What's your favorite cordless drill?

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I have the 18v Ryobi drill and it has served well for several years. I like it as I have the Ryobi 18v circular saw and the Homelite 18v string trimmer and hedge trimmer that all use the same battery.

cdf

Enlightened
In 14.4 , Millwaukee , tuff , easy acess to parts abd spare batts . The pistol grip config is better for drilling , the T handle is a better driver . De Walts blow , one of the highest rates of return in the industry , spares are problematical . Hitachi and Panasonic are also good tools . Panasonic has about the highest battery quality in the industry . In 18's I like Hilti. The new Milwaukee 28 V-Li is pretty wild . I'll hold off for a year to see how they pan out in the field .

Chris

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Dewalt, me too, I have a DC988KA hammer drill and love it too. I really like the chuck it has.

However I do have my eyes on the latest Makita 18v hammer dill!
560 in/lbs (Dewalt is 500 in/lbs), Li-Ion batteries, LED lighting, same type of Jacobs chuck as the Dewalt, etc.
Played with one at Home Depot the other day, very very nice!

BHP451_400.jpg

The whole LXT line is nice!

Makarov

Enlightened
I got a Dewalt 18V kit for my 30th birthday last year, and I love it.
The hammer drill is a bit heavy though, so I've been thinking about getting a smaller (14.4V) for general usage. Right now I use an old 12V B&D.

A couple a years ago I got to try a Panasonic, after seeing a guy at my gunclub screw together two large 12X3" beams with this dinky little drill, and I was really impressed with the torque. It's on my wishlist :)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milwaukee V28 Lithium-Ion hammer drill,
Been using it for a few weeks and that 28V 3.0Ah lithium-ion pack makes for a relatively light drill (about the same as Dewalt 18V NiCad) it has 4 LEDs to let you know the charge level of the battery pack and recharges in well under an hour.
These batteries must be very special as they pound out the amps and just keep pushing. Heck, they should though... $129 per battery so it will be painful when I need to replace the two that came with it! Love the monster, it has amazing power and is easy to handle.
Dewalt is supposed to come out with a 36V 2.0AH A123 systems lithium-Ion drill in 2006. Considering the Milwaukee has more watt-hours to it's battery than the Dewalt... I'll stick with the V28.
Milwaukee also has a battery operated lug nut power drill (no kidding) it takes two of the V28 battery packs and can pull the lug nuts off a tractor trailer rig. Think of the stuff I can destroy with that puppy!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Panasonic, Hilti, and Metabo are the best of the best, but they're not too common and they're a little expensive. After that, there are a lot of good companies. I might put Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, Makita, and DeWalt all on the next level. I've heard Hitachi is going downhill, and I'm not sold on Ridgid stuff yet. After that come the junk brands like B&D, Ryobi, Skil, etc.

I'm a little worried about Milwaukee and Porter-Cable these days. Milwaukee was bought by Ryobi's Taiwanese parent (who also makes Ridgid) and Porter-Cable/Delta was bought by B&D (who also owns DeWalt). I'm hoping the quality keeps up. Especially Milwaukee.

One thing to consider about cordless drills is how useful one is, not just how powerful. Pick up a 24V+ drill and you'll know what I mean. For me, at least, 18V is the max I want to carry around. I'd only get heavier one if you needed it for a special application.

My personal preference is 18V DeWalt, mainly because parts and accessories are everywhere and cheap. The power is more than enough for most tasks, and when it isn't out comes the corded drill:

drill.jpg

(The DeWalt in the photo is the largest 18V hammer-drill they make. The other one really is that huge--12amp, 3/4" chuck)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting that no one mentioned Bosch Power Tools especially the new BlueCore Battery Operated ones that charges in 30 minutes.

What sold me on the Bosch and Milwaukee was when I saw them being dropped from off of first floor building (the roof and lanai) and 3rd tier scaffolds, not intentionally though, and after being retrieved with irritation on the part of the user, it's still running!

mckevin

Enlightened
I was looking hard at the Milwaukee V28 Li-Ion until Consumer Reports had the following to say (12/05):
The $400 V28 0724-24 hammer drill we tested (right) has a lithium-ion battery that weighs no more than most 18-volt nicads and belts out more power--so much, in fact, that several minutes turning 3 1/2-inch heavy lag screws melted the solder inside two test samples and led to motor failure on a third sample.

Sounds like they might not have the bugs worked out yet...

BentHeadTX said:
Milwaukee V28 Lithium-Ion hammer drill,
Been using it for a few weeks and that 28V 3.0Ah lithium-ion pack makes for a relatively light drill (about the same as Dewalt 18V NiCad) it has 4 LEDs to let you know the charge level of the battery pack and recharges in well under an hour.
These batteries must be very special as they pound out the amps and just keep pushing. Heck, they should though... $129 per battery so it will be painful when I need to replace the two that came with it! Love the monster, it has amazing power and is easy to handle.

onthebeam

Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
Panasonic, Hilti, and Metabo are the best of the best, but they're not too common and they're a little expensive. After that, there are a lot of good companies. I might put Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, Makita, and DeWalt all on the next level. I've heard Hitachi is going downhill, and I'm not sold on Ridgid stuff yet. After that come the junk brands like B&D, Ryobi, Skil, etc.

Agreed that the Ryobi drills are not for long term contractor use, but they perform well and are an excellent value. This has been borne out in several woodworking magazine reviews, Consumer Reports and others. For the non-pro, they are fine drills and I haven't had a bit of trouble with either of mine. So, "junk brand" they are not. Agreed that the B&D (same company as Dewalt, by the way), and Skil do not generally fare well in independent reviews and often have slow three hour chargers. You also make a good point about the most powerful drill not always being the most comfortable to use in the long run. Ryobi drills are a pretty good product with great weight characteristics and ok, but not superlative ergonomics.

Last edited:

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
as a contractor. DeWalt has fallen on hard times, bad BAD battery life, and at 55 to 89 dollars a battery pac, not cheap to replace 30 battery pacs.

Milwaukee has retrieved some market share, I however prefer the Makita black battery series. The Hitachi's are pretty good too, if you buy the contractor grades and not the homeowner specials. I have currently 18 makita's on the book, 4 metabo's and 12 hitachi's. most are 12 volt models which the guys prefer for most jobs because they are lighter and strong enough to strip any screw. I have a closet full of Dewalts that I no longer use because Dewalt would not warrantee the battery pacs that started to die only 8 mos after purchase, I found out later Menards dropped Dewalt for the same reason, refusing to accept RTV's for credit.

Seven corners Hardware for years has been one of the largest retailers of power tools in the country and they recommend and sell a lot of panasonic, makita, bosch and hitachi. I do not like panasonic and bosch only for feel in my hands, although I have two guys who are new who both want them so i am looking at setting up their truck all bosch.

Makarov

Enlightened
Guntotin, I guess you can find somone on this forum that can help you or point you to someone that can help you change the batteries in the Dewalt batterypacks.
I believe you could get high capacity batterypacks for cheap that way.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just looked up Metabo and they sure are impressive! Seems like they really know what power tools should be and for it's users.

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
I'll chime in here,too. As a pipefitter, I only use Milwaukee stuff-at home I have a 14.4 drill that replaced a 10-year old 12V Milwaukee. We have some specialized Hilti tools at work that are tough and durable. Being a pipefitter, all my wrenches and plumbing tools are Rigid brand, but their power tools like drills all seem to be made in China. I'll stick with Milwaukee.

cdf

Enlightened
The ridgid brand is not made by ridgid themselves , it's a liscencing deal that allows the Home Depot to use their name . They are a higher end offshore POS . DeWalt batteries are not consistent , until very recently they didn't spec. amp hours . I guess they buy whatever's on special that week . I've noticed that DeWalt owners start out satisfied , satisfaction drops off rapidly . A buddy of mine in the plastics industry advises me that the plastic in the casings is C@#p !

In recent years Bosch has been all over the map . ( probabably due to being owned by Skil - POS vendors {with the narrow exception of their worm drive saw }.

Hopefully Milwaukee quality will stay high , their stuff is pretty rugged . If you have good local dealer support , Panasonic and Hitachi are worth a look . The problem with Makita is that the have various levels of quality present in their various lines . You have to be up to date to know who's who . Panasonic is reputed to have the best battery quality of the lot .

Chris

cy

Flashaholic
ABTOMAT said:
(The DeWalt in the photo is the largest 18V hammer-drill they make. The other one really is that huge--12amp, 3/4" chuck)
Dewalt makes a 24V hammer drill. but like you stated, it's too large for most aplications.

my fav is 18V dewalt, best overall size to power ratio and just about largest size I can tolarate for general duties.

like the 12V dewalt better for size, but batt puked out too soon.

Latest posts