• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What is Don's Most Loved/Coveted/Lusted After/Craved Light Ever?

nbp

Flashaholic
When first dipping my toes into the McGizmo world a few months ago, two quotes I read stuck with me:

RocketTomato
That's mostly true except that McGizmo's are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

run4jc
...prepare yourself! You'll find yourself contemplating which of your lights to sell in order to fund the next 'Gizmo...'

I'm becoming painfully aware of the truth of these statements. Few other lights grab my attention right now.

I'm three Gizmos in, and looking for my next fix. But I can't afford to buy McG's all day long, so if I'm gonna sell some lights and save pennies to get another, I'd like for the next one to really be something cool.

What do you think the best light to ever come out of Don's shop is?

Don, you can feel free to post your thoughts too if you want. :devil:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
This...... (or should I say 'these')

McGizmo_PD.JPG

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't pick just one so i'll say any of them would be a great choice. You just can't go wrong with a McGizmo...Robert.

mattp

Enlightened
I think the desirability of the discontinued models is pushed up by the fact they're harder to come by than any of the current offerings and people are less likely to part with them, and this is reflected in the prices on the second hand market. Obviously this is coupled with the fact they are beautiful to look at and use, and have a great UI with the PD system. I'd put the Ti PD-S and the LunaSol 20 at the top of my 'desirability' list, and I'm lucky enough to own the former, which is a great light. Whether it's 'better' than the Haiku XP-G is debatable, but it's sure nice to have both in the collection!
Cheers, Matt

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Don's most loved & coveted light is the LunaSol 27. Followed right after is the LunaSol 20. I find the LunaSol 20 much more EDC-able, but the LunaSol 27 has fewer compromises in it's lighting abilities when a larger head is acceptable to carry.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be considered sacrilege among the "PD faithful", but I'm going with the Haiku - in whatever form you prefer - XML, XPG, XRE, XPG High CRI, or XPG Warm. My personal favorite is the XPG Warm.

Even as I type this I realize that many might jump on me (openly or silently) that the Haiku isn't the "Most Loved/Coveted/Lusted After/Crazed Light EVER", but I have to apply this position to my OWN use, not the use of all my CPF friends/brothers/sisters.

What do we ultimately want a flashlight for? To PROVIDE A SOURCE OF LIGHT , right? I've owned PD-S, LS27, LS20 - I have had them modded and used them stock, and I absolutely loved and admired all of them. But mostly just 'admired' - (being 'real' here, right?) But ask me which McGizmo I reach for the majority of the time to carry and use, and it's my warm Haiku. Oh, on my early morning, pitch dark dog walks I'll carry the 6V XML Makai and 6V XML Haiku, and giggle with pleasure when I see how they light my way, but that's a specific task. For just 'regular' EDC use, it's the Haiku XPG Warm.

Ask it another way - "if you had to give up ALL your McGizmos but one, which would you keep?" I'd keep my Haiku XPG Warm. Now understand, I'm not looking for a consensus or for anyone to agree with me - many people carry and use their LS20s and LS27s - and even PD or PD-S to the point of having it scratched and abused - they use it as Don intended, as a lighting tool, and I salute those users (you all know who you are.)

Many collect fabulous, beautiful collections - I wish I had the financial means to keep such a collection (not pleading poverty - just choose to invest in other things), and I admire and applaud those collections.

But if I measure "coveted" (not sure about "lust":devil:), I'm reaching for that Haiku. Bulletproof, 3 great levels, perfect beam, efficient, beautiful. I do 'love it'!

And as Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that...."
:)

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a strong preference for the beam pattern of the XRU. I think this is his most overlooked design achievement. Essentially, it's a theater spot light in your pocket. Regardless of what LED you choose, this beam pattern (pure smooth concentrated flood), if it appeals to you, is superior to any other.

I have lights that will out-throw this light (like the Makai, Nailbender 2.8A XML P60), but honestly...you get this beam from ANY flashlight more or less. Is the Makai a more refined beam than the Nailbender light? Sure. But functionally, they are pretty similar to hundreds of other lights out there.

The XRU is a very unique light in the grand scheme of all flashlights, and so too amongst the many great tools in the McGizmo line.

obi

easilyled

Flashaholic
The PD design.

IMO nothing beats the the mechanical 2-way switch (using the Kilroy spring) for reliability, robustness and intuitive UI. I've had McClicky switches fail on me but never a PD.

Then you have the compact size, elegant looks, ingenuity of the electrical isolation provided by the piston, the allure of the tritium at the tail end. What more could anyone ask for?

The 4 McGizmos that I still have in my collection are a Ti McLux-III-T (because this was Don's first Ti light), 2 Ti-PD-S's (one of them is being upgraded by datiled with an XM-L, the other being kept stock) and a LunaSol27. For me these are the creme-de-la-creme of McGizmos although every McGizmo is an excellent light in its own right.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is great that in the previous 4 replies there is love for 4 completely different models of McGizmo lights.

We all have our personal likes and dislikes, types of usage, certain UI particularities, etc. Each one of the models in Don's line-up generally works perfectly for a different person.

In reality, at the end of the day, any one of these different lights would probably do 95%+ of what we need a flashlight to do.

Of my 4 PDs posted above in the picture the one I would ever even consider selling last is the Ti McLux III PD. I've modded it to a Neutral XP-G and the 25/525mA levels are just near perfect dual level. The twisting motion of the threads on the head is the most butter smooth on any light I own.

nbp

Flashaholic
ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond said:
I think it is great that in the previous 4 replies there is love for 4 completely different models of McGizmo lights.

I totally agree! I have really enjoyed reading the responses so far and hearing about why each person fancies a different light. You get a unique perspective on each one.

I had a feeling the PDs and LSs would get a lot of love though.

I'm gonna have to read Bernie's FAQ for like the fourth time to try to figure out the particulars of some of those older models. Man I'm dense sometimes, I just cannot remember all those old naming conventions and what they translate into. :ohgeez:

fyrstormer

Banned
I think a Centauri-modded Lunasol with a Cx1 Pak is the best Gizmo ever. :devil: It offers the reliability of a clicky switch, multiple modes, and a low-power floodlight for up-close work.

As for the most coveted Gizmo ever, that's harder to say. Everyone has different taste. Lots of people like the PD lights because of their unique switching system and easy access to the internals for make modding easier. Other people like the aluminum Aleph lights because of their high modularity. Many of them are getting on in years now, though, and if you get a used one it'll need a scrub and polish, fresh lube, and possibly a new reflector. Aluminum-plated reflectors are highly-reflective, but they do tarnish over time. If it's a particularly old light you'll probably want to get the emitter upgraded too, because the old emitter will seem strangely dim and harsh compared to new emitters.

If you're willing to go partially or completely outside the McGizmo realm, there are several custom builders who make aluminum and titanium lights based on the Aleph system. Aleph is probably Don's most important contribution to the custom flashlight community, because it gives everyone an accepted standard they can use.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
...Aleph is probably Don's most important contribution to the custom flashlight community, because it gives everyone an accepted standard they can use.

I think my most important contribution to the custom flashlight community was being one of those first pioneers willing to take a perfectly good and functional expensive flashlight and chuck it up in a lathe and have my way with it. When I joined CPF the majority of the mods were being done on inexpensive hosts and involved relatively simple and crude mechanical modifications. The focus was on electrical and flux improvements. I wanted to take what I felt was the best light being offered and improve on it by virtue of the new advances in LED's. The SureFire E series were the standard at the time in terms of quality and of a physical size that I found optimal. My Aleph series came about when I determined it was easier to start from scratch than modifiy existing parts but it was based on the E series lights with the intent of modularity with an existing and well designed platform. The SF 6P or "Classic" platform was the one chosen by most of the new and blossoming real manufactures entering the arena. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I wanted to build on it and make improvements on it based on my preferences and priorities as subjective as they may be.

I personally coveted and wanted a titanium light built with components that would hold up to the test of time and use and require minimal maintenance or service. Initially, the required thermal relief of the early LED's precluded the use of titanium or at least to my way of thinking it did. I remember purchasing a sapphire watch crystal from Otto Frei back when I was messing with Ti jewlery and well before LED's were being considered or even existed for applications in a "powerful" flashlight. This was way before CPF existed as well. My intent was to one rainy day attempt to make myself a titanium flashlight that used this sapphire crystal as a window. I would model the light after this really cool flashlight I had at the time made by I think it was called Laser Products and this light used a single CR123 battery and a really bright (relative to Mag) lamp. It was a very expensive flashlight at the time! I may not recall the mfg's name properly but much later when I joined CPF I came to understand that this was the first light being offered by a company who became known as SureFire. Also when I joined CPF and got the LED bug, as stated, Ti was not an appropriate choice in material for LED and my interest in a simple incandescent flashlight was no longer there.

Clearly I am rambling but I think the point I am trying to get at is that for me and what I covet in a flashlight is based as much on some general material choices and design parameters as it is on specifics. What's really cool is that thanks to you guys and your interests and support, I have been able to come up with lights that I wish to own and use. :bow:

I prefer my present offerings because of their modularity and despite some of their inherent shortcomings. In essence, they all share what is important to me and the differences are based on intended use and applications. The complexity is in the electronics and this complexity has allowed for an easy access and simple solutions in the mechanics and modularity.

I would hope that if one of my lights or designs had a clear superiority over all others that I would recognize this and move forward with it. Of course I am stuck designing it, sourcing the components and building it which might provide me with a perspective different from one held by someone else.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don - thank you for your input. I have one question for you based on a thread I started earlier this year (it may have gotten lost in the crash) which pertained to modding your lights. The question was whether or not your lights should be left as they were when they were built, or the LEDs upgraded to take advantage of the current brighter and better color rendering batches of LEDs. The overall consensus was a near 50/50 split.

As you seem to be a forward looking creator who likes the current light but at the same time, I can only imaging, is envisioning the next recreation to make it even better; I'd like to pose the same question to you. Do you feel better seeing people cherishing your older lights stock as they were or do you enjoy reading about people taking your original creations and updating them as technology changes?

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think the "most coveted" would be the Ti PD-S, by a mile.

But the people who have carried LunaSol-27s know what should be most coveted.... :p

I do alternate the above two lights as my EDCs. Lately it's been the LunaSol. It is perfection in an EDC flashlight for me. :party:

As for me, my most coveted Gizmos are (easiest to hardest):

-- a screamer of a Makai :broke:
-- an original 1 cell McLux :buddies:
-- an aluminum S27-PD HA-NAT (5 made):popcorn::popcorn: <-- (my MOST coveted Gizmo, mmmmmmm popcorn)
-- one of the proto Ti-27LTs (3 made) :stupid:

carrot

Flashaholic
Anything based on the PD... they are both beautiful in looks and beautiful in function. It's rare for such a design to be so timeless aesthetically and functionally.

The Lunasol 27 is definitely one of my favorites of Don's lights but rarely sees pocket time due to its larger size. However, it is quite obviously one of Don's most beautiful designs, with a reflector like no other and an almost jewel-like quality.

scout24

Flashaholic
I had a very long-winded reply typed up based on personal opinion, and realized I didn't answer your two questions... Most coveted, as mentioned, probably the PD-S. LS20 running a close second... My vote for best? I am a huge fan of my Haikus. Honorable Mention? Any of the Mules. Love the look of the Ti PD Mule, but the newer Aleph Mule in Al or Ti fit my hand better. I've been fortunate enough to have a PILE of Don's lights pass through my hands, all undeniably works of Flashaholic art, and these are my favorites for true daily use. The beauty lies in there being something for everyone, and whatever you choose was designed and built with the passion and skill to make it the best it could be for the task Don intended. :)

Latest posts