• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What is Don's Most Loved/Coveted/Lusted After/Craved Light Ever?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
run4jc, if you want Hi-CRI for your PD-S with more output than the Nichia can provide, Cree makes a Hi-CRI XP-E and the Seoul P4 Hi-CRI is also available. Both emitters can be cranked up to an amp, last I checked. There's a mini heatsink board available for the Cree XP series that will make it fit perfectly into a Luxeon/Seoul P4 spot, and the Hi-CRI P4 is obviously a direct replacement.

Also, the smaller E-size emitter die used by both the XP-E and the P4 will focus more tightly than an L-size die will.

Thanks Fyrstormer! I appreciate it. I think I've settled on a 4500CCT XML and Derek is going to crank it up to 1 Amp. Just can't resist! The Haiku is filling the need for the High CRI!

stoli67

Enlightened
I think that Derek did the XML PD-S mod for Shelby that I now have.... I wonder what XML this is?

Is seems more cool to me but it is bright that is for sure.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
REALLY like the PD setup, sold my first Haiku due to liking the PD system.

Hoping the Centauri LS20 with HiCRI XP-G (& warm 3mm LEDs) fits my warm bug. After buying the LS27 in AlTiN from Don's garage sale I had my LS20 coated as well as the C-Pak.

1098192840_ei4Dz-M.jpg

I couldn't bring myself to have any modifications done to the LS27.

I've got a neutral Makai that is REALLY nice as well as a 6V Haiku.

Only one....., we'll have to see when the LS20 comes back.

nbp

Flashaholic
Man, this has really turned out to be a cool thread. Way to go guys, keep it up. :thumbsup:

So much interesting discussion on all manner of McGizmos, with everyone sharing what they love from Don's shop. And so many different preferences! Just awesome. To be honest, when I started this thread I figured that there would one or two lights that everyone would agree were the best McGs ever. But that hasn't been the case at all! There has been love for LS20s, LS27s, several flavors of PDs, Haikus, Mules, Sundrops...IIRC something from the old Aleph lines....basically every light Don has made. That tells me a couple things. 1) Don doesn't make duds. 2) There is a McGizmo for everyone. 3) There is no best McGizmo, there is only what works for you and makes you smile when you use it.

I am truly enjoying reading these responses, and I am very pleased to be able to own several of these fabulous pieces. They truly will be the very last lights I'd ever sell. Well done Don, well done. ;)

easilyled

Flashaholic
...IIRC something from the old Aleph lines....

Some interesting facts:-

All Don's current offerings are based on the principles of the original Aleph series ie. E-series parts with interchangeable Aleph-style L.Es.

The original Aleph1/2/3 lights were made in Al rather than Ti.
The Makai is virtually a remake of the original Aleph-3 in Titanium, and the Haiku is similar to the original Aleph-2.

After the era of the Aleph lights, the PDs took over, first in Al.
Then the McLuxIII-T in Ti marked Don's irreversible journey into making exclusively Titanium lights from which the Ti PDs, LunaSols and all the current offerings followed.

fyrstormer

Banned
Thanks Fyrstormer! I appreciate it. I think I've settled on a 4500CCT XML and Derek is going to crank it up to 1 Amp. Just can't resist! The Haiku is filling the need for the High CRI!
Interesting choice. I think the Sandwich Shop has two types of 20mm McGizmo reflectors in stock, one for Seoul P4s and another for Luxeons. The Luxeon version is very slightly deeper and has a slightly narrower rear aperture. You might want to get one of the Luxeon reflectors and see which one gives you a better beam with the XM-L emitter. The increased depth shouldn't cause any fitment issues, but on the off-chance it does, you can just go back to using the Seoul P4 reflector your PD-S came with.

nbp

Flashaholic
I received my Twisty today and it is GORGEOUS. :drool:

What a lovely little light! I am amazed at how smooth the Ti threads are, and the beam is really nice. Decent hotspot with a fairly smooth transition to spill. Impeccable machining, a super grippy head and another sexy tail from Don. (Clearly a booty guy ;) ) :naughty:

When my computer up and running again I will try to get some pics up for you guys. :eek:oo:

I know I have a No Shelf Queens rule, but this one will definitely be a light-duty weekend carry light. We'll let the Haiku and Mules do the heavy lifting. :grin2: