What's the latest in magnetic variable ring type flashlights?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
magnetic control ring lights have difficulty maintaining brightness regulation due to the Earth's magnetic force lines.

I had a V11r modded to 3000k N219c and after that the light was unuseable, for me, because it would vary by more than 50% brightness, depending if I faced north or south

Nobody else confirmed my data in a V11r. Its hard to find someone with a light meter that owns a modded V11r.

So I was reluctant to change the LED on my RRT-01, as I feared a similarly large change in brightness fluctuation.

The one person I found to do the actual tests on their RRT-01 modded to 5000k N219c triple, did not see the large percentage variation I got in the V11r. They were reporting a change of less than 20%. Bear in mind that unless a change is more than 50%, it is not noticeable to the naked eye, although its plenty obvious on a light meter.

I decided to gamble

I took measurements of my stock RRT-01 and it varied by less than 10%, near the 100 lumen range, not a visible change, with its stock LED.
Had it modded to a single N219b 4500k 9080, and hurrah! the change in brightness was below 10% still!.

I just tested it again, here is a video

and a snapshot of the smallest and largest value, an increase of just 6.5% in this test, at this lumen level.
TLpbR4q.jpg

b3z182P.png

By contrast, my "fully regulated" and stock HDS Rotary only varies by 2% on maximum, and it does that just sitting still, it makes no difference which way it is oriented.

My Novatac Spa only varies by 3% on maximum, again even just sitting still, orientation has no effect. And btw this Novatac has the same N219b as the RRT-01.

the change ln the RRT-01, from different orientation is much larger at lower levels, it is 31% near 3 lumens, for example I see 2.9 to 3.8 depending how I position the light, but that is still not visible.

The N219b into RRT-01 operation was a success and I have fallen in love with the Magnetic Rotary UI.
My RRT-01 w 219b (low below 0.1, high of 380 lumens) has become my main EDC, displacing an
HDS Rotary w Cool White LED (low of 0.08, high of 200 lumens), and a
Novatac w N219b 4500k 9080 (low of 0.1, high of 270 lumens).

Now I would like to buy a Niteye Eye 10 TiC, please PM me if any of you have one available.

I want a strobe option that is lacking in my RRT-01

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Still have my little v11r from maybe 2013 or 14. Originally an XML u3 , now 219c 5000k thanks to gunga. Can not detect any fluctuation by eye, no matter how hard i look for it(so thats good enough for me). No meter though, but saying that, any fluctuation picked up would not bother me as long as it does not distract in use.

Great lights, mine pretty much always been 16340 fed, ext has been stored for AA/14500.
ZBEpQ8ml.jpg

UJlg02pl.jpg

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Sunwayman VR11n and have had no issues at all with it.

I also thought the HDS were not Magnetic Control Ring anyway although they obviously have a Rotary Control it is not not Magnetic?

Listening to Henry at some length on the phone on a few occasions he described it as a control pot networked to the control board in the head which selects the distinct output level steps that you are able to select through the programming.
So in a sense it is not really infinitely variable any more than the ramping Emisar interface is but the output just seems that way as the steps are so small.

Still have my little v11r from maybe 2013 or 14. Originally an XML u3 , now 219c 5000k thanks to gunga. Can not detect any fluctuation by eye, no matter how hard i look for it(so thats good enough for me). No meter though, but saying that, any fluctuation picked up would not bother me as long as it does not distract in use.

Great lights, mine pretty much always been 16340 fed, ext has been stored for AA/14500.
ZBEpQ8ml.jpg

UJlg02pl.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
The rotary is not magnetic as far as I know yes. There are several fingers/prongs inside iirc.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rotary is not magnetic as far as I know yes. There are several fingers/prongs inside iirc.

Yeah I meant to reply to Jon and quoted your post by mistake,Sorry.

Thanks too!

Also I have only used y V11 on AA which insures that I will not lose the extension!

ven

Flashaholic
:twothumbs

Yes , mine is in such a safe place I can't remember where it is:ohgeez: Sure it's in the metal case .....somewhere lol

earthman

Newly Enlightened

ZBEpQ8ml.jpg

UJlg02pl.jpg

I'd almost forgot that I have one of those myself, I never even thought about using a 14500 battery in it, although I've only recently got a couple of those batteries. Lol

I have a JB RRT and a couple of other twisty ring types, I do like them and have wondered why this design isn't popular now??

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think a magnetic control ring would fit into a AAA form factor
It kind of does, but it's ALOT of work. Just find the mbi torpedo thread on this forum and you'll see it's possible, but not easy. Got the the "pre production beta testing" mbi torpedo somewhere in my bedroom. It's big for a aaa light.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
fwiw, Jetbeam has released a new version of the RRT-01
top new, bottom previous
sS4vVii.png

yhAYJuy.png

please do not ask me to tell you where you can get one, and dont ask me how much it costs, that is against CPF rules.. use google instead. fwiw, the images are hosted on my own photo site, they are not hotlinked.

The new model seems to include a battery, and trit slots.

I EDC an RRT-01 modded to N219b. I really like the UI, deep carry clip, and smooth ramping.

Size reference, my RRT-01 next to my HDS Rotary:
78oBuMG.png

ps, the HDS is on its lowest mode, the RRT can go even lower than pictured

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like how the new RRT-01 is rated to nearly twice the output of the old one.

I'll probably get one, but the first thing I'll do is replace the battery with an Aspire 18350. I'll probably also replace the emitter with something different. I prefer neutral tints.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im using a Keepower 1200mAh IMR in my RRT-01

Clemence is planning to get an RRT-01 to explore modding options with his LEDs and optics.
If anyone wants to know who Clemence is, PM me so I dont have to break any CPF rules about posting links.

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like how the new RRT-01 is rated to nearly twice the output of the old one.

I'll probably get one, but the first thing I'll do is replace the battery with an Aspire 18350. I'll probably also replace the emitter with something different. I prefer neutral tints.
has anyone ever triple led conversion on these?

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Sweet! The dimensions look really different, it appears none of the older bodies (AA,18650,etc) will fit the new RRT01?
i have been using the unprotected Aspire/Vapcell 18350 cells and have been really happy with the performance of these cells. After any use, I charge them and test voltages. As a very simple rule of thumb I treat voltage readings as follows for li-on.

Resting voltages and capacity for li-ion cells:

4.2V – 100%
4.1V – 87%
4.0V – 75%
3.9V – 55%
3.8V – 30%
3.5V – 0%

It's far from comprehensive or scientific, not meant to be, but has served me well for years. I have 16340 cells that are quite old and well used, and still test within 20% of their rated capacity using this method. Not for everyone, but I enjoy testing capacity and internal resistance. YMMV.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone ever triple led conversion on these?

yes, PM me for a link

i have been using the unprotected Aspire/Vapcell 18350 cells and have been really happy with the performance of these cells. After any use, I charge them and test voltages.

I just started using an unprotected 1200mAh IMR, and am on my way to buy a protected one. PM me if anyone want links to the available cells.

I have correlated some voltages to lumen levels
a CR123 cell below 2.9v, cannot achieve 100 lumens maximum
a CR123 cell, below 3.1v cannot achieve 200 lumens maximum
and the IMR, above 3.9v, can achieve over 400 lumens maximum

visual data
1lgaFK7.png

note that for the IMR, I had to switch the scale on the light meter by 10x (yellow arrows), so the 43.7 corresponds to 437 lumens. In all cases, the rotary dial is at Maximum.

This is with an N219b 4500k 9080 LED mod in my RRT-01. My light meter is calibrated to my 200 lumen HDS.

Conclusion, when my RRT-01 w IMR battery drops to 25% of initial brightness, it is not yet overdischarged, and still safe to recharge.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years ago I did a triple conversion on my Jetbeam TCR-01 (Titanium version of original RRT-01)

It was quite easy actually. the head has a convenient ledge at just the right height for a triple star with Carclo optic. You can pretty much just swap a triple in with no added effort except maybe some longer driver wires.

Since the area under the star is empty, be generous with the thermal paste at the edges of the star.

If you really want to go all out, you could make a copper slug to fit in the void under the star. This isn't really necessary though so long as you use a copper star with lots of thermal paste.

Note: Just like with the RRT-01, it was very important to grip the head above the magnetic ring when unscrewing the bezel to avoid torquing the driver wires.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally missed this thread, thanks john_slider for the heads up :twothumbs
I ordered one of those new RRT-01 - love the variable ring lights.

Was toying with the idea of getting a Sunwayman V11Rvn from Vihn but at $100-$115 + post I didn't (and it can only take 16340 batteries) instead because it's smaller I got a foursevens mini MKII with SST40 with VNX2 driver in copper putting out more than 1000L that I might sell after I get the jetbeam, we'll see.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
GUFTCIw.jpg

qbEJsjR.png

contact me by PM if interested in a goodwill group buy of stock original rrt-01
(not for profit, just want to help more people have a chance to own a magnetic rotary)

that one is from a prior group buy, a run of triples

life is good!

Last edited: