What Headlamp would be comparable to the toughness of an HDS Systems EDC

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Pops, you can't go wrong with the Minimus. Mine is the Minimus Vision and the high CRI tint is just great! Love it.

garbman

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that Sparks are that tough.
Mine has already a broken glass and some serious dings after some drops.
In my opinion there is nothing comparable to HDS.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Pops, you can't go wrong with the Minimus. Mine is the Minimus Vision and the high CRI tint is just great! Love it.

Thanks, I was ready to place an order for either a Minimus Saint or Tac when my Rotary went south, or should I say north (since it's getting so dang hot here in the Sonoran Desert) a couple of days ago. So the headlamp will have to wait since I used the money to buy another single CR123A light yesterday! Oh, and to pacify my disappointment futher, I ordered another Prometheus Ti clip for the newly arrived Fury. However this time I went for Jason's Flame Broiled Clip, since I already have a plain Ti clip for my other Fury! ... lol

Many thanks again folks, I really appreciate your time, and advise! Man the Sparks sure looks good too!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh which other CR123 light did you buy? Anything interesting or new? Haven't been looking into what's new lately.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh which other CR123 light did you buy? Anything interesting or new? Haven't been looking into what's new lately.

I have a V10R and E1b, but I've been using my LX2 to check the locks when I start my day. The ergonomics of the V10R isn't comfortable when it's in constant use. For example (as I mentioned in the toughest edc thread) when I start my night checking locks and property, and the E1b doesn't work since the light comes on high first, so the LX2's been more then adequate, and doing an excellent job with it's two stage switch.

However there was a (two year old designed) light that I wanted to try. The situation with the Rotary, as well as the heavily discounted price lightjunction presently has on a NiteCore Infilux IFE1 XP-G R5, I went ahead an ordered one with the OP reflector. Light should work with the Kydex holster, I hope it will. I was considering a JETBeam, but the light doesn't speak to me except for the RRT-21 that I once had, but I wanted a single CR123A light this go around. Which is something I was not planning on, not right now anyways!

I'll send the Rotary to Henry as soon as he responds to my email regarding the problems I'm having with it.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't want to deflate your hopes and excitement but I thought you should know this. I think you should really look into the Jetbeam instead. I had so much problems with the Nitecore I had it returned to the dealer within a few days of owning it, with almost all of the tan finishing wearing off from just clipping it to my rear jeans pocket. The tan finishing seems more like powder coating rather than the hard anodizing that Nitecore claimed it has. The clicky switch is especially soft and flimsy and sometimes it just fails to work. I had tightened the retaining ring but the problem still persisted. It doesn't seem as bright as the advertised lumen too, and the Jetbeam is much brighter. I have had nothing but one bad experience after another with Nitecore lights. Even the D11.2 was so bad it sucked up a freshly charged 14500 in less than 12 hours on the first day of owning it. I thought I had a bad battery but the other batteries too suffered the same problem. No wonder the D11.2 always felt very warm even though I did not switch it on. There are many other problems with my other Nitecore lights but I couldn't remember them. I hope you don't get a lemon when it arrives.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's already on it's way so I'll start crossing my fingers! ... lol

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Congrats on the new light on the way! When your budget is looking better though take a look at the Stenlight, or really any light designed by cavers or for caving. I use a Fenix HP10 for caving and it has served me well with no problems for the past 3 years or so, but I know several cavers who swear by the toughness of a Stenlight. The Stenlight is probably over $200 brand new though.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the new light on the way! When your budget is looking better though take a look at the Stenlight, or really any light designed by cavers or for caving. I use a Fenix HP10 for caving and it has served me well with no problems for the past 3 years or so, but I know several cavers who swear by the toughness of a Stenlight. The Stenlight is probably over $200 brand new though.

Thanks, I did look into the Stenlight, but as far as I can tell it's a helmet mount light.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll send the Rotary to Henry as soon as he responds to my email regarding the problems I'm having with it.
What's wrong with it? I was planning to buy a Hi CRI clickie if a dealer ever gets them in stock before I die of old age.
Was hoping to finally get something that would keep working besides a SF or Malkoff dropin...

I tried a NiteCore EZ123w a few years ago. Hopefully your experience with the brand will be much better than mine was.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's wrong with it? I was planning to buy a Hi CRI clickie if a dealer ever gets them in stock before I die of old age.
Was hoping to finally get something that would keep working besides a SF or Malkoff dropin...

I tried a NiteCore EZ123w a few years ago. Hopefully your experience with the brand will be much better than mine was.

Owen, sent you a PM.

Last edited:

Policecar

Newly Enlightened
I agree with garbman and driver. No headlamp is built as tough as the HDS. Apparently no headlamp maker takes waterproofing seriously. The mighty Surefire is good for all of 1.0m. One is such a small number. It's hard for most people to think of a number smaller than one. Maybe headlamp makers that meet IPX7 rating for one meter should consider advertising as waterproof to 1000mm. Even the Stenlight is only good for 25 feet. You might think a headlamp is more likely to see impact, abrasion, and deep water than a flashlight, but headlamp makers apparently do not think so.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with garbman and driver. No headlamp is built as tough as the HDS. Apparently no headlamp maker takes waterproofing seriously. The mighty Surefire is good for all of 1.0m. One is such a small number. It's hard for most people to think of a number smaller than one. Maybe headlamp makers that meet IPX7 rating for one meter should consider advertising as waterproof to 1000mm. Even the Stenlight is only good for 25 feet. You might think a headlamp is more likely to see impact, abrasion, and deep water than a flashlight, but headlamp makers apparently do not think so.

These headlights aren't designed to be dive lights. Realistically, they are built to withstand dust, dirt, rain, and the occasional shallow dunking. If you need a headlight that waterproof to greater depths, look to dedicated dive lights/headlights.

Policecar

Newly Enlightened
The only dedicated dive headlamp I have ever seen is the Vizion made by Underwater Kinetics. This is only good for 10m water depth.

With all of the great, well engineered, and highly waterproof flashlights (such as Dark Sucks), why are headlamps so far behind? Absolutely none are on par with the best flashlights. Headlamps will inherently see more abuse. A flashlight is commonly a toy, collection item, or something used around the house. A headlamp is very likely used in a cave, on a trail, climbing a mountain, or under your car.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
The only dedicated dive headlamp I have ever seen is the Vizion made by Underwater Kinetics. This is only good for 10m water depth.

With all of the great, well engineered, and highly waterproof flashlights (such as Dark Sucks), why are headlamps so far behind? Absolutely none are on par with the best flashlights. Headlamps will inherently see more abuse. A flashlight is commonly a toy, collection item, or something used around the house. A headlamp is very likely used in a cave, on a trail, climbing a mountain, or under your car.

I agree; thank you!!

Lord Bear

Enlightened
A case could be made that such an emitter would require something like a helmet to be feasible? :candle: