What's your favorite cordless drill?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish you had a 12V choice. ;) That said, my 12V Panasonics are compact and easy handlers with adequate torque for most my applications. I have smallish hands so the Panasonics are perfect for me.

While doing a cabinet and closet install, a buddy grabbed my Panasonic because it was set-up for the one task. He was amazed how well it performed. The size allowed him to work within the compact cabinet where his 14.4 or 12V PC wouldn't fit.

wylde21

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for Panasonic. I had used to use Makita and BD, which were decent tools for homeowner type work, until I was between jobs last year and took some side work doing home remodeling. All the other workers on the jobs I worker that used a cordless drill all day long - carpenters, electricians, HVAC etc - used Panasonic drills. The liked the quality and relative weight/power ratios. I saw that the furnace installers used Milwaukee (drills and saws), and the cable guy used DeWalt. I purchased a "remanufactured" Panasonic from Amazon, and could not be happier with the quality, weight, power, and battery life compared to my Makita drills, or to the other comparable units (PC/DeWalt/Ridgid/BD/ Milwaukee) I tried out at Lowes and Home Depot before I made my purchase. One point, I would get the NiMh over NiCad battery models.

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
Best drills in the world ?

Hilti.

I can't afford them, so I buy Metabo (next best)

For top quality precision power tools, checkout festool.com too

The others brands aren't in the same league but at 24v the bosch GBH24 VRE from their industrial range (the blue ones, not the green DIY range) is a pretty good tool.

RIDGID don't exist in the UK but I checking out there range it's interesting to note that part of their range - corded drills, grinders, jigsaws, and sanders - are using body mouldings and castings that are IDENTICAL to models from the metabo range.

Cheers

Last edited:

hayhauler

Newly Enlightened
In DeWalt you will find two qualities. A DeWalt drill that has a completely yellow body is a piece of junk. A DeWalt Drill that has the black insets in the hand grip is hard to beat.

CLHC

Flashaholic
After posting in this thread almost six (6) years ago, my favorite is still somewhere in this bag:

MilwaukeeM18Kit.jpg

Since buying my first home last year and getting a quote to install blinds of some $3000.00USD on five (5) windows, I opted to do it myself for roundabouts $800.00USD. All the while using my Milwaukee M18 Cordless Drill!

OCD

Enlightened
I had a 12v Dewalt that my dad gave me. It was used pretty hard but still did the job. A few years ago, I picked up a new, display model 12v Dewalt from Sears for $60. They said it didn't have the case or charger, just the drill and one battery. I went to check out and they bring the case and charger out from behind the counter. SWEET! I don't use it very hard, but both drills have been very good. My only complaint was the 3/8" chuck. My dad was getting rid of his 18v dewalt after replacing it with a 14.4 dewalt. I took the 1/2" chuck of the 18v and it fit my 12v. Now I'm in business.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
My Craftsman 19.2v C3 drill, air pump, impact driver and soon impact wrench are my favorite cordless tools.

the C3 batteries have lasted me a long time and a lot of use.

Umbria

Newly Enlightened
I have the Milwaukee. It is a good drill but the batteries that came with it weren't performing well so the store replaced then for me. I have had an18 volt Dewalt for ten years and it still works well. My favorite however is the Festool although the Hilti is probably better at heavy masonry work.

tbenedict

Enlightened
My advice is to stay say from nimh. Do with Li or ni-cad.

I gave away my Makita 14.4 because the batteries lost their ability to hold a charge (even a replacement) way too quick. Like the brand, but the batteries were not Eneloops...

Haven't had a problem with my Dewalt 12v ni-cad in the last few years.

Wrend

Enlightened
I only use it as a drill some of the time, but my favorite would have to be my Dremel Stylus. It's very handy to have around. I think it's a 2 cell Li-ion though...

Last edited:

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
In DeWalt you will find two qualities. A DeWalt drill that has a completely yellow body is a piece of junk.
I would disagree, I have an older (98 or 99) all yellow 18 volt. This drill was used daily in commercial construction (I'm a sheetmetal worker) for many years. It has fallen off the top of 12 foot ladders, kicked off of scissor lifts, been soaking wet in the rain and snow. It has never failed me.

LMTRocks

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Dewalt 997 18v Jacobs 1/2" carbide chuck drills for 11 years now.

Just replaced the chuck on one of them and both have been run hard but still run remarkably well. Neither have the side-handle though.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be ok with DeWalt.
I trust Bosch and love the tools of theirs that I have, a tablesaw, jigsaw, planer and circular saw.
My cordless drill is an old 18volt Ryobi that should be replaced but refuses to die, I don't really recommend it but it has survived well, the batteries hold a decent charge for work but won't hold a charge overnight.

I'd love to get an 18volt Bosch.

coreyjourney

Newly Enlightened
I was searching for the best value for money this drill. Then I have bought a Makita xfd03z 18v Lithium-Ion cordless drill. I am using it for 2 years. I have used several drills before it, but this one seems to be very special to me. Can be called my favourite one.

Last edited by a moderator:

scout24

Flashaholic
I approved your post but removed the link you provided. You bumped an 8 year old thread with your first post here, and we get tons of spam/ advertising. Thanks for your understanding.

Latest posts