What's the deal with automotive inverters being so short-lived?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've 'broken' two of these things, one was a 300/600W "Roadmaster" that got very light use, and the second a 350/700W Coleman job that also got very light use. When the second one failed, it was just charging my wife's Kindle-- and then started beeping like mad. (Earlier in the week, I'd been using it for a heating pad on my lower back, around 50W, so I didn't think the Kindle charger would have done it in, unless it was something to do with the square wave or stepped approximation to sine wave the inverter put out.)

Recently, I dismantled it, and I think one of the diodes must have failed, since I could get a continuity beep no matter which way I put the multimeter leads on it. The capacitors all looked good, and I didn't smell any obvious burned smell.

I then hooked it back up to a battery and turned it on-- it beeped like crazy-- and let the magic smoke out :( . Good thing I was in the garage.

Before I buy another one, what brand would people strongly recommend? I'd like a minimum 350W continuous/700W peak, and would most likely use it in a cigar lighter socket. Probably the heaviest duty I'd have it perform would be to run a <40W heating pad or maybe <150W electric blanket in the winter.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this problem has been going on a long time. My Father had several of them quit with a puff of smoke. His cousin was an electronic tech and replaced parts and made them work again.... time after time. I finally convinced Dad that he did not need an *electric* razor. By that time rechargeable razors were widely available. If I were to buy one today I'd buy it from a brick & mortar store with a known good customer service policy.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inherited my Dad's inverter, from the 80's. Still going strong. Made by Tripp Lite.

That I don't see Tripp Lite at WalMart may be a good sign :)

[My father's cousin] was an electronic tech and replaced parts and made them work again.... time after time. If I were to buy one today I'd buy it from a brick & mortar store with a known good customer service policy.

At least it was somewhat (advanced) user-serviceable.

The last purchase was made at WalMart, but the problem is that they'll get similar items as other places, but with different SKUs, and typically worse build quality...

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I haven't had any tripp-lite inverters, I will say that nothing else we've bought from them (cables, hard drive adapters, power adapters, UPS, surge protectors) has ever gone bad. And they obviously work with electronics, so I'd hope they can make a decent inverter.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
They make all the big 1000 to 10k watt commercial and RV units. Just avoid normal retail (where only price matters) and you should be fine.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to hard-wire a 1kW unit; maybe that'd be a good one for the Previa.

Maybe a 120V accessory alternator would be good to have, do they make such a thing?*

(*He asked before even Googling for such a thing...)

brighasday

Newly Enlightened
I've been told by a family member that if the inverter is plugged in (even with it off) while starting the vehicle it will kill it. I don't know if this is relevant to you or not but every little nugget of information helps!