What is the best fire starter?

Jeritall

Enlightened
Barbeque starters (sawdust and wax) and waterproof matches. Another one I once saw was made from a bundle of joke birthday candles (the kind you can't blow out) wrapped together. Not exactly "top shelf" but it sure started a fire!

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
My cheap and easy receipe for fire cubes.

Collect your dryer lint in a gallon size ziplock bag.

1 cardboard egg tray, the one that will hold 36 eggs, or a few of the smaller ones.

A few packages of parrafin wax.

Use an old pot or a coffe can in a water bath to melt the wax. Add the dryer lint to the wax. Ideally you want about a 75/25 lint/wax combo. Pour this mixture into the egg cartons. Once it has cooled cut each egg holder out of the carton. You now have 36 fire starting cubes. They will burn for about 15 minutes and are very easy to light.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coghlans makes some of the best stuff for this!
On this page you have...
#700 - Windproof and Waterproof Matches
and the famous #8746 Orange plastic match box is the BEST for carrying a couple of spare CR123A batts!

On this page you have the "emergency tinder" kits but my all time favorite is the #7940 "Fire Sticks". They are basically compressed wax and sawdust but I took one of these sticks, soaked it in water for a WEEK, shook the water off, snapped the stick in half and lit it without issue. They are just great for starting fires.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
How about a magnifying glass and bright sunlight? :huh:

Good, but limited. The sort of condidtions where you most need to start a fire (dark, rainy, etc) are when that method just doesn't work.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd pack a road flare. Cheap, runs hot for 15 minutes. Water resistant. If you can't start your fire in 15 minutes, you are in real trouble. Of course, I'd pack some of those other suggestions as backups...

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
swedish firesteel looks like the most reliable one out there so far(no fuel, 12000 strikes)

+1 on the Swedish firesteel (said in Swedish Chef voice). I keep one (handle removed) in the handle of my Mountaineer I. Since the original striker is way too large to fit in the handle, I use a cut down blade from a coping saw. Pic:

handle.jpg

- Chris

Nobleman

Banned
I'm a big fan of the doan magnesium match I've had for years, but will be getting a blastmatch for the single handed use. I read somewhere if you're injured and only have one hand available...

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
The disposable lighters are indeed a good item to have. I keep multiple items in my kit. The smallest kit has a Bic lighter, a couple of birthday candles, and a book of paper matches, all sealed in a plastic bag.

Tea candles are also useful. You can light one and slide it under your pyramid of tinder/kindling to get things going. Lightweight and cheap. I suggest keeping them in a plastic bag if they're stored in a hot environment. I've had candles melt in a car trunk before.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

nbp

Flashaholic
I have a swedish firesteel and once you get used to it, it's pretty good. And it will easily withstand a hurricane. The firesteel is what Bear Grylls uses on Man vs. Wild on Discovery channel, so you know it's good!