What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

metakorn

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a Surefire Fury P2X tactical to use as a weapon light. Plan to get a McClicky for it.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I splurged and got a NIB Defense Dept. contract-overrun Inova X5T-HA (originally available through Countycomm). It is definitely outmoded by today's performance standards, using a non-reflectored grouping of five separate 5mm leds, but I have always wanted a "pre-Nite-ize" example of an Inova light, and the sterile markings and olive drab HA finish make this one somewhat more fun to have. It is also supposed to be a battery vampire. Does anyone know the approximate year of manufacture?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I splurged and got a NIB Defense Dept. contract-overrun Inova X5T-HA (originally available through Countycomm). It is definitely outmoded by today's performance standards, using a non-reflectored grouping of five separate 5mm leds, but I have always wanted a "pre-Nite-ize" example of an Inova light, and the sterile markings and olive drab HA finish make this one somewhat more fun to have. It is also supposed to be a battery vampire. Does anyone know the approximate year of manufacture?

Have to admit, glad I bought my Inova X5 about a decade ago. Before Nite-Ize got its hands on the company.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
PKFL2LE. Must be from seeing those PK DesignLab banner ads day after day after day after day after day... :eek:

FTGFOP

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered a pair of Xtar B20s for my cycle. Looking forward to some high speed night riding :D

Joys_R_us

Newly Enlightened
Got my SC600w Mk II L2 today. Very nice.

Will use it as EDC and backup lighting (ceiling bounce) in my vacation home where the electricity is cut off quite frequently (a flashaholic's dream place ;-))

kj2

Flashaholic
Fenix TK12. Mainly to try out the mode-switching. And I like it :D
But some more output would do the light justice.

MBentz

Enlightened
Nitecore TM26. Bought it because I wanted it. I have zero use for something with this many lumens, but it sure is fun to play with!

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight S15 Ti - high polish version (in the mail right now :green: ).

Because I have a nice selection of lights now that run on various battery types including RCR123 and 18650, but for some reason no quality, handheld 1x AA lights yet (just a pair of Fenix HL20's + some Sipik SK68 / similar). And no titanium lights. :( And find myself gravitating towards neutral white or even warm white lights. Also smaller lights in general are more useful (to me!) than lumens blasters. And already have an S10-L2 Baton which I love for many reasons.

Considered a ZebraLight, but afaik they don't come in titanium. So an S15 Ti seemed like a nice, 'low risk', affordable choice to complement the lights I already have. Might become an EDC too. Anyway, a good looking + quality 1x AA light will always find its uses. :)

BWX

Enlightened
Thrunite TN12 2104 because it's a great deal, is crazy powerful, and has a tail switch unlike SC600 that does not.

I still wish the TN12 didn't use a side switch at all even for adjusting power output, but still it is a great light for relatively cheap.

It's my new EDC.

Mud Gecko

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a LED Lenser P7 as a general purpose light, I'm still a newb as far as lights go but I'm not impressed with it so far. My first decent light was a LED lenser MT7 and its features and functions are much better imo.

Looking forward to future purchases. I need a edc key chain light, I been looking at a Fenix E01.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have an old LED Lenser (v2) myself and I certainly would not call it bad. Has served me well. :)

But looking at their current offerings, they're way overpriced. For the same money there are countless better offerings out there.

Looking forward to future purchases. I need a edc key chain light, I been looking at a Fenix E01.
From what I've read "virtually indestructable" is their main attribute. And small. And affordable. What's not to like? You could certainly do worse!

Last edited:

Mud Gecko

Newly Enlightened
Have an old LED Lenser (v2) myself and I certainly would not call it bad. Has served me well. :)

But looking at their current offerings, they're way overpriced. For the same money there are countless better offerings out there.

I wouldn't say its bad, the light output is good but overall not as good as the MT7. I'm keeping my eye out for something different now.

From what I've read "virtually indestructable" is their main attribute. And small. And affordable. What's not to like? You could certainly do worse!

Yea going off the reviews here, it seems like a good choice.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the last couple of months, I've picked up another Fenix TK41, the 900 lumen version, up from the 860 lumen version I already own. Love the availability of AA batteries. Waiting on pulling the trigger on a Fenix TK61 till I see a few more independent reviews.

Also picked up a Nitecore TM15 (2450 lumen) from Illumination Supply because the price was too good to pass on.

Raven18

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a 47s QTA because I got it for $52 and I have been wanting a good Single AA EDC/Backup Light :)

soul347

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Nitecore SRT7 in the mail, which is the first flashlight I've ever owned. Reasons for purchase:
-Preparing for big upcoming camping trip with large open fields, so the throw distance might come in handy
-Love the variable brightness. I didn't want to be restricted to only a few presets
-I like how you can move the ring and select the mode you want before you turn on the light
-I like the extra functionality of the 3 colored LEDs, especially the red light for maintaining night vision.
-Strobe mode for self defense if ever needed
-General use around the house and such

Been using it for a few days, and so far I love it. Might be a bit large for an EDC, but it's been doing the job so far

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman C20C, which I finished modding last night:

It's is a small single 18650 side-switch light. Orginally it came with a cool white XM-L2. I performed the following mods on it:
1. Replaced driver with Nanjg 105c with DrJones lumodrv firmware.
2. Performed Comfychair's FET mod on the driver. Removed all 7135 regular chips and replaced with a single FET.
3. Replaced driver wire with 22 gauge Silicone.
4. Replaced switch with Radio Shack micro-momentary tact switch. Attached switch and driver to 20mm contact plate.
5. Replaced emitter and star with Triple XP-G2 neutral on Noctigon direct copper star. Place 7 copper disks behind star to add thermal mass and raise star into correct position.
6. Replaced reflector and lens with 20mm Carclo narrow frosted triple-TIR. Polished the TIR to remove the frosting for better beam.
7. Solder-braided tailcap and head springs.

I'm running this light on Panasonic 20r 18650s. It's incredibly bright... but gets incredibly hot. The bottom of the head becomes too hot to touch after 30 seconds at max on a fresh cell. This light is perhaps a bit small for such a mod. It's drawing over 7 amps.