What is The Best Way To Get Rid of Mice

Empath

Flashaholic
The removal of pests and non-compatible guests seems to be a important consideration of sanitation. It seems sometimes though that humans when considering that need, forget the need and turn it into something inhumane, and treat it as "sport". Yet when confronted with a comment on such will likely justify by claiming that anyone speaking out against such "pleasure" is ignoring the need.
frown.gif

Well, we'll see where it goes.
rolleyes.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
We live in the country and have the same problem come winter. We have cats that get most of them. The rest we get with a standard spring trap baited w/ PB and a chocolate chip.

Empath I agree that quite often it is humans who move into a "pests" enviroment. And the humans then kill the "pest" because they are in their space. We have similar problems with wolves and bears. I imagine that within the last 1-200 years the place you live had native wildlife that people killed to survive. You have benefited from that killing. I don't view mouse killing as a "sport" but as part of living in an enviroment that harbors them, they are welcome to any space that I don't have surrounded by house
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was just searching around google for "TIN CAT" and I see the machine now is available with a clear plastic top, and 'new improved' entry ways that do not need winding -- and so can catch 'up to 30 mice' unattended...

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
I have had more luck with the plastic spring traps. They are more sensitive than the wooden ones.

One trick I learned is to place two facing each other on a known mouse track. If the mice don't stop to eat they will often step on the trigger while walking over it.

Chris

MicroE

Enlightened
I didn't expect so many responses on such an off-topic subject. Wow!

So let me see if I get this straight......
Glue traps are inhumane, but it's o.k. to blast the rodents to mice-heaven with a Smith & Wesson or other small-caliber firearm.

Also, there are a lot of really good mouse traps out there if I am willing to take out a second mortgage or cancel my order for the Surefire A2 and dedicate the funds to the extermination/eradication project.

By the way, how come nobody suggested that I bait the trap with an Arc AAA LE. What mouse could resist such a small and portable light source? Imagine.....No more scurrying in the dark bumping into furniture looking for stuff!
smile.gif

There may be a market here for Mr. Gransee. Mayber mouse headlamps.....

As of today the body count is thus: One combatant is M.I.A., two were released alive and one was not-so-alive (it was a terrible work-related accident with heavy machinery that is being investigated by OSHA---I expect that the employer will be given a heavy fine).

We have been free of mouse-signs for three days now and I TRULY appreciate all of your help. Thanks again.---Marc

P.S.---Lurker--I have a backyard full of wild animals and we all live in harmony as long as everyone respects everyone else's boundaries. The deer and skunks and woodchucks and squirrels are welcome to the yard and the trees. But they better stay out of the house if they know what's good for them!
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

the TIN CAT is only $12-$15

(no relation to "Ted T")

wink.gif

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Sigman:
I have found traps that the mice had merely licked off the peanut butter without setting off the trap (how I don't know - what talent!).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When it happend me I couldn't beleave it either.

I used a to tie a bit of string with PB on it.

Also on the spring traps, if you bend the bait catch up a little you get more leverage, but they get very twitchy. A few went off when I walked by.

Almost got my fingers a couple of times
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

MicroE, don't be so surprised
smile.gif
! who was it who said;
"..build a better mouse trap and the world will a path to your door.."
-- ?

pal251

Newly Enlightened
ahhh reminds me of the apartment that we had a co0uple years ago. From the day we moved in we had a mice problem . They were even pooping on the stove. IT was disgusting. So we went out and got some mice traps. 3 different kinds in fact. We could have produced a consumer reports article on our experiences.
We got the normal snap traps. At first we put a sams choice cheeto on it. But they just stole it. Then someone told us to put peanut butter on them. So we put that on there and bam its mouse catchen time. Sucker snapped it up in a couple hours. we had multiple ones in every room. Had to be carefull in the cabinets. I think we bought like a dozen for that little place. hehe
All the glue traps did that we had was **** it off and drag it across the floor
one day I woke up and noticed the glue trap was gone. It turned up on the other side of the room under the fridge or something. Then we got some live traps. That worked good too but it defeated the point cause im sure they ran right back in but I was moving out shortly anyways for different reasons.
Point of the rant is get the old fashioned snap traps and lots and lots of them. Peanut butter them up . I even did something to them to make them more touchy , so they would snap easier

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"Pet the pretty mousy comments aside"...it indeed becomes a "war" when they are in your environment, leaving their little droppings all around.

You know how they "remember" their trails and the trails of other mice...they leave little urine trails as it drizzles out when they are "scampering about" and the others merely "follow it"...

Outside fine! Inside - THAT'S MY WORLD!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"Pet the pretty mousy comments aside"...it indeed becomes a "war" when they are in your environment, leaving their little droppings all around.

You know how they "remember" their trails and the trails of other mice...they leave little urine trails as it drizzles out when they are "scampering about" and the others merely "follow it"...

Outside fine! Inside - THAT'S MY WORLD! IT'S A HEALTH ISSUE!

Tombeis

Enlightened
I found Decon to work very well.

Mice and or rats eat it, then go outside to find water. No disposal problem.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Tombeis, but then what if some other predator animal eats the mouse? -- this was/is the problem with DDT also -- anyone remember Rachel Carson? She warned us that putting poison anywhere in the food chain could eventual render the spring silent, ie. no more animals at all..
The last bobcat I saw in this area a couple of years ago... was found, crawled under a trailer, dead, due to poisoning of 'vermin' by the farmer next door..

Pyractodoc

Newly Enlightened
The rodenticides mentioned above use coumadin/warfarin for the method of action. This anticoagulant leads to GI bleeding and death by exsanguination. (Effective especially with rodents such as these, which generally do not vomit even after ingestion of harmful or nauseating substances. Side note--their pica behavior and selections when ill or poisoned have been studied for medicinal botanical insights.)One hopes the dying family of mice don't succumb within your wall spaces. Can you say, "eau de mus?"

The non-selective nature of these poisons puts other critters at risk if they are likely to eat whichever bait you've chosen, such as rabbits, birds, etc. Minimal risk to dogs--depends on size/ bait qty. etc.. Cats usually won't consume these baits, and should be trained and encouraged to apprehend the mice. Ho ho. Get a Mauser to get the mice. Mouser....

Norwegian rats from the orchard chose to enter the garage, thence house, on their nightly rounds a while back. Smart, wily. Eluded several types of traps. Finally caught the pair by forcing their path choice to a glue trap (male) and strategically positioned multiple spring traps, onto which the female toppled as she tried to enter the hole they had chewed in a doggie door.

The male pulled the glue trap free of its anchor and proceeded to chew up the controls and elect. cord of a TV. He spent several hours angry, til his rapid dispatch and demise. Different outcome with a baby mouse once caught by a friend in college with a glue trap. Despite her mouse-phobia and revulsion, she watched as I slowly, carefully, (and luckily) managed to extricate the cute tiny guy, who found a home with someone else in the dorm.

Whatever you choose to do, be humane. There are humane modes of death as well as inhumane modes of life...

Pyractodoc

Newly Enlightened
The rodenticides mentioned above use coumadin/warfarin for the method of action. This anticoagulant leads to GI bleeding and death by exsanguination. (Effective especially with rodents such as these, which generally do not vomit even after ingestion of harmful or nauseating substances. Side note--their pica behavior and selections when ill or poisoned have been studied for medicinal botanical insights.)One hopes the dying family of mice don't succumb within your wall spaces. Can you say, "eau de mus?"

The non-selective nature of these poisons puts other critters at risk if they are likely to eat whichever bait you've chosen, such as rabbits, birds, etc. Minimal risk to dogs--depends on size/ bait qty. etc.. Cats usually won't consume these baits, and should be trained and encouraged to apprehend the mice. Ho ho. Get a Mauser to get the mice. Mouser....

Norwegian rats from the orchard chose to enter the garage, thence house, on their nightly rounds a while back. Smart, wily. Eluded several types of traps. Finally caught the pair by forcing their path choice to a glue trap (male) and strategically positioned multiple spring traps, onto which the female toppled as she tried to enter the hole they had chewed in a doggie door.

The male pulled the glue trap free of its anchor and proceeded to chew up the controls and elect. cord of a TV. He spent several hours angry, til his rapid dispatch and demise. Different outcome with a baby mouse once caught by a friend in college with a glue trap. Despite her mouse-phobia and revulsion, she watched as I slowly, carefully, (and luckily) managed to extricate the cute tiny guy, who found a home with someone else in the dorm.

Whatever you choose to do, be humane. There are humane modes of death as well as inhumane modes of life...

Pyractodoc

Newly Enlightened