What's the meaning of "Tactical LED Light"?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The true definition of a handheld tactical flashlight (as defined by Paul Kim of Surefire"

Because Paul Kim said this..does it make it correct? This is not a flame. Im just saying maybee others define it differently.

I never thought I would do this on a Fastcar post, but..

+1

zpaulg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, you're welcome! Yes, I agree.. it's ashame that many other manufacturers have skewed the original meaning of tactical, it's not what it use to be. They even call a book light a 'Tactical reading light' now, which IMO, is pretty silly. *sighs*

LMAO! :crackup:

I wouldn't mind if manufacturers called their lights 'defensive' because any light can be used defensively (swing it at someones head! :crackup:) But as long as they don't call it 'tactical' then it's all good. I agree that the word 'tactical' has been overused by manufacturers, and it frustrates me because the majority of the lights are NOT tactical. Sure, they could call their fridge light a 'tactical food light' but that's just being silly. :crackup:A true handheld tactical light is what we flashaholics have long considered to be used by S.W.AT teams, special agents, military personels, etc to engage in gun fights, rescue missions, in dark environments such as warehouse, underground areas, etc. They usually have one hand holding the gun and the other holding the light (as in the photos of 1st post) There are also weapon mounted tactical lights but that's another thing. :popcorn:

Yes, a tail mounted switch is a must for tactical lights, because you don't want to fumble around to locate the side switch in the dark. Some may have clips, but that is not compulsory because many are stored in a holster.:party:

I can safely say that some of the best times I've ever had involved fumbling about in the dark..........and I'm not alone!!!..........

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can safely say that some of the best times I've ever had involved fumbling about in the dark..........and I'm not alone!!!..........

Sure you were not alone....:crackup::party:
sssh.gif
rolleye11.gif

xiaowenzu

Banned
Sure, we also have helicopter mounted tactical lights, weapon mounted ones, and tank mounted tactical lights, but those are different kinds of tactical lights. But we flashoholics are more interested in the hand held tactical flashlights here. :popcorn:

Because Paul Kim said this..does it make it correct?
No, but his definition of a tactical flashlight is more valid than those manufacturers who unashamedly call their fridge light a 'tactical' light to battle hunger. :laughing:

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
xiaowenzu, I think your thread has some good points. I am not a LEO, but have had to point a gun at someone before, and having a good "tactical" light does make a difference.

I would say that the Pelican 7060 is a great Tactical light in my opinion.
:crackup:
Leave those sleeky Ninjas alone! :thumbsup: hehe, I agree, the Pelican 7060, is a trusty Tactical Light, with it's momentary forward protruding tail switch (a must for tactical lights), it's great for LEOs, and the likes. :twothumbs

The Pelican 7060, a Tactical light used by LEOs
20050221040322photogr1.jpg

Below: Not quite a tactical light :crackup:
01084.jpg

Nor is this: :crackup:
EV00158.jpg

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
with it's momentary protruding forward tail switch (a must for tactical lights)
According to who? I have already stated reasons when this will not be the case yet you continue to state it as fact. Because a manufacturer uses this as a sales pitch (and this is nothing against SF or Paul Kim) then it must be gospel?

I think the 7060 could probably be described as the ultimate "tactical" light since it can be used with whatever method you light. BTW i don't think that is a picture of the 7060

Marduke

Flashaholic
Funny, the switch on the 7060 doesn't protrude at all.... Actually, I think the L2T switch protrudes more.....

:poke:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I want a forward clicky: momentary with click on, click off. If you want a twist constant on with a lockout unscrew, I've got no problem with that, but it's not what I want. My L1Tv2 is all the tactical light I need. Then again, I don't have a subscription to Soldier of Fortune magazine, and Blackwater just reminds me of OIL.

dustybuttonwb0.jpg

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
One word here...marketing! Thank you for saying it like it has to be sayed.
I agree. My momma, has always told me never trust anyone who's after your wallet, and more times than once she was right. :)

KeeperSD said:
I have already stated reasons when this will not be the case yet you continue to state it as fact.
Well then, I guess at times, I do call my fridge light a tactical-hunger-busting-light! Although my SWAT friends would probably laugh their heads off at me, for being so silly before pulling out their Surefire L5:nana:

KeeperSD said:
because a manufacturer uses this as a sales pitch (and this is nothing against SF or Paul Kim) then it must be gospel?

I'm glad we agree with the basic premise of this thread here... we flashoholics are simply sick, frustrated and fed up with countless manufacturers who use the word 'tactical' as a sales pitch for the lights, when obviously there's nothing tactical about it. And as a flashoholic, it has always been my best interest to separate the real deals, from the myths. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. :thumbsup:

Marduke said:
Funny, the switch on the 7060 doesn't protrude at all....

It does protrude, although not as far as the Surefire L5, for example. It has a tail mounted, momentary forward switch, suitable for tactical operations... :party:
police-flashlight-1b.jpg

xiaowenzu

Banned
@ Xiaowenzu
Well Lobo, no offense, but I don't want to go into another Surefire vs 'X-brand' debate here - there are far too many on this forum already... just because Surefire makes some of the best light, it doesn't help manufacturers when they are always compared against them. It's like saying 'Oh Surefireis the standard, and we must all measure against the standard'.:)

However to answer your question, I shall quote another member's previous post, who's has a more eloquent description than I:

elgarak said:
"Momentary: You fail to realize that constant on is NEVER employed in tactical situations. You give away your position when the light is on. Clickies are not recommended because you can accidentally switch to constant on. It's difficult to restrain yourself from pressing too hard when under duress. The moments you need to realize your error and to switch off the light might cost you your life."

I guess we should all take manufacturers claim of the word 'tactical' with a grain of salt. That being said, I confidently believe the Fenix L1T/L2T would allow a good 'tactical' raid on the fridge at night, despite being unsuitable for SWAT, FBI, Military operations. :whistle:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Lobo, no offense, but I don't want to go into another Surefire vs 'X-brand' debate here - there are far too many on this forum already... just because Surefire makes some of the best light, it doesn't help manufacturers when they are always compared against them. It's like saying 'Oh Surefireis the standard, and we must all measure against the standard'.:)

However to answer your question, I shall quote another member's previous post, who's has a more eloquent description than I:

I guess we should all take manufacturers claim of the word 'tactical' with a grain of salt. That being said, I confidently believe the Fenix L1T/L2T would allow a good 'tactical' raid on the fridge at night, despite being unsuitable for SWAT, FBI, Military operations. :whistle:

Well, it's pretty much YOU who have made this a Surefire vs X-brand thread from the beginning...

As said 100 times before, tactical is defined by how you use your light, not the brand. Ask any real "operator" (my, how I love all those buzzwords).
And nobody has said that all the other manufacturers are comparing against Surfire.

I will continue bearing with your definition of "tactical" just for arguments sake. By your statement about constant on, you have dismissed about half of Surefire's line of lights from being "tactical". Do you really think that your own Surefire U2 doesn't have more "tactical" uses than nightly fridge raids.... :whistle:
Hell, my old Ledfinity is more "tactical" than your U2 by that definition.

I really don't know why I bother with you, since you're clearly a way over the top brand loyalist.
And you might also ask yourself why this topic upsets you so much...

And I think I'm gonna tell my 2 LEO-friends that there is a guy on an internetforum about flashlights who says that the ASP-batonlights they are issued from the Swedish Police aren't tactical enough for them. Bet at least they'll get a laugh from it.

Last edited:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about the 100 odd lumens coming out the front of the light, i think that might also be a little more of a give away than a slight click from the switch

You know, I was just wondering about that. What the heck difference does it make if there is a little click, when a microsecond later there is this huge flood of light? The thing could explode for all the difference the noise makes!

Marduke

Flashaholic
You know, I was just wondering about that. What the heck difference does it make if there is a little click, when a microsecond later there is this huge flood of light? The thing could explode for all the difference the noise makes!

+ 1x10^9

Exactly! Unless you're after blind badguys, which is more noticeable? A pin drop of a click, or a sudden retina scorching light?

But I still say just moving around will give you away long before a clicking sound if you're trying to be stealthy. I don't care how careful you are, guys in full "tactical" gear aren't whisper quiet.

Also, the MagLite has been the go-to tactical light for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of law enforcement officers around the world for 20 years, and suddenly it's not "tactical" anymore?

clipse

Enlightened
This is a pretty long thread for only two pages. I didn't read through the whole thing but I did want to put my two cents in.

Tactical is NOT they way you say it is. Tactical has alot to do with TACT. Me carrying a Surefire L7 on belt in a business casual environment is not very tactful.....hence no very tactical. For the same reason my CCW is not a H&K Mark23 or what ever that Tacticool gun is. I carry a S&W 642 because its is easily hidden....or in other words is tactful......hence it is tactical.

Tactical situations are situations where tact is needed, not just situations that FBI, SWAT, or LEO's will get into.

Just FYI Here is the actual definition of 'tactical'

tac·ti·cal /ˈtæk
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
kəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[tak-ti-kuh
thinsp.png
l] –adjective 1.of or pertaining to tactics, esp. military or naval tactics. 2.characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements. 3.of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage. 4.expedient; calculated. 5.prudent; politic.

xiaowenzu

Banned
Well, it's pretty much YOU who have made this a Surefire vs X-brand thread from the beginning...

As said 100 times before, tactical is defined by how you use your light, not the brand. Ask any real "operator" (my, how I love all those buzzwords).
And nobody has said that all the other manufacturers are comparing against Surfire.

I will continue bearing with your definition of "tactical" just for arguments sake. By your statement about constant on, you have dismissed about half of Surefire's line of lights from being "tactical". Do you really think that your own Surefire U2 doesn't have more "tactical" uses than nightly fridge raids.... :whistle:
Hell, my old Ledfinity is more "tactical" than your U2 by that definition.

I really don't know why I bother with you, since you're clearly a way over the top brand loyalist.
And you might also ask yourself why this topic upsets you so much...

And I think I'm gonna tell my 2 LEO-friends that there is a guy on an internetforum about flashlights who says that the ASP-batonlights they are issued from the Swedish Police aren't tactical enough for them. Bet at least they'll get a laugh from it.

No, I never made this a Surefire vs X-brand thread, since I was merely using a examples to illustrate points of the topic. I obviously wasn't comparing brand vs brand.;)

Well, 'dictionarily' speaking, I suppose the word 'tactical' means something which 'employs tactics' but that definition doesn't satisfy us Flashoholics especially when we're dealing with a niche topic such as flashlights. Dictionary meanings are quite broad. :grin2:

Anyways, for instance, I could swing my 6V Lantern 'tactically', knocking out the burglar's knife.... but I would NOT call that flashlight a 'Tactical' light, just as I would NOT call my computer mouse a 'weapon', even though I've been known to deliberately place it on the floor to have someone slip on it! :crackup:So even though you can call the computer mouse a 'weapon' it really isn't - machine guns, grenades, and rocket launchers ARE weapons.
Same goes with flashlights - majority of which are NOT Tactical lights - it's just a silly buzzword for sneaky manufacturers to dupe us. :crackup:Buzzwords - "Tactical fridge light", "tactical nail clipping light", "tactical nose picking light" bwahahaha:crackup:

However, Lobo, I do agree with you that NOT all Surefires are tactical lights - the U2 is a great light, but my SWAT friends would never use it. :popcorn:

MikeLip said:

Probably something to do with the fact that light itself is soundless, but a click is not soundless. :whistle:

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I still say just moving around will give you away long before a clicking sound if you're trying to be stealthy. I don't care how careful you are, guys in full "tactical" gear aren't whisper quiet.

Ninjas on the other hand, especially mall ninjas, are all quietlike...

Also, the MagLite has been the go-to tactical light for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of law enforcement officers around the world for 20 years, and suddenly it's not "tactical" anymore?

Exactly!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably something to do with the fact that light itself is soundless, but a click is not soundless. :whistle:

Again, so what? Both sound and light give position away. Both come from the same place. Unless your opponent is shooting at you while wearing a blindfold, it won't matter.

Latest posts