When will we see a P60 style headlight?

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
More like, if I wasn't spending the first several weeks teaching myself how to do everything in Solidworks, I'd already be done!

Truthfully, I've finished one handheld/rail-mounted light design and already gone over it with my machinist. Prototypes should be finished soon.

As it's rail-mountable (picatinny rail), anything you can bolt a 2 slot picatinny rail to, you can mount this light on; be it a helmet or anything else.

I have started working on a front-mounted headlamp design using dual p60 style dropins and dual switches, but I'm a little stuck as to what I'm using for the internal stuff. I want it to be a "true" drop-in design, so no soldering on the dropins. Right now looking over switching options and methods for attaining a very high level of waterproofing. Think I've come up with a good solution but it'll need a little bit more modelling before I'm really ready to shoot for a prototype with it.

Also designing 18650 battery packs to complement it. Aluminum outer casing, master on/off, LED indicator.

And everything they've said is true. You let ANYTHING get in the way of your designing, and next thing you know a week has gone by and you haven't done anything to it. Otherwise I'm in solidworks, with a pile of flashlight parts on my desk, and my digital calipers out taking measurements and refining down design ideas.

It's a very slow process.

Nice to see you on here though. Missed your D/O cooking at the last trip. I think I ate more meals at the Crowbar than I did in camp on that one.

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
Totally stuck at this point on what switches I want to use. I'd like to maintain a very high level of waterproofness. I've been looking at using the "magnetospheric" switches, some kinda new generation of reed switches. Or possibly just using clicky's, but I want smaller ones than 20mm. Maybe 16mm.

Ok, here's a question, who knows a really good clicky switch supplier that carries 20mm and 16mm, and both forward and reverse clicky switches?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
plain clickys might be enough - but with some of the higher power drop-ins
you may be limited on how much current they can handle. McClickies only
handle ~5a. Id check out the Fettie by vanisleDSM maybe?
Im following this with rapt attention... please make a few extra to sell!!!
Id probably want to mount one on a headband if possible - if not then
Id mount the rail on my fullface mountain bike helmet hopefully under the
visor.

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
My entire purpose for doing it at this point is to make them marketable.
Originally I just wanted a better headlamp for myself, till I realized that with some proficiency in solidworks, and the determination to put good materials and parts together you can make something better than what's on the market; and that people will likely want them as well.

Sten's are "expensive", but they're almost cheap compared to those other one's coming outta Europe. I don't recall the name.

Only thing is that Stens, like most lights, "you get what you get". I'm not sure that dropin systems are as efficient, and they're definitely bulkier, but I really like the concept of purchasing/making a platform; and you vary the type and style of lighting output for your changing needs.

I was just about to order some of the magnetosphere switches till I realized that they're just momentary unless you have something holding the activator in position. They of course come either NC or NO, and are similar to reed switches, but much more durable and they don't freeze in place on overvoltages. Can't get the models much further till I know exactly what internals I'm using. Gah...

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
its almost the end of daylight savings time and Im
itching to upgrade my headlamp situation....

either one of these or an Ahorton - whichever is done first ;)

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I read the title of the post I thought you meant like.. you know.. car headlights.. That would be cool... Pop in some drop-ins into your car! Now there's a thought... I have tons of drop-ins that are brighter than the POS lamps on the car I drive...

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^yeah dual quads would be beter than my 1986 Corolla GTS sealed beam
halogens- imagine dual quads on yer head!!

....sigh it's been years tho

kevinm

Enlightened
I'm testing the prototype this weekend in cave, but I thought I'd add a picture or two to the thread.

KevinBaseLightRounded.jpg

Noname.jpg

I'll start a thread about this when we're close to a pre-order.

Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
It would be nice to have a headlight that i can buy p60 style drop-in and just pop in in. That way you can have the beam of your choice and upgrade to a better emmiter when the technology changes. One of you flashlight makers need to jump on this. I'll buy the first one.

Can I hold you to that? :)

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put me down as very interested in the p60 concept headlamp also. Of course the devil is in the details but the concept is righteous.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
yah Im PP ready... just ordered a Quad neutral XP-G module in hopes to use
it with one of these hosts..gonna order a pair of fresh 3100mah 18650s for
a batt pack too..
images-1.jpg

kevinm

Enlightened
The in cave test went off without a hitch. The light with a "500" lumen XM-L dropin was noticeably brighter than the Sten on turbo (even the Sten owner commented on it) and had better throw with a very useable corona. I had no trouble walking and seeing the floor, even in a cave with mud like peanut butter (very light absorbent). On low, it was good in belly crawls. It wasn't too heavy on the helmet and stayed put.

Good, all around!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the cooing ribs.
seems like a lot of room for the switch- almost as much as
the module.
oh yeah - are you thinking of making battery boxes?

also, what is the total height. Im tempted to put some kind of
mount on my fullface bike helmet tho Id like a strap mount too
if possible which is how I use my current HL (Spark 460NW)

red ano would look pretty sick too..:devil::devil::devil:

kevinm

Enlightened
Thanks; I like the ribs too. It's 10g heavier (10g more mass) than the one that's all cut out, but it might be worth the extra mass.

The switch is steel, handles 10A, is low profile and domed, military grade, mechanical (rather than electronic), and is really waterproof. Those things make it big. It looks like there will be room in there for an LED or two for flood, but the circuit would have to be separate. With all the different UI's with different dropins, it would be a bit weird controlled by the same switch.

I'm considering battery boxes as an option so far. They would make it a bit more expensive, which I am trying to avoid. They would make it tougher, though.

The helmet mount I designed has cut outs for the straps for a headband.

Red and blue are the top 2 color contenders! I hear that the shop I'm using does a really nice HA purple too.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
:hitit::hitit::hitit:

BUSHimages.jpg

I still think you could probably fit a bare flood emitter or two in the switch area ;)

does the unit have a swivel/hinge for adjusting the angle on the band?

Im also interested in the best way to make my own 2x 18650 batt holder/pack
and what type of connectors and cable to get etc.

PM me if you dont want to clog up this thread.

RCantor

Enlightened
I assume the round hole on top is the switch, the round hole on the R is for the P60. What's the square hole for? I'd get more than 1 if the price was great :) I like the fins but it seems that having them oriented parallel to the direction of travel would give you more air circulation.