What light would you use in a SHTF situation? (Zombies, anarchy, society downfall)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Due to the obviously impending zombie apocalypse, I have supplemented my substantial Y2K cache with the following life preserving equipment.

Hasbro Glow Worm, common batteries,warm tint, and sub lumen.
2h6ayr9.jpg

The often forgotten shark suit. It could really save your 6 from deadly bites.

My only experience with zombies is from watching the walking dead.
And as nightshade suggested, I am a little surprised that they aren't wearing riot suit protection for at least their arms and hands.

Maybe a quad-copter with collision avoidance, and lights and camera would be a good tool for clearing a room, house, and or jail. One could fly it off into a corner of the room, and after the zombies go for it, they can be attacked from behind.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
Re: What light would you use in a SHTF situation? (Zombies, anarchy, society down...

No we didn't. As soon as the Sun went down, we became prey for 4-legged, hungry predators. Darkness meant death.

Your correct there where numerous lion attacks on humans in NYC during the 1800's... /sarcasm I think your confusion artificial light with shelter. Shelter provided the human race with security. Battery powered lights unfortunately did not.

mickb

Enlightened
Re: What light would you use in a SHTF situation? (Zombies, anarchy, society down...

Yeap, one of the great importance of fire in human history. It detered predators, offered a protecion. And not just a heat, but also a light. People generaly feel much more safe in light up rooms or streets than dark ones, isn't that true? If it's not start walking in the night without a light ;) Wait a second, why we have a public lighting in cities? Shut it down!!! It is completely useless ;-)

True but it depends on the context . One is a stable environment where powered lighting is the norm versus SHTF meaning major systems down, aka dark and potentailly hostile enviroments where being the only source of light around can attract trouble.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Your correct there where numerous lion attacks on humans in NYC during the 1800's... /sarcasm I think your confusion artificial light with shelter. Shelter provided the human race with security. Battery powered lights unfortunately did not.

Nope. Go back even further than that. There's a reason why walled cities existed in the Middle Ages, and why they no longer do. Those walls weren't just about keeping marauders at bay.

Jiri

Newly Enlightened

True but it depends on the context . One is a stable environment where powered lighting is the norm versus SHTF meaning major systems down, aka dark and potentailly hostile enviroments where being the only source of light around can attract trouble.

+ I agree. Depends on the enviroment and situations.

chadvone

Enlightened

Its a fact that zombies are attracted to flashlights.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Humankind have survived for ages because we tend to stick to a group/tribe, and help others in that group when needed. And those tribes had excellent knowlegde about all the resourses in the area they lived. Modern humans know almost nothing about the nature resourses around them. Wal-mart is not a natural resource :) Try to survive for a long period as a individual , and you most likely die alone. I think arming yourself and pushing away/ avoiding all other pepole exept your close family will in many cases kill you in the long run. Great movie material, but in real life, you prob wont live long.
History can tell whats going to happen in a city under a downfall, just study what happened under the siege of Leningrad. No escape, no resources, and no one survived all by themself without help from others. Stories from survivors always got one thing in common, they all got help from someone.

For zombies, well its so long winters up here that all zomies would be frosen solid most of the year. In summer when the zombies melt. you wont need a light, it's always daylight 24/7 in summer :)

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast

For zombies, well its so long winters up here that all zomies would be frosen solid most of the year. In summer when the zombies melt. you wont need a light, it's always daylight 24/7 in summer :)

Im moving to where you are when it happens ill join your tribe ;-)

BugoutBoys

Enlightened

I think I change mine! After using some Surefires lately I really want to have that durability. I'm thinking my primary would be a Surefire P2X Fury with a red filter. The red filter comes in handy when you want the stealthiness and then if you want to go to normal white light, just take off the filter. It's rubber and has a lanyard attachment point so you could hang it off your wrist or the light itself. My 2nd light would either be a Nitecore P12 or an MH27. The MH27 is great cause it has the multi-color LEDs built in so you don't have to worry about a filter. It also has a very low mode of 1 lumen and a very bright mode of 1,000 lumens with crazy throw. The only downside is it's definitely bigger than the P12 and SF P2X. I'd probably strap it to the bag in it's holster and just pocket the P2X or have it in a holster on my hip.

I'd also bore the P2X for 18650s cause I have a solar charger and can charge them up pretty quick.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

Humankind have survived for ages because we tend to stick to a group/tribe, and help others in that group when needed. And those tribes had excellent knowlegde about all the resourses in the area they lived. Modern humans know almost nothing about the nature resourses around them. Wal-mart is not a natural resource :) Try to survive for a long period as a individual , and you most likely die alone. I think arming yourself and pushing away/ avoiding all other pepole exept your close family will in many cases kill you in the long run. Great movie material, but in real life, you prob wont live long.
History can tell whats going to happen in a city under a downfall, just study what happened under the siege of Leningrad. No escape, no resources, and no one survived all by themself without help from others. Stories from survivors always got one thing in common, they all got help from someone.

Really, I think that next to communal cooperation and fire itself, it was the domestication of dogs that allowed us to rise above the lions and tigers and bears, and related night terrors.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

We survived even before we "invented fire". Simply by sticking together, and helping each other out. What made us rise above the lions? First we started to eat meat. A big brain needs LOTS of enegy. (Thats why the predators always is smarter than their grass chewing pray. Their diet has more energy, and to catch prey, you need some kind of brain to make a strategy.) Then fire and cooked food. Because when we coock food, our digestion system will break down even more of the energy from the food we eat, so that made us afford to evolve a even bigger brain. And then the ball started rolling.

And now the zombies have arrived, with a taste for big brains. So for us to survive the zombies we need to evolve smaller brains. Some pepole have stopped eating meat, and started to eat only grass. Others choose to smoke grass. Both will prob make the brain shrink over some hundred tousand/million years. And we end up zombie proof, but can only say one word... Baaaaaah :)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wal-mart is not a natural resource :)

Sorry jorn, I disagree. Walmart is a natural resource. All one has to do is plant a seed, water it, and within 2 to 3 months, you's got's a brand spanking new Walmart to shop in.

Well, that's what they told me! One stop, for all your shopping needs! So no worries about a light, batteries, or even water and food! ... lol

Oh, Zombies? No problem with them. Walmart sells Zombie costumes, put one on, then splash some "Essence of Zombie", and they'll never see you. Just walk right pass them, no problemo!

Pops

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's no light I'd rather have at hand than the K60.

From the 1 lumen low [that'll run for days] to the 5,000 lumen wall of light, or 5,000 lumen seizure inducing strobe, it does it all.

Bring on the zombies, SHTF, or EOTWAWKI. I'm ready!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not all. Mouth holding a k60 every day is going to be painful. I do a lot of camping, and know that even simple stuff like putting butter on a slice of bread can be hard without a headlamp :) For me, that "one light" have to be a headlamp. I always carry some kind of handheld light on my trips. Dont know why, because i never use them, never. A headlamp just works so mutch better when you need to do chores in the darkness. Two free hands always works mutch better than one :)

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

jorn - that's true, but...

In a true SHTF or EOTWAWKI situation, saving my and my family's life would be better served by having a light that allows us to reach out and see what threats and/or bad situations are coming.

And then we'll deal with the awkwardness of buttering my toast with the K60 set on moonlight mode.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there are threats out there. And total darkness. Then they will see you, long before you see them if you use any flashlight at all. So that might be a bad idea. You see a couple of hundred meters with the light at full blast, but you will be seen, by everyone, for miles :)

PartyPete

Enlightened
Ah yes, a light for the zombie apocalypse. The dead have risen and have an insatiable appetite for human brains and flesh. They are shuffling around aimlessly feasting upon the living, making their way in hordes to our front door.

Time is of the essence, and our lives hang in the balance....but first things first, let's get our flashlights ready. [emoji6]

In all honesty, I'd probably opt for a few AA lights. I'd want to travel light so a few lights, a few batteries and eventually I'd scavenge additional cells...your average store would likely have mostly AAs, C and D cells etc. It's abundant and simple.