What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Hound Dog Super w/4000K XP-L.

Why? The regular version of the Hound Dog XP-L was supposed to be my "bright toy", but turned into my bright tool, instead, and lives in my work bag.
So I figured I'd get a HDS.
Now they're both in my work bag:rolleyes:
FT7Fm6I.jpg

This one's emitter has a greenish cast, so I've ordered some of Lee Filter's Zircon minus green filters to clean it up, along with a couple of their very light diffusion filters to try to broaden the spot a bit on another Malkoff, an old M61N.
Love playing with Lee filters. It's like modding without the effort, and instantly reversible:)

Splitrail

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore MH10S.

Why?
It was the one light I could find with the features that I wanted.
And, I've been satisfied with Nitecore products in the past.

Pros............
Range of brightness from 1 lumen to 1800 lumens, with 3 well spaced settings in between (1>50>300>1050>1800).
Also has strobe, beacon, and S.O.S. (all "fluff" to me, but nice to have).
Side switch only, tail standing, good ergonomics, good size & weight.
USB-C charging.
Good U.I., efficient memory, battery & charging indicator.
Good price ($92.42), which included an additional NL2150 5000 mAh battery & battery holder, in addition to the
standard NL2140 4000 mAH, and the accessories that come with it.............holster, clip, charging cable, spare o-ring, lanyard.

Cons...........
Had to send back 2 units due to appearance (fit & finish) issues.
The first two did not have the logo, switch, and "hot" warning symbol aligned at all.
Very awkward to look at.
These were purely cosmetic issues and did not affect the function of the flashlight at all.
The only other caveat was one that I had seen addressed in the reviews, that is, the switch is difficult to locate in the dark.
I solved this by cementing a small "button" made from the tip of a Pilot G2 "clicky" onto the body of the flashlight just to the
rear of the switch, for tactile enhancement - PERFECT!

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preon 2 MK 111 Nichia 219 5000K 92 CRI. 1 - 200 lumens which is all I need these days for EDC. Becoming very fond of AAA lights, and the 2 AAA form factor is easier to manipulate than the 1 x AAA, and gives much longer runtimes + higher lumens if needed.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore PD EX11.2 w 219b 4500k 9080 D200 SW45k

Because I like the Ramping UI, and I smile every time I see the Hot Pink tint :)

on 16340:
minimum 0.03 lumens
maximum 300 lumens

2Xi2ePEl.jpg

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
Lumintop 2.0 Tool high CRI for the bedside and a Nitecore GITD TIKI fir the key fob. Both are great little lights!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta Charlie

Because the exact engraving fit to the character and I thought that was fate. Turned out really nice.
Technically I needed stainless steel...but this will work.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received a Novatac Spa Defense because I like this version with black stainless steel bezel.

e1122WQl.jpg

did the 250 click unlock, programmed it to 4 modes with no strobe
A max which is 94 lumens,
B 5 lumens,
C 30 lumens,
D 0.08 lumens, which is minimum

Very entertaining multi function programmable clicky..
Ive had beacon on, then off, last mode memory on, then off. Change outputs on each of the 4 presets, several times, logged when the step down and low mode flicker happens... set it to always come on at maximum, then changed that to always come on at 10 lumens, then.... clicky heaven.. lol

more fun than a barrel of monkeys
8PcWfiDl.jpg

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Malkoff MDC HA AA
What had happened wuz, my only 1xAA handheld, an old Zebralight SC52w, went through a brief spell where it was acting up-but then stopped :shrug:
It was replaced for EDC duties, but that was an 18650 light. I still wanted a reliable 1xAA as a backup for my headlamp when backpacking. Also wanted to try a MDC light for it's tailswitch and UI, plus it was a chance to check out a neutral high CRI SST-20 for the first time, so...3 birds with one stone, and all that.
Awesome light, overall, but I have to send it back for replacement, as the low mode is a tiny fraction as bright as it's supposed to be(which was only .3l to begin with), and utterly useless.

-Malkoff MDC HA 123
No justification at all here, pure want. I loved the AA version, and was wishing the 123 supported 3.7V li-ions.
Someone posted about these new Keeppower li-ions that steadily output 3V(which also fixes the lack of current regulation on the MDC lights), and the next thing you know, a MDC 123 and half a dozen of those cells were otw to my house.
Funny that, aside from work, the light I had no real use for is the only light I've really used since getting it.

Loving the high CRI neutral SST-20 emitters in these.
Whenever I get around to sending the AA in, Keeppower also has li-ion AAs that put out a constant 1.5V, and some of them will be waiting when the replacement comes:thumbsup:

Nederick

Newly Enlightened
Olight Baton 3. By far the best most powerful tiny bundle of rechargeable brightness I've ever held in my hand

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Streamlight protac 2l-x, bought because it's a simple and bright tactical light with well regulated runtime (a favorite category), which is good because I don't like lights that push the brightness limit and as a result have a thousand step downs. Also it can use an 18650, 16650 or two cr123's. It also has a nearly perfect beam profile for my preference and a nice deep carry clip.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight protac 2l-x, bought because it's a simple and bright tactical light with well regulated runtime (a favorite category), which is good because I don't like lights that push the brightness limit and as a result have a thousand step downs. Also it can use an 18650, 16650 or two cr123's. It also has a nearly perfect beam profile for my preference and a nice deep carry clip.

Not the 'last' light I've purchased, but there's one on the table next to me right now, and I still like it. I can't find much not to like about it, and you'll probably like it too.

Decableguy2000

Newly Enlightened

I have had one for about 2 years and still is in rotation. Love the deep carry clip. On a different note I have a Nitecore MT10C incoming.

Bogie

Enlightened
859b179fc580d7bf6c33bae14d711485.jpg

Added a silver Gerber Infinity W/white led to go with the others I have. (2x CMG Green W/White, 1x Green Gerber W/white led, 1x CMG Black w/red led)

I'm always looking for original lug body CMG/Gerbers in various colors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuyume

Enlightened
Fenix E12 v2.0 and HM23, direct from Fenix. 20% off and free shipping sale.

For many years, I carried a Leatherman Serac S3 as my EDC light, but unfortunately, CR123A batteries have become difficult for me to find in my area at a reasonable price, and I made the decision to move to AAs wherever possible.

My Serac S3 still works and is a wonderful device, but I replaced it a few years ago with an Inova X1. I almost immediately regretted that decision for two very simple reasons: the terrible twist activation mechanism that requires two hands to operate and the terrible choice by Inova to make the X1 turn on in Hi mode. If it wasn't for everything that's wrong with it, the Inova X1 would be a pretty nice flashlight (haha)!

I have had my eye on the E12 and HM23 for a long time, and finally got around to pulling the trigger this past week. The Inova X1 is henceforth relegated to household/nightstand use only, and the E12 v2.0 is now my EDC light, with the HM23 going in my backcountry ditty bag, to be used while camping/backpacking/bushcrafting/etc/whatever.

I used to always carry my EDC flashlight, an extra battery, Victorinox Rambler knife, Fisher Bullet Space Pen, and mini Bic lighter in my makeup case in my handbag, but since moving to Northern New England, where the wearing of makeup is no longer an everyday thing, I now keep my EDC "survival kit" in its own little Martha Stewart zipper pouch I got on clearance at Staples. It was a set of two pouches, with actual brass zippers, even, so the larger one holds my spare phone battery, charger cable, and headphones.

TBPH, the Serac S3 (which I recall hearing was actually made by Fenix, is that right?) is probably still a better light, but the E12 v2.0, aside from its color temp (the HM23 is a much better color, I would say perfect, in fact), is much easier to find batteries for, and being some 15 years or more newer, probably has better electronics.

Bflanders

Newly Enlightened
White Barrel flashlight, dragon driver with amber secondaries.

why…..I am in love with Barrel flashlights! Not sure why I love them so much but I do