What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious, so I'll try to chase that patent down some time to see if it might explain the lack of lights with that DF setup in the market. It is odd.

Just to follow up on my own question posed regarding the unique nature of the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA's 'dual fuel' feature and possible reason(s) why other manufacturers haven't (for the most part) adopted a similar design:

After scanning through this patent doc, it appears that that it pretty well covers those related design aspects and thus likely answers the question.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Just to follow up on my own question posed regarding the unique nature of the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA's 'dual fuel' feature and possible reason(s) why other manufacturers haven't (for the most part) adopted a similar design:

After scanning through this patent doc, it appears that that it pretty well covers those related design aspects and thus likely answers the question.

Thanks AZ for providing that information.

SixCats!

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The last two I bought were a lumintop tool aa 2.0 nichia and a sofirn sp36 with anduril 2 and 4000k lh351.

The nichia tool I bought because I am really a fan of that light but not so crazy about the cool white low cri emitter on the standard version. The sp36 is unlike anything I've had before, being a big coke can quad emitter light that uses three 18650's. I was also curious about the anduril ui. It should be a fun light to use, and brighter than anything else I've ever had. It could be a great option to keep in my truck. It also functions as a power bank which is a nice bonus feature.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi aznsx. Firstly Sir, I have to ask, do you own/drive a "NSX" ? If so, waaay cool! I must say, great minds think alike, that is to say, I too have thought about all the points you made regarding the 1L-1AA (multi cell type) light. It's hard to believe that (to the best of my knowledge) there isn't another light like this in the Market. At this point, I truly believe this Streamlight is the best light for the "Zombie apocalypse!" Now, if I could only find a 18650 Flashlight that (aside from using CR123's) could use AA's as well.

SixCats!

I own a Zebralight that will use AA's, 14500's, and CR123's. It is an old light and it does not have a model number on it, but I think it is a SC80. Also, a company called Nicron makes a light that takes a AA and 18650, model N81. I have a few of their lights and they are great budget flashlights. I do not own the N81 yet, but it is on my Amazon wishlist!

SixCats!

Enlightened
I own a Zebralight that will use AA's, 14500's, and CR123's. It is an old light and it does not have a model number on it, but I think it is a SC80. Also, a company called Nicron makes a light that takes a AA and 18650, model N81. I have a few of their lights and they are great budget flashlights. I do not own the N81 yet, but it is on my Amazon wishlist!
Hi mikekoz. You sound as if you have a very cool (early ?) Zebralight. I wish Zebralight had such a Flashlight today. Thank you for providing the Nicron information. I will check out the N81 pronto!

SixCats!

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light on OfferUp, because it was $20.
image.jpg

Brigadier

Enlightened
Nitecore MH25S. I wanted a coat pocket tactical thrower that doesn't take dedicated, proprietary batteries like my Olight Warrior X Pro does.

PacificMoon

Newly Enlightened
Pelican 2350 because I wanted an AA light in addition to my AAA Mini Mag (my indoor light). Considered the Pelican 3310/3315 too but 1xAA is a lot more convenient. I have a radio that uses 3xAA so I have exactly 1 AA left over of every 4xEneloop AA group I have that can be used in the 2350. Inflation pushed me to buy it this week but I was already planning to get it before the next fire (and election actually...) season.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Pelican 2350 because I wanted an AA light in addition to my AAA Mini Mag (my indoor light). Considered the Pelican 3310/3315 too but 1xAA is a lot more convenient. I have a radio that uses 3xAA so I have exactly 1 AA left over of every 4xEneloop AA group I have that can be used in the 2350. Inflation pushed me to buy it this week but I was already planning to get it before the next fire (and election actually...) season.
I really like the 2350.
There was a 100 lumen 1st gen that was a thrower and man did it throw out a nice incan minimag-esque pencil beam.
But the 175 lumen 2nd gen does a great job at providing a nice general use beam.

Good idea with the 4th eneloop too.

Skier

Newly Enlightened
We are Flashaholics. Let's face it, out of all our lights, we will really only use a maximum of 3 of them, and the rest will just collect dust. Why do we add to our collection? Are we bored? Want to out-do the co-worker? Are we explorers? Do you feel you have to catch up with today's current bulb? Or do we just need a new toy?

I'll start and say the last flashlight I had purchased was the Ra Twisty 85-TR. I love the quality that Ra offers. I purchased the light because of the red low. Also for the durability. But the main reason I jumped on this light is because it is discontinued, and I do not want to say "what if" in the future. This light would classify as one of my toys, but a very dependable toy at that. Whether I need to use it as a kubaton or use it as a backup to my QAA on 14500.

What is your reason? Excuse? lol
Who needs an excuse? 😏 I enjoy the technology evolution of light design and the infinite variation of battery, form factor, lens, and emitter. I find my stashes at estate and garage sales and enjoy getting an orphan light and bringing it back to its original glory. Bonus, its a cheap hobby compared to other pursuits. I'll toot my horn and say I have become an accidental expert on pulling duraleaks out of old Maglites. 🤓

Justamessenger

Newly Enlightened
Who needs an excuse? 😏 I enjoy the technology evolution of light design and the infinite variation of battery, form factor, lens, and emitter. I find my stashes at estate and garage sales and enjoy getting an orphan light and bringing it back to its original glory. Bonus, its a cheap hobby compared to other pursuits. I'll toot my horn and say I have become an accidental expert on pulling duraleaks out of old Maglites. 🤓
The pandemic has us spending time away from others, and there's a satisfaction in weighing all the variables, coming to a conclusion, and testing it out yourself for very little money. I buy from the source, and don't mind waiting a month, having something on the way is it's own satisfaction.

The last parcel was a Wurkkos HD15R (right-angle LH351D and red SST20) to grab whenever red is appreciated more than the standard model's SST20 spotlight. I got 10% off for rounding up the order with Wurkkos Wk02 (penlight SST20 4000k AAA/MiMH) in black and brown. This was just for fun, complementing what I'm wearing, like belts or shoes, but I'm impressed.

YAK-28

Enlightened
I picked up a Klarus rs10 USB rechargeable spotlight and floodlight. I was looking for more of another way to recharge cell phones during a power outage, but was happy to find a very nicely made light. Smaller than I thought and a very solidly built. I might get another one for my wife. It won't fit in your pocket, it is more of an emergency back up that covers a lot of areas.

Msf

Enlightened
I picked up two Foursevens Quarks during the 30% off sale on April 7th. Like the ability to change up battery tubes to match up with the priority for pocketability or runtime.

kj2

Flashaholic
Fenix PD36 TAC. Wanted a light with some punch but not so big form-factor. And lock-out switch is also a nice bonus.