What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

I just received my new A2L-HA-RD in the mail today, and I'm extremely impressed :). I've literally wanted this light since before they announced it, but couldn't justify the high price. I was lucky enough to snag a good deal over in the MP, and now I finally have it...

I bought this to replace my L1 as my primary, front-pocket-carry EDC. The L1/A2 UI is brilliant, but I've never liked the beam of my L1. It's very messy/ringy, which I do notice when illuminating things besides white walls. It's also very green, and seems to draw comments from even non-"flashlight people". I also wanted a nice red light, since I do a lot of things in the dark (probably typical of someone with our "condition") and don't like ruining my night vision.

This light is seriously well executed, one of the best looking SureFires I own. The beam is nice and smooth, and has a cool tint, but not sickly green. I imagine that the additional red will help render warm colors, but I'll find out when it gets dark.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my new A2L-HA-RD in the mail today, and I'm extremely impressed :). I've literally wanted this light since before they announced it, but couldn't justify the high price. I was lucky enough to snag a good deal over in the MP, and now I finally have it...

I bought this to replace my L1 as my primary, front-pocket-carry EDC. The L1/A2 UI is brilliant, but I've never liked the beam of my L1. It's very messy/ringy, which I do notice when illuminating things besides white walls. It's also very green, and seems to draw comments from even non-"flashlight people". I also wanted a nice red light, since I do a lot of things in the dark (probably typical of someone with our "condition") and don't like ruining my night vision.

This light is seriously well executed, one of the best looking SureFires I own. The beam is nice and smooth, and has a cool tint, but not sickly green. I imagine that the additional red will help render warm colors, but I'll find out when it gets dark.

Congrats! Yes, those new A2L's do look sweet...I bet they're even nicer looking in person. Can't wait to see some photo's/beamshots. If I can find one on the MP at a decent price, this might hold me over until I can afford a UB3T/M3T.

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a McGizmo Lunasol 20 and another Mint SPY 005 at the same time yesterday. I bought the Lunasol because of its reputation. I bought the SPY 005 because I really love all the Cool Fall lights and the Mint 005s are becoming harder to find.

SteveU

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Fenix LD20 R4. Seems to have a fairly strong beam, pretty well made and uses regular AA batteries. Decided it was time to move into the 21st century and get a modern LED light. Just afraid that this might be the start of a bad addiction.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the Fenix LD20 R4. Seems to have a fairly strong beam, pretty well made and uses regular AA batteries. Decided it was time to move into the 21st century and get a modern LED light. Just afraid that this might be the start of a bad addiction.

Sorry to inform you Steve... but the seed had just been planted lol! :welcome:
By the way my first real LED light was the Fenix L2D Q5 (which was the version before the LD20 lol). What a coincidence!

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2 and 3-Mode drop-in arrived from lighthound today, I should have ordered five or ten. I am really impressed with the light and $13 three mode drop in. Can't wait to drop a high quality pill in the spare body.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regretting selling my Ra Clicky. Only thing I didnt like about that light was the light output was not consistant, and had that terrible burst mode that I just wanted to remain consistent (output). That's probably why I decided to keep the Twisty instead.... Probably going to be my next light. Does anyone know if they got rid of that horrible feature?

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Does anyone know if they got rid of that horrible feature?

I dig that "horrible feature"! I hardly ever need burst mode for more than a few seconds, the step down is barely noticible, it extends the runtime greatly, and one can re-enter burst as often as one likes. Different strokes for different folks. I do agree that maybe changing the feature to be optional may make the light appeal to more people, but if it was optional, I would definitely leave that feature on!

"Horrible" is a bit strong IMHO. You would let burst mode prohibit you from owning such a wonderful light?

Last edited:

stallion2

Enlightened
i've now added a tactical Quark 123^2 titanium to the collection.
why?
a) i've been very pleased w/ the Turbo 123^2 i purchased several months back.
b) 4sevens just knocked the pricing waaaaaaaaaaayyyy down on their titanium parts and this is my first titanium light. for $60 altogether i would have been crazy not to.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
leatherman s3. great little light, clips nicely to the side of my wave holster.
bought it cuz my old edc 30lm nebo couldn't reach far enough, 20+ stories building shaft, and long duct runs above the ceilings are something my old edc couldn't work with very well

Last edited:

njet212

Enlightened
Clicked the buy button for Preon Revo SS. Why?

Because i received newsletter from 4seven and i got easily tempted by beautiful of they said this beauty wont last long.

Can't wait to hold it on my hand !!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought this to replace my L1 as my primary, front-pocket-carry EDC. The L1/A2 UI is brilliant, but I've never liked the beam of my L1. It's very messy/ringy, which I do notice when illuminating things besides white walls.

Which gen is it? Doesn't sound like a new one...the older gens were always that way.

Yeppers! Just grabbed one myself! Funny, mentioning how I wanted one, and two days later one show's up on the MP at a VERY nice price. Can't wait to check this bad boy out. I was thinking the other day how a red L1 would be nice...well, may not need one now!

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a couple more Covert Nose Photon Freedoms in NV Green. They went into the hurricane stock. The one I've used continuously since Katrina finally gave up the ghost and was replaced from stock. Where we live it's particularly important to have everything totally in place for the last third of hurricane season.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a couple more Covert Nose Photon Freedoms in NV Green. They went into the hurricane stock. The one I've used continuously since Katrina finally gave up the ghost and was replaced from stock. Where we live it's particularly important to have everything totally in place for the last third of hurricane season.

These sound neat! Ya got a source for these? A link? The military (i.e. true mil-spec) NVG/YG penlights are expensive as hell. I have to do the same for Tornadoes!

cjay

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought my first modern flashlights, Fenix LD20 R4 and LD01.
Before I only had a 2xAAA Mini Mag from 2002 :candle: — so it was quite a big difference. :)
I use the LD01 for EDC on my keychain and the LD20 for biking, camping and occasional carry. They complement each other well and I like them a lot, but I already feel the need for a third light. I definately want something with a moonlight mode to be able to sneak around in the dark while keeping a low profile :sssh:.
Not being able to switch back and forward between low and medium or medium and high is also something that annoys me a bit with the Fenix lights.
The Ra Clicky High CRI would probably satisfy me, but I'm not yet ready to spend that ammount of money. Are there any alternatives that are pocketable, have high CRI, direct mode switching and quick access to strobe? The interface of the Liteflux LF3XT sounds ok (though not as good as the Clicky), but there is no high CRI version, right?

Tiki_torch

Newly Enlightened
Just put in an order for a Maratac AAA, my first flashlight that didn't come from the dollar store.

I've started putting together a set of small everyday carry tools and decided I needed a small easy to carry light with multiple light levels.

Unfortunately now I learn that the new ITPs A3s and upcoming Maratacs will have the better L/M/H UI. I think I'm going to get a new light real soon. Crap ... is there a cure for flashaholism?