What's Up With This Fad Of Assault Crowns On Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexLite

Enlightened
As has been said,the term "Assault Crown" is the result of seemingly poor translation or understanding.The better term for the majority of purchasers(outside of LEO,Military) would be "defense bezel".

I don't think its anyones intention to "assault" someone,"defend" themselves yes.To imply that people buy these to inflict malicious,unsolicited injury is totally absurd.

Seriously though, I use my flashlight just as a light too. For self defense? That's where a gun (or knife) comes in. If I'm down to a flashlight in an encounter, something has gone terribly terribly wrong.

Like, for example, you've recently moved to the UK where we're not allowed to carry so much as a toothpick for self-defence.

Both of these are valid points,coming from two different environments,not simply different viewpoints.

I'm sure most people wouldn't like to rely primarily on a flashlight for self defense,but the kind of "police everything" except apparently criminals is the exact type of attitude and thinking that shifts the seemingly lack of need in the first quoted post to the perceived need of any type of help/advantage if attacked or assaulted in the second quote.

I think women are one demographic who could actually benefit from such a flashlight such as the E2DL,it surely would be more useful than keys when attempting to fend off an attacker.

FWIW,I don't carry any type of weapon,unless you count the mostly useless 1 inch blade in my multitool.But I respect the right of others to do so responsibly.

-Michael

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has someone here ever used a flashlight in a self-defence or life-threatening situation ? (Like in some of the surefire true (?) stories)

The only time I used a flashlight aggressively is when a friend and I were at a rest area on an interstate. A little girl was attacked by a pitbull 100' away from us. The dog just latched on to the kids leg. It would not let go. It was like a bench vise. I hit the dog several times with a 4D Mag. It just kept hanging on like nothing was the matter. A police officer showed up just in time to shoot the dog. The kid was cut up but was going to be ok. As a dog person, I felt bad for the animal, Apparently a couple of gang bangers raised the dog to be mean and viscious. In any event, I would not rely on a "assault crown" to save my neck. YMMV

insanefred

Enlightened
Funny, I was wondering if "tactical" in flashlights are starting to become overused last night.
The strike bezels are indeed becoming a fad for sure. In other words, "Trendy". Eeeww...
People are saying they need them, you know just in case, I say they're getting paranoid. (smoking to much dope?).
If you do live in a bad area and you need something for defense, they're many better alternatives than a flash light.
It won't take long for a flashlight to be classified as potential weapon because some kid decides to use it against some bullies at school.
Personally I would NEVER carry a flashlight for self defense.

brightarc

Newly Enlightened
I like those "assault crowns" because it is nice to know that I just didn't accidentally leave that light on.

I tend to go after the ones that are made out of stainless steel as I can dull them down without having to worry about damaging any anodizing and thus ruining the looks of the light.

Other than aesthetics and the added functionality mantioned above, assault crowns are pretty useless.
For self defence a can of OC would do just fine, atleast it works a treat on most agressive dogs.

Being a dog owner I would rather have my dog sprayed than having it beaten to death with an assault bezel, not that it is agressive.

bigdaddy

Newly Enlightened
Maybe we can ask the manufacturers instead. Hey "what's that assault crown for?" :whoopin:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly Im not macho or anything like that, and lets keep this discussion above a 6th grade level....quit with the name calling. I know how to use what I have to my advantage. Your from a rural area right (ohio) so you should know what a summer of hay labor will do to keep you stronger than any punk youll find in suburbia or large city

Okay, Sorry. When someone comes in here claiming to have beat someone with a fist packed flashlight, it makes me wonder if it is just some tall tale.

Would you care to elaborate on that situation?

I do not work on a farm, but I do exercise, mainly to keep fit - so I can run like hell from any punk. They are likely to be brandishing at least a knife. I don't feel paranoid enough to be lugging around weaponry but I don't live in a bad area.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately I've noticed more and more assault crowns on lower end lights, to the point where one has to search out ones without. I've got no fantasies about whacking people with my flashlight, I just want to light my way.

So, I ask, what's up with the rash of flashlights as weapons?

Thanks.

Z.

Ugly isn't it? I hate it too and often, I have NOT bought one because of them.

Wattnot

Enlightened
For self defence a can of OC would do just fine, atleast it works a treat on most agressive dogs.

Being a dog owner I would rather have my dog sprayed than having it beaten to death with an assault bezel, not that it is agressive.

Keep in mind that OC spray designed for HUMANS can be lethal on dogs. Make sure if you use this type of OC spray on a dog, you are justified in killing it. They make defense spray for use against dogs . . . most mail carriers use it. It's specifically made for use on dogs and is not lethal to them. Of course THAT spray probably won't help if used on a human!

And when did the name change to "assault crown?" What happened to "crelenated bezel" or "defender" etc.?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, ok.

Well, from EXPERIENCE, I can assure you that this doesn't help on a dog in kill mode so that's useless. Might work when they decide to give the mailman a love bite but not if their adrenaline is pumping...I KNOW!

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think it would be so easy to beat a dog with an assault crown. It better be the porcupine type. I know if that pitbull had been after me, an assault crown probably would have just gotten him PO further.

TexLite

Enlightened
Gotta love these macho types :shakehead

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
-Sir Winston Churchill

People are saying they need them, you know just in case, I say they're getting paranoid. (smoking to much dope?).

I would say the paranoid people are the ones questioning the usefulness of anothers choice of bezel on a flashlight.

I don't know I've heard of "flashlight assaults" being a problem in modern society.Robbery,rape,assault,etc. are however very real problems,not dilusions.

Paranoia=(2) a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others.

Maybe we can ask the manufacturers instead. Hey "what's that assault crown for?" :whoopin:

There are various reasons posted throughout this thread.

-Michael

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it would be so easy to beat a dog with an assault crown. It better be the porcupine type. I know if that pitbull had been after me, an assault crown probably would have just gotten him PO further.

If it's anything like the dog I'm talking about, he wouldn't even have known you were there beating him and NO, I am NOT joking.

:(

naked2

Enlightened
Originally Posted by bigdaddy
There are various reasons posted throughout this thread
And ALL of them good ones, for those who choose them. God I'm glad I live in the good ol' US of A!
:candle: (This smilie is the CPFers version of The Statue of Liberty!)

Last edited:

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Flashlights, guns, knives, kubotan, brass knuckles, OC, etc... You know what's common among these things? These are all tools with different applications. But any of these won't magically save you from anything. If you carry any of these tools for whatever purpose, make sure you know how to use them for that purpose. Carrying a flashlight as self defense is fine, as long as you know how to use it for such purpose. On the other hand, carrying a gun doesn't mean you will win in a fight over someone carrying another tool, if you don't know how to use your gun. Remember that when SHTF, one will revert to ones lowest level of training. So although having the right tool is great, training and having the right mindset is an integral part of self defense. Pardon me if I'm preaching to the choir here.

Paranoid? Well I'm guess I'm proud to be one. At least I know I won't be an easy victim... or as others have put it in other forum/s, I'm not a "sheeple".

ja10

Enlightened
To play devil's advocate, here are a few uses:

- Ice pick for ice fisherman or people who walk on frozen lakes in the winter.
- Punch for breaking auto glass
- Additional protection for the glass/optic
- Crenelated tail caps allow for tail standing while still making it easy to activate the switch (unlike simple recessed switches)
- Heads-down illumination when tail standing is too bright

I just picked up an E2DL, and the crenelated bezel was part of the decision. I don't have any fantasies about hitting anyone or anything with it, but it doesn't mean there aren't other uses.

curtis22

Enlightened
If the question is about flashlights in general as opposed to LED lights, there is a general flashlight forum.

brucec

Enlightened
In my view, an "assault crown" is just that, an improvised weapon. Just about anything can be an used (and probably has been used) as an improvised weapon. Keys, spare change, flashlight, mobile phone, camera, belt, backpack, laptop computer, etc. Now, do I want sharp pointy spikes on my laptop computer to enhance its tactical capabilities in the off-chance of a confrontation in business class? Hell no, but I can't argue the fact that a laptop with spikes would probably make a better, or at least scarier, weapon than one sans spikes. For me, I don't like sharp pointy spikes on anything that I normally carry, including flashlights. But who am I to question other free-thinking individuals in their EDC spike choices? My watch is waterproof to 300m, my iPod can store 83 continuous days of music, I can charge a car to my Mastercard, I have an indestructible Ti flashlight that outputs 100lumens, etc. Do I really need or use any of these items anywhere close to their capabilities? No. We go through our lives carrying all kinds of nonsense, but we do it because we like it and it is our lifestyle choice. If someone happens to prefer an assault crown on their flashlight, that's fine by me. Live and let live.

Status
Not open for further replies.