What is the Rolex of Flashlights?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
My logic is that Rolex is/was a work watch and assumed by people that know not of better watches to be the best. The same thing was the case with Maglite. It was much more than an Eveready or similiar and thought to be the best preSurefire.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now industry standard with most brands is to report lumens numbers at the emitter, not Out The Front.
For the record, that is not true (EDIT) of ANY of the brands I buy or have bought in many years. Eagtac specifies an 'LED' number, but only right next to the FL1 OTF spec. I have no published 'LED' output number for any other lights I own (that I can think of). There's no such thing as an FL1-compliant 'LED' output spec for a flashlight.

I'm quite certain there are still manufacturers out there who use that as their published spec, and who also do all manner of other unscrupulous things I won't detail here, but they don't even exist to me or appear on my radar screen.

What lights are you buying (or referring to) that publish 'LED' output as their output spec? I'm curious (and want to know whose lights to avoid).

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For the record, that is not true (EDIT) of ANY of the brands I buy or have bought in many years. Eagtac specifies an 'LED' number, but only right next to the FL1 OTF spec.
Legitimately hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm very familiar with Eagtac's offerings. While I do love certain features on their higher output rated lights, there is no way they are reporting accurate numbers for output. That's clear when I take SureFire or Streamlight models rated at significantly less lumens than what Eagtac advertises, and the difference with my naked eye is blatantly clear. With the SF or SL models being significantly brighter. (I'm talking same beam profile too. Not one with SF or SL having a concentrated hot-spot that tricks the human eye into thinking the output is brighter.)

Keep in mind, human eye can only detect significantly large differences in output between two lights with the same beam profile. The fact that I can literally see a difference, is very telling. An 800 lumens rated Streamlight should not be significantly brighter than a 1200 rated Eagtac. The fact that it is, speaks volumes.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My logic is that Rolex is/was a work watch and assumed by people that know not of better watches to be the best. The same thing was the case with Maglite. It was much more than an Eveready or similiar and thought to be the best preSurefire.
I'm sorry, but Rolex hasn't been a Tool Watch brand since around the end of the 1970s. If we're talking digital, G-Shock. Analog, Marathon. Two best Tool Watch brands in existence today.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, but Rolex hasn't been a Tool Watch brand since around the end of the 1970s. If we're talking digital, G-Shock. Analog, Marathon. Two best Tool Watch brands in existence today.

Probably not oddly, I've had a GSAR since about 2009. I probably wear it at least one day a week if not more, if I *needed* a reliable watch I'd grab either that or my SKX009 (similar age). In retrospect, I probably would have chosen a model with lume, as I had the hands and dial replaced on the GSAR when I had a CLA done a couple years ago as the original tritium was dead.

I think the lights I buy are influenced by similar criteria, some are more expensive than others, but all offer function and value and none of them are unabusable. (most have some "character" in the anodizing!)

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marathon's entire line-up are winners as Tool watches.
Getting OT here, but I really like the new SS Navigator auto. Were I buying today, I'd seriously consider it as it wears a lot less chunky than the GSAR and relatives. But, I've purchased two "new" (one actually 1974, one late 60s) watches in the last couple years so I really can't justify it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yes, that can be on the short list too. Along with CWC for those CPFers across the pond. (But not MWC. Frickin' scumbag rip-off watch company.)