• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What is Don's Most Loved/Coveted/Lusted After/Craved Light Ever?

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned all 3 -- PD-S, LS-27, LS-20. I sold both LS-20s. IMO, the compromises were too great and the overall result was inferior (for me) to both the PD-S and the LS-27. Because the center reflector on the LS-27 is much closer in size to the PD-S reflector, the high on the LS-27 and the high on the PD-S are very similar (although the LS-27 does add extra flood). The LS-20's compromised high is not worth the benefit of the smaller package -- my opinion only. The reduced size eats up too much of the throw for what I want in an EDC light. It's a cool light, no doubt, but it doesn't hold a candle to the LS-27. That said, I can (and do) EDC a 27 and the size doesn't bother me. Other people have different preferences. I also greatly preferred the warmer tint on the LS-27s I handled vs. the decidedly cool tint on my two LS-20s.

The PD-S is the last light I would ever sell. The LS-27 is the second last. My HDS U60XRGT is the third last (and will never be modded).

Really, the only way to do this right is to get your hands on all of them and then decide which is best FOR YOU. The nice thing about finding YOUR McGizmo is that the market will indulge your moving from one to another via the BST board without taking much, if any, financial loss. Eventually you will hit the one (or 5.... :devil: or, uh (Coach) 30.... :bow:) that you know you aren't going to let go. It's a fun journey. Don't shortchange yourself by trying to figure it all out from pictures and other people's reviews. Get those lights in your hands!! :thumbsup:

Edit to add: Regarding your question about how often I use the piston, in normal city EDC, about 90% of the time I use either my PD-S or LS-27 it is with the piston, not the twisty. Out on a trail, I use the twisty more frequently. I am able to operate the twisty action on all of my PDs one handed, with either hand.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Easilyled, Fyrstormer, Souptree, thank you for your input!! :thumbsup:

I was aware that the PD pak was the same on the LS models as the other PD lights. What I was mostly interested in was thoughts regarding the beam profiles and general usefulness between the single emitter PD-S type lights and the multi emitter LS lights. I don't know if I had expressed that very well in my previous post though. :thinking: Anyways, you guys got my drift and gave some really great insight and things to think about, so thank you. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
I will say the PD-S is the last light I will ever sell too. The Lunasol 27 is nice and all, but it is too bright!!! The two fairly low levels on the PD-S mizer are just about ideal for me and great all around for just about anything. I have never been in a situation where I only had the PD-S and thought, "gee, if only I had this other light..."

That said, the Lunasol is in fact a real joy to use and still a wonderful versatile light.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the ones that I have or have had and the last that I would part with, the LS27 for sure, and for a few reasons.
Of course the fuctionality of a bi-stage light and the venerable PD design goes without saying but also the design of the 27 head in relation to the PD body is just too cool and the teardrop grips are dead sexy.
When I first found and joined CPF a short time ago, the small batch of McLuxIII Ti twisties were just released, and I was in love! Such a good looking design that was driven by function and usability, the term "tool" for a light now made sense to me.
Shortly after, pictures of a few of Don's other creations surfaced from a few very fortunate members that managed to score what to this day, many years later, is still my ultimate grail light, the 27LT Ti. Those are the two cell lights in the photo below, of which I believe only 3 exist. An all ti, bomb proof host housing what at the time was unobtanium in terms of emitters, the LuxV X bin!! The PD in the photo is the PD Ti27L Proto, the grandfather of all 27 PD's to follow(XR27, S27, LS27), a grail light as well but the LT is the one for me! You can always tell the "proto" heads because the teardrops were moved closer to the bezel to provide better grip for one handed manipulation of the stages on production units.
I have a aluminum version of the 27LT, is resides in my tool box and still gets lots of use, even though it still has a LuxV emitter! I actually still like that emitter even though it is outpowered but todays standards and was never efficient, just still like the beam pattern. And I still love the 27LT, super strong(could use it for a wheel chock!), excellent grip, and a simple 2 stage twisty interface, a perfect light. Made in Ti, it becomes the ultimate light IMO.
I forget whose pic this is but thanks for the great shot. Maybe one day, I will score one of my own!!
And a thank you to Don for all of your wonderfull creations over the years that we all get such joy, satisfaction, use, in trouble with spouses, odd looks from friends, etc, and all the other reasons we love your creations!!!!
DSC_2889.jpg

Roccomo

Enlightened
I want to say LS20 'cause it's my favorite but I'll broaden my reply to any PD.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I had a luxeon Ti-PD (6-flute) upgraded a few years ago to an SSC-P4 emitter to match my 8-flute Ti-PD-S

This same light has returned today from the datiled spa with an XM-L U2 upgrade and a new, yellow tritium replacing the original green one.

datiled's work is as clean as a whistle and the XM-L is perfectly centered.
The output has increased by at least 1.5 times whilst the runtime is unchanged (current levels are unaltered).
The XM-L produces a wonderfully smooth beam, married up with the McR20 reflector.
Compared to the Ti-PD-S, the beam now has a larger hotspot, brighter spill and is a little more floody overall.
This Ti-PD-XML may have just become my main EDC light. :thumbsup:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any philosophical opposition to upgrading the emitter in my PD-S -- indeed I would be inclined to do so. It is very much in the spirit of McGizmo. But I must admit that the thought of anyone taking that particular light apart makes me feel a little queasy. :green:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I don't have any philosophical opposition to upgrading the emitter in my PD-S -- indeed I would be inclined to do so. It is very much in the spirit of McGizmo.

I agree with you there. :)

The fact that Don is now providing XM-L L.Es for the Haiku, leaves me in little doubt that he would have performed a similar replacement had these emitters been available in the golden era of the Ti-PD-S

In the hands of a very capable modder such as DatiLED, I feel that this is just continuing the logical progression in the Ti-PD-S that Don would have carried out. Its really a fairly straightforward light to upgrade for people of these high skills.

I still have my original Ti-PD-S stock though. Its only the luxeon version that has been upgraded. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
A Ti Ra Clicky should fund a Ti PD-S & would be a great trade up IMO. The PD-S is the last light I would ever sell.

Well, phase I is complete.... the Ti Clicky has been sold and shipped. I have now launched my money lure into water and am waiting for a McLux III-T to bite. Should it prove to be too elusive, and I lose my patience, I will start trolling for a Ti PD-S. :grin2:

jellydonut

Enlightened
PDs for sure. There is still a ridiculous amount of demand for these. I've given up personally, as I cannot justify spending $700+ on them. :|

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you there. :)

The fact that Don is now providing XM-L L.Es for the Haiku, leaves me in little doubt that he would have performed a similar replacement had these emitters been available in the golden era of the Ti-PD-S

In the hands of a very capable modder such as DatiLED, I feel that this is just continuing the logical progression in the Ti-PD-S that Don would have carried out. Its really a fairly straightforward light to upgrade for people of these high skills.
:thumbsup:

Well, thanks to my good friend Scout24 - and this post that finally put me over the edge from my good friend Easilyled, an aluminum PD-S is on the way, and datiLED has agreed to do a heart transplant for me. I'll probably go with a 4500 CCT XML with increased output, but I'm still considering going with the Nichia 119 H1 emitter. So even though I've owned a number of lights from the "PD family", I currently don't own one, so with all this fuss I figured I might ought to check it out again!

But back to the Nichia/high CRI engine - I received a Haiku High CRI light engine from Don and transplanted the engine in my Haiku XPG, and I am SO blown away by the beam quality. Although I have a high CRI mule from Don, I typically use it only for photography - the even lighting and great color rendition lend themselves to close photography lighting - so it hasn't really ventured into EDC use.

But wow - that engine in the Haiku is nothing short of amazing. I have a 15 year old Sheltie - she's in good health, but something didn't agree with her system last night, and between 1 and 3 AM I was up with her 4 times taking her outside to 'do her business.' Each time I had the Haiku High CRI in hand. Even close to DC as I am, it's mostly DARK in those wee morning hours, and I took the opportunity to shine the light on a variety of objects, from the blue "ADT" sign in my front yard, to the green grass, to flowers of red, purple and other colors, to my dog, and other things.

It's fascinating. The colors are just 'right.' Natural. Sure, it's 'only' around 90 lumen, but who cares? I don't! If I need throw, I grab the 6V Makai XML! I likely won't be able to resist doing a mini review on this light soon, but I did post a few photos over here.

But lest I seem to stray off topic, the point is that the Haiku REMAINS my most prized/loved (do you covet or lust for something you already have??) light, but even more so with the high CRI engine! If I go with that emitter in the PD-S, well, maybe....

fyrstormer

Banned
run4jc, if you want Hi-CRI for your PD-S with more output than the Nichia can provide, Cree makes a Hi-CRI XP-E and the Seoul P4 Hi-CRI is also available. Both emitters can be cranked up to an amp, last I checked. There's a mini heatsink board available for the Cree XP series that will make it fit perfectly into a Luxeon/Seoul P4 spot, and the Hi-CRI P4 is obviously a direct replacement.

Also, the smaller E-size emitter die used by both the XP-E and the P4 will focus more tightly than an L-size die will.

nbp

Flashaholic
Huge shout-out to Shado who has hooked me up with my Lusted After McLux III-T! I am thrilled and super excited about seeing this lady in person later this week. Thanks Todd! :rock: