guns do you own? What do you recommend for a rifle and a handgun?

Good quality and reasonable price. Is it worth it to spend $1000 on a handgun?

Handguns:
Ruger Alaskan
Springfield 1911 milspec
Glock 19

Rifles
Rock Rive Armory Operator
Rem 700
Ruger 10/22
Springfield Scout

Shotgun
Remingtom 870

As far as recommendation for handgun I would go with Glock 19 (for smaller hands) or 17 (for bigger hands). Good handguns, reliable. In 9mm they are fun to shoot with pretty affordable ammo. If you are into classics thou 1911 style handguns are great. Smaller capacity on the mag but good piece of proven engineering there. I would also get a conversion kit for 22 caliber so you can get some extra trigger time with cheaper ammo (for either glock or 1911). As far as the rifle goes Ruger 10/22 is awesome beginner gun that no matter what you do buy later on you will have fun to shoot. Countless mods you can do with it and easy to maintain. I can spend all day shooting my AR but in the end I always come back to my 10/22.

Supergyro

Newly Enlightened
As far as handguns go, if you haven't held a CZ 75 or other CZ variant, you don't know comfort! They have just the perfect grip angle.

Of course, this is just my opinion.:rolleyes:

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Magnum research Desert Eagle MK XIX- Barrels: 10" .50 AE, 6" .44 Mag., 6" 357 Mag.

Springfield Armory XD Tactical .45 ACP

AMT Automag III .30 Carbine

Smith & Wesson Model 52 .38 Special (Wadcutter only)

Ruger Redhawk SS 7.5" .44 Mag.

Ruger GP-100 SS 6" full lug barrel .357 Mag.

Colt python 4" .357 Mag

Starting to see a theme developing here? I like BIG BORE and I can not lie! You other brothers can't deny!

Mr. Sun, I am holding my breath waiting for you to post another picture from your obviously AWESOME collection!!!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recommend renting as many handguns as you can before buying. I've taken quite a few friends to the range for their first time shooting and no two individuals preferred the same one.

For your intended range only use for a handgun, a .22 LR is always a good choice. A Browning Buckmark or Ruger MKIII would be good choices at the more reasonable end. Smith & Wesson's models 17 and 617 .22 LR quite popular, but will cost a fair bit more than a typical semi auto. I bought an early 80s vintage Smith & Wesson Model 41 target pistol last year, and have been extremely pleased with it.

A revolver chambered in .357 Magnum also works well as a range gun. Ammo ranging from light recoiling .38 Specials up to fire breathing (literally) .357 Magnums can be used interchangeably. Smith and Wesson makes a quality product, with their older blued or nickel plated models being more desirable.

Glocks are definitely something to consider, but I've never had a friend tell me that they like shooting my mid sized .40 S&W model 23. If the goal is to have on for a SHTF scenario, then I's say a Glock is an outstanding choice, but not for punching paper at the range. I've heard lots of positive things regarding Smith & Wesson's M&P series of polymer pistols, and finally got the chance to shoot a co-worker's 9mm full sized version about a month ago. I was very impressed in the grip design, sight picture, trigger feel (especially), felt recoil, and overall ergonomics.

My current favorite semi auto rifle is the M1 (Garand), and the Springfield M1A isn't too far behind it. I've got a few ARs, but they have no soul, and wood and steel trump aluminum and polymer (IMHO) every time. Bolt actions also work well for range use, and my preferences are Remington 700s in Walnut and blued steel and Savage in Polymer and stainless steel. For range use, .223 Remington is a good choice with a heavy or even bull barrel for tolerable all day shooting, and are generally quite accurate to boot. Lever actions are also a lot of fun, and can be acquired in a wide range of chamberings from .22 LR to .45-70 Government.

Is it wise to spend over $1000 on a handgun? Only if you can easily afford to do so, and generally only on a 1911. The 1911 is an outstanding platform, but they weren't designed for the non-enthusiast and make a poor first handgun.

Good luck in your decision.

Grizz

Evosil98

Newly Enlightened
For handgun, you can't go wrong with a Glock 19 but I've been shooting my Ruger MarkIII 22/45 alot lately.

For a rifle, AR15 platform would be my choice and always go with a reliable proven company such as BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Colt and LMT

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Shot an STI Legend in .40 at the range last Sunday... Man, I didn't want to let go...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Illum

Flashaholic
PSL Semi-automatic 7.62x54R. Essentially a scaled-up AK-47 action chambered for x54R, which has slightly more Wheaties than .308/7.62x51. Appreciably more accurate than the AK knockoffs with similar perceived recoil thanks to the immense muzzle brake (which also makes them far louder to you and others behind it) and the crude recoil spring at the shoulder pad. Barrel length on these will remind you of the rifles that Napoleonic infantry carried. The included 4x scope is ... interesting. Expect tuning it for commercial ammunition to be a challenge.

:drool: :D:hahaha: :paypal:[j/k]:laughing:
I've been looking to get one way back, never did find one that didn't have QC problems all over the map. Some were rebuilt, others were stored in pitiful conditions and the sellers still want $600-800 for them. :shakehead

While Hi-points don't have the tendency to blow up in their owners' faces at the rate that numerous other "budget" guns do, I would still avoid them. They're needlessly clunky, use blowback designs on calibers that no other reputable manufacturer does, and the slides are made of a relatively fragile zinc-magnesium alloy that's not terribly durable (if it fails on rearward recoil, the back of the slide might hit you in the face).

I know, I know:nana:, keltec's rifles have that rearward reciever problem too. The bolt is smacking it on every cycle.:fail:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
:drool: :D:hahaha: :paypal:[j/k]:laughing:
I've been looking to get one way back, never did find one that didn't have QC problems all over the map. Some were rebuilt, others were stored in pitiful conditions and the sellers still want $600-800 for them. :shakehead
The example I have experience with is in good conditions and works dandy - was supposedly manufactured new(ish) for the importer. While everyone wants the LPS-4 scope that's original equipment just to "round out the set", it's probably better to cough up a few bucks for a "rezeroable" siderail mount and a decent standard rifle scope since the LPS-4 scope is designed around the specific ammunition that the Romanians would have issued with the PSL and is nowhere near as adjustable as what most are accustomed to.

Latest posts