What's Up With This Fad Of Assault Crowns On Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hivoltage

Enlightened
What about a set of car keys in your pocket? They can be used to ram in an attackers eye but that does not make them an illegal weapon.

I am real tired of the bad guys having rights and the good guys losing the rights to defend themselves.

Wattnot

Enlightened
In untrained hands, even a GUN isn't a guarantee of safety, let alone a flashlight. It could even interfere with a natural instict because of some increased level of confidence.

When a light could MAYBE come in handy is BEFORE the actual s@#$ hits the actual fan . . . . like someone quickly crossing the street right at you, etc. Even if you're not shining it in someone's face, a light is a distraction and most thieve's worst enemy . . . an attention getter.

Anyway, I'm glad to finally see someone attacking strike bezels for once. Usually it's the poor strobe and/or sos. I'm not against any of it . . . why would I be? I'm just saying . . . :laughing:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a set of car keys in your pocket? They can be used to ram in an attackers eye but that does not make them an illegal weapon.

Technically, if you carry them for that purpose, they are an illegal weapon. I think you're pretty safe with car keys though. :)

bodhran

Enlightened
I'm new to CPF so there's a lot I still don't understand about flashlights. Thanks to a lot of great people here I am learning and getting a few great flashlights in the process. It just so happens that the flashlights I have gotten have strike bezels. I know what they can be used for but it has never been a consideration in my purchase. If I am attacked and the only thing I have is my flashlight, I'm going to hit them with it. Doesn't make a difference to me if it's my m20 or a plastic flashlight I found at the local store.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Use your light as a fist pack, it will add weight for extra oomph in your hits and will make your fist "harder" trust me ive tried it and it works well, I also work out though so just the flashlight isnt gonna do much with out alot of force behind it

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if people carried these thinking they were legal self-defense weapons.

There is not such thing as a "legal self-defense weapon"
I was cautioned by the Police for carrying a plastic kubotan :(
With a "UK mind-set" if you can carry a Light with an "assault crown"
you might as well carry something more effective instead.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for lights with or without assault crowns, if someone jumps out at me in a nasty way and I'm carrying a light, then I'll use it to my advantage to disable them. Unless you've got some pretty beasty spikes on there ALA porcupine making it an obviously offensive weapon, a couple of bits of metal that stick out more than others aren't going to make much difference in the great scheme of things.

And if someone jumps out on me and I'm not carrying a light, I'll disable them. DONT rely on your light (or, in fact, gun) to protect you, because if you do, and you can't access it, you're screwed. Get training for the one weapon you'll always have ready and can always be deployed at a moments notice; yourself

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a light with an assault crown on it, but I do like the appearance of them to a certain degree.

I prefer the slight crenelations on the head of my Romisen RC-N3 to the nasty looking crown on the Solarforce/Spiderfire/Ultrafire L2 lights.

I can see if I accidentally left the light on without having to tip it.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use your light as a fist pack, it will add weight for extra oomph in your hits and will make your fist "harder" trust me ive tried it and it works well, I also work out though so just the flashlight isnt gonna do much with out alot of force behind it

Oooh. Who did you beat up? The neighbor's kid? I don't want to meet this flashlight fist packing fury in some dark alley.

Gotta love these macho types :shakehead

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
Modern day poor excuse for brass knuckles.

But seriously, something is wrong with our society in general (and I am not singling out any one country) when people want/need to resort to unofficial self-defence devices because everything else is illegal and they have nothing to defend themselves with in case of a situation (yes, most other developed countries have serious restrictions on firearms et all unlike the US). Criminals have too much protection these days - seems like anything you physically to them to protect yourself (be it in your own home or on the street) can get you charged or sued.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Honestly Im not macho or anything like that, and lets keep this discussion above a 6th grade level....quit with the name calling. I know how to use what I have to my advantage. Your from a rural area right (ohio) so you should know what a summer of hay labor will do to keep you stronger than any punk youll find in suburbia or large city

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pretty much agree with what's being said here... I have to say that I now find myself really wanting a "Tactical Chicken McNugget Dispenser"! :crackup:

But the one other thing that I think may have been glossed over is that part of what folks seem to like (present company included) is the idea that this is the same piece of equipment used by the Army/Cops/Ninjas/Chuck Norris.

This is not precisely thinking that we are the Army/Cops/Ninjas/Chuck Norris, but rather that we are using a super-high-quality piece of equipment that can be used in battle. I mean it's like Army surplus: if it's good enough for wartime, it's probably fine for my garage. So I think that "tactical" lights have this mystique that they are tougher and more suited to intense use. :cool:

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
Has someone here ever used a flashlight in a self-defence or life-threatening situation ? (Like in some of the surefire true (?) stories)

If I think a little about how a flashlight could come in handy as a defence tool, only a desperate situation which I expected I could fall into before it happened comes to mind. I mean, if my primary option of running away is just impossible or useless, or someone important to me is involved, i could try to use my L2D as a fist-pack like someone said.

Second option would be to afraid a wannabee gangster with so much light, but a determined trouble maker is not likely to be stopped in any way.

For a civilian living in the French contryside, the situation were I'm feeling quite exposed and helpless is when I go biking at night, where cars and boars are common encounters, and a gun is really useless (and not allowed) I think.

also, 2nd post on cpf

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
$$ and the marketing departments taking advantage of buyers swayed by "defense" possibilities. That whole SHTF scenario. I'm not disputing it cannot be effective, largely it will be cosmetic so in practical terms...it adds nothing but aesthetics to the light for the majority of users.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL They're great for combing through hair on occasions :hairpull:
but trust me on this,as soon as someone jumps at you!your first reaction "carrying a light" will be hit the switch,
I say that because your mind will be conditioned from all that light on light off action you have been accustomed from doing:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts