What is the cheapest decent nvg I could buy?

Flaaaaaaash

Newly Enlightened
Hey, Im buying some NVG but what is the cheapest I can get but I have to be able to see in very, very dark conditions?:candle:

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
Gen-1's don't work in dark conditions, they need some light to work. Most use a deep-red LED for this reason. Some scopes have separate switches for the tube and illuminator (the ATN MO-21 is one that does) but without the illuminator, it isn't good for much at all.

You can spy on animals fairly well with a gen-1, I have found that they tend to ignore the red LED (which humans can easily see) -but a gen-1 is not much good for spying on people. If it's bright enough that the scope doesn't need its onboard illuminator, then it's bright enough that you could just use a decent pair of regular 7x50 binoculars and see just as well.
-----
Gen-2's start around ~$1000, they magnify light 25X as much as a gen-1 does, but even they can't see in starlight.
Gen-3's magnify 35X as much as a gen-1 does and they can see in only starlight, but they cost up around $2500+.
~

kanarie

Enlightened
You can spy on animals fairly well with a gen-1, I have found that they tend to ignore the red LED (which humans can easily see) -but a gen-1 is not much good for spying on people. If it's bright enough that the scope doesn't need its onboard illuminator, then it's bright enough that you could just use a decent pair of regular 7x50 binoculars and see just as well.
agree with your story. but you can also use an external IR light source (some ir leds or a good filter) with your IR scope. I have an 50w spotlight with a 8" tank IR filter. It is a bit heavy but it works OK icw my $100 gen1 (invisable to the eye)

Last edited:

taro68

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i have a Dipol Gen. I nightscope D3MK and it's a very good gen.I scope and if you add the optional lens like the B80 you could increas the brightness.