What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Purchased today, will be coming in the mail soon: MX25L4CvnT, DriverVNX2, XPL pdt, ANSI lumen 5000, lux 185K, throw 860m.

Because performance specs are close to lights that are significantly larger in head diameter and significantly heavier. Anything with some more throw and similar lumens is a lot heavier and bulkier.

This item has maximum throw to weight ratio in a 2.5 inch diameter package, with 5,000 lumens in a 550 gram package with batteries, versus similar performing lights that weigh about 750 grams with batteries, and that also have larger head diameter.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Darn, this hobby can get additive.....
I posted almost two months ago of three new lights. Since then I have added two more larger lights, a Olight SRMINI ll and a Niwalker MM18II, both more flood lights.
As for why? They fill holes in my lighting plan or they make me feel better. Can't tell which.

I'll keep reading to find out other areas I need to fill :twothumbs

Lateck,

markr6

Flashaholic
Purchased a K40M on ebay. $14. Figured it was a scam, and I guess I'm right. The member is no longer a member, and I got an email saying the "item is no longer available". Well of course, I bought it days before that!

Just arrived from 4Sevens.ca, a mirror polished, titanium Preon1.

Why? Because it's shiny. :p

~ Chance

Qpkp8ie.jpg

Blackbeard

Enlightened
got a fenix e15 cause it came with a 123 battery, was abut $30, and im broke lol. however, to get full lumens on turbo you need a rcr123, so I pop in an olight rcr, but it drains it very fast and brightness steps down, even fresh off the charger. manual says should use the fenix brand rcr, but I figure thats more of a marketing ploy. anyway im just gonna use a cr123, its still pretty bright with that.

ven

Flashaholic
Last is an engine, p60vnT mule, nichia 219C flavour and drivervn2 for flexibility..........why? well i may have mentioned it, but flood covers my uses pretty much 99% of the time. Mule........well no hot spot at all, just a wall of pleasant light to flood anything close without dazzle...............mule rule!

Been used every day 5 days a week so far! love it

Does a gift count! Huge thanks to Jon, latest light i have is a princeVN with drivervn3..............love it, love it more as its a gift from a special friend

Triple xpl HI 5000k, beautiful beam(huge hot spot) , very useful for so many aplications

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
nichia 219C

congrats on that drop in
and your Prince is awesome! (you're most welcome, but honestly, I don't remember sending it to you;))

can you, or anyone else post a side by side beam color comparison of a Lumintop Tool w N219b (or L11c w N219b, or even something with a typical XP-G2), next to something with N219c?

Im trying to figure out what the N219c beam color looks like.

Left to right here are my
Tool N219b, L11c w N219b, and XP-G2 Maratac
IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I will try tomorrow Jon or weekend for you if no one else has, I have a v11r with a 219C inside (my mule won't give a hot spot so probably not much use)and could use either an olight m20 of 4500k or hds 4000k with the nichias.

What I will say is expect 5000k, pretty much a more whiter tint , yet real life colour rendition and not as artificial (or exaggerated for a better word) as the B. A great led for day time and evening use......well tbh it's good at night too, but if you prefer warmer at night, then a swap to a B fOr extra eye comfort.

I would be tempted to get vinh to put a 219C in one of your AAA lights, or even get one for the transplant. You will like it for sure, just maybe not quite as much as the slightly warmer B's........after all a little variety is always good to have .

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rec'd PKDL's PK PL2 in Black & Rainbow Ti, then scored a couple of lights I wanted to buy a couple of years ago, a Xeno Cube & Leather holster and a stainless steel Veleno Quantum D2(that came with both a Ti & Brass DQG Spy for good measure. Oh yeah, Klarus Mi7 in Red, Black & Blue(still trying to hook my wife into EDC'ing)...

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
My latest purchase was a Thrunite Ti HI I purchased on clearance before they were all gone. I'm a big fan of the Thrunite Ti3 lights and this all titanium host with XP-L HI for under $17 was a no brainer. Perfect EDC pocket or neck light.

ven

Flashaholic
That's a bargain and some , had my Tis on my keys for ages and been flawless....love that little thrunite stainless light . Only to find one gripe would be the start in low. As its a work keys light the low is useless , so a quick 3 twists to high becomes a standard practice(can't be a deal breaker for me as its been used for year/s! )

ven

Flashaholic
As promised jon and apologies upfront as tough on a phone, the 219C to the eye is pretty much a pure white.

So left side is a HDS hi cri 4000lm nichia 219b, right side is a v11r with a nichia 219C...............i can make them any tint you want, had blue on both :laughing: about the best i can do is as follows

There is no blue to the eye on the 219C, can guarantee that, just to prove the difficulty i had, here is one beam pic of the same

Yes blue on the 4000k :laughing: so the phone does change the colour/tint, so i had to lock it using a normal light to help out(1st pic). Rach has took the d2x out with her, so cant use a proper camera .

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
As promised jon and apologies upfront as tough on a phone, the 219C to the eye is pretty much a pure white.

So left side is a HDS hi cri 4000lm nichia 219b, right side is a v11r with a nichia 219C...............i can make them any tint you want, had blue on both :laughing: about the best i can do is as follows

Thank you very much!
Yes I agree it is difficult to get a phone that uses autowhite balance to show realistic colors. That is why I include a known CoolWhite XPG in my photos. It tricks the camera into a more realistic relative color for the other beams.

your photo is enough to show me that the N219c is quite cool. thank you!

I did once get an N219c from Vinh. I sold it immediately, because it was too similar to the XPG2 I love to hate. I dont see the N219c as being high enough CRI for my preferences. Your photo confirms it lacks Red Rendering, as I am a huge fan of the relatively pink color of your HDS.

the "look" of a beam changes based on ambient light, so during the day, I agree a 5000k+ LED will look white, and 4000k will not. That changes after a few hours of adaptation to indoor lighting at night. My home incandescent is 3000k. In that setting, and N219b is quite white, not pink or orange at all, because relative to my ambient 3000k, the N219b is 1000K cooler. That makes me dislike a 5000k color, at night. It IS too blue when my eyes are adapted to 3000k. :)

thanks for confirming my bias against 5000k color for use at night. I agree completely that 5000k works better than 4000k when my eyes are adapted to sunlight, during the day. Imo, LED colors are perceived relative to the white balance the brain is adapted to at the time of day when the flashlight is being used.

I can assure you that a 4000k N219b looks nice and white, at night. In fact, it too is too blue for me, when I wake up in the middle of the night, when I much prefer the gentle warmth of 3000k. Just my personal observations. No "best", as my preference changes based on what ambient light my brain is adapted to at the time.

Thank you for taking time to post photos.

ven

Flashaholic
Welcome Jon, i prefer the nichia 219C in my mule here

Now i am used to it, the 5000k of no hot spot really makes colours real(not artificial) and looks very slightly on the warmer side of 5000k.

One thing i love about the v11r though is the infinite control ring UI, i get up, dial it a little for more output, dial down as i get to bed..............no thought, no clicking.............just so user friendly(like the rotary but easier as towards the head, not tail) well for me anyway as always subjective and just a case of what you get used to!

Koam

Newly Enlightened
My Lumintop Copper Tool arrived yesterday. Price was only $24. I haven't tracked prices on it but most sellers were twice that. Maybe it was a mistake since they're no longer available from the seller. Order was fulfilled by the big river in South America.

pxd

Newly Enlightened
Surefire E2D LED Defender. Still going strong after a number of years of (admittedly light) use. I'm feeling drawn to the replacement Ultra, though. pxd