What is Your Favorite Car/Driving Music?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Re: Anthrax

I love the sound of silence. I never listen to music in the car except by accident or when someone else wants to listen. I enjoy music but when I am alone in a car I love the silence even more. If I must listen I would choose news followed by sixties stuff of all types, from rock to country, then classical and C&W. My wife and daughter listen constantly to C&W of soft rock.

Silence Rocks! Maybe that's why I am so cranky.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened

I have all sorts of things in my CD changer for whatever type of mood I'm in. I do notice that when I'm listening to metal I drive a lot faster (without noticing). For those times it's Metallica, Disturbed, Godsmack, Linkin' Park, etc. But I also have my metal ballad type mix which mellows me out as well as some other miscellaneous stuff.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

Van Halen - OU812, as well as most of their other albums.
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Metallica - Master of Puppets
REM - Out of Time
Nirvana - Nevermind
Alice in Chains - Dirt
INXS - Kick
MTV's 120 min. - Nevermind the Mainstream CD set

These were on constant rotation in my truck at college.

Now a days I get in my truck to seek SILENCE!! Or just listen to talk radio or classical music.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
I've spent a lot of time in my car, logging over 400,000 miles over the last 22 years. In that time, I've cruised, raced, dreamed, fumed and just driven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ginseng,

If you have driven over 400,000 in 22, that is a lot of car time. It's a little under 20,000 miles a year. Are you at all interested in XM Satellite radio? It's great for truckers, and people who drive a lot.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
400k in 22 years is barely double than average. The guy I bought my truck from did 324K in 8 years - over 40K/year!

2dogs

Enlightened
I'm a country music fan so I'll listen to about any music from a C&W station EXCEPT The Dixie Sluts, Shania Twain, Terri Clark, Keith Urban and any other act who is anti-American or wants to end the ownership of guns.
Hank Jr, David Allan Coe, Merle, MG, Hank Snow, George Jones, Roger Miller, Tracy Byrd, Geoge Strait, these are some of my favorites.
George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers live is a great album for weaving through traffic at 100 mph on a Sunday afternoon.
My eight year old daughter's favorite singer is Dean Martin. My ten year old son's is MG, Montgomery-Gentry.

Lara

Newly Enlightened
Marc Cohn
Gretchen Peters
Isabelle Boulay
Aimee Mann
Michelle Shocked
Dire Straits

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

It is alot of miles. Some years more than others of course. The heaviest three saw me put on over 45K per. Sad thing is, if you assume an average speed of 40 MPH, then that's 10,000 hours of my life I've blown not being where I wanted to be. Even sadder, I did most of that mileage around New England. I could have driven around the world over 10 times and gained a lot of life experience. As it is, I just commuted the time away.

Wilkey

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be at about 25k miles a year when I was younger and travelled more, but it is more like 15k-20k miles a year now. I estimate that I've driven 300k+ miles in the 16.5 years I've been driving.

My dad on the other hand has driven well over a million miles (and he's not a truck driver). The only new car he has ever owned was a 1980 VW Diesel Rabbit, and he put 100k miles on it the first year, and well over 300k miles on it in five years before it was wrecked.

I've usually got to have some kind of music or news on in the car, but I often have it turned off on my way into work (to psych myself up for another day at UPS), and on the way home it is usually news via the BBC, unless they are covering sports. For long trips I bring along books on tape or CD, nothing like a 10-12 hour Tom Clancy novel to keep me awake!

-Keith

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My walker automatically plays the first 8 bars of "Born To Be Wild" when I go over 2 mph ...

Reaper

Enlightened
Since I only drive for pleasure these days(and not to get somewhere really quick anymore) my music tends to run the same.

The Orioles
The Ravens
The Five Keys
The Flamingoes
Spaniels
The Chords
The Moonglows
The Penquins
The Turbans
The Clovers
and so on------------

Oh hell, let's just say Doo Wop from '48 to about '60. Anyone else remember Doo Wop? Music that I can actually make out words to.

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Oh man, I'm not seeing a LOT of stuff up here that for me are must haves

Ministry - any record (except "With Sympathy" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif )
Faith No More - The Real Thing or Angel Dust
Mr. Bungle - any record
Mindless Self Indulgence
Laether Strip - any
Beck - Mellow Gold, Odelay, Midnight Vultures (don't have the new one)
Men Without Hats
Dr Dre - The Chronic
Faithless - Reverence

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
Dream Theater is always playing in my truck especially "Metropolis II: Scenes From A Memory." Other notables are Yngwie Malmsteen, Europe, Megadeth, Metallica, 2Pac, Bone, and Bass Mekanik. For mellower music, Sarah McLachlan, Michelle Branch, and M2M.