Where did all the oldtimers go.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm one of the CPF "old timers" - here since 08-11-00 (or 11-08-00 for those across the pond).
I've always misspelled "toliet" and used the "-" instead of the "/" in dates. ;)
Using those two traits alone should be sufficient to allow most of you to recognise me regardless of what handle I use - "Telephony", "Stingmon", "Urine Potato", "The_LED_Museum", or "Wormmon".

I believe I was invited to check out CPF by Brock in early-August 2000; and except for a brief hiatus in late-2002, I've never left.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been here a while...I think I was on here before 2001 even, but the server crashed and all the data (user accounts) were lost...am I remembering that correctly? Wow...it's been a while!

JM-99

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CPF has changed in the two short years I've been enjoying membership. Perhaps I was on the tail end of a CPF era, but it feels different now - much faster paced with, seemingly, explosive growth. Most postings seem to be from new (2005) members.

avusblue

Enlightened
Time flies! After more than three years I am still checking in here almost daily, but much more of a browser than a poster nowadays. Most of my attention is given to a quick habitual spin through the B/S/T listings. I've toned down my cycling through types of lights, too, as I've settled on a relatively finite fleet of "good ones" that I like best (U2s, L4s, McLux PD, SL4AALux, ArcAAAs, Opalec Minimags).

I've been thankful for CPF along the way for providing an interactive education -- having tried and bought and sold a lot of things, I feel sorta like an expert now! Regarding keeping pace with CPF, there's just too many topics around here nowadays to follow all of it. I remember when the "new posts" screen listed a half day or more's worth of postings. Now it's a half hour's worth. Yikes! I guess that's a GOOD problem to have!

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of the forums that I visit most frequently. I do read at alot of other forums but none offer the wealth of information and class of people as CPF.
Thanks everyone!

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been here a couple years longer than I've had this name. I just don't have time to keep up with all the new flashlights and parts...every time I come back people might as well be speaking chinese talking about their new super turbo light thingy that nobody heard of 2 months ago. I've also noticed questions don't seem to get answered nearly as well as they used to.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Luff said:
Brock - put your cursor over your username and right click ... don't move your cursor. Your member number appears in the browser's status bar ... you're still #7.

Whoa... I'm user #6666 :devil:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I also found out about CPF through Brock's website (blame him!)

Chris M.'s post is quite similar to my experiences I guess. I have been fortunate to become friends with PK and to be part of SureFire's journey has been an honour and helps keep things fresh and interesting.

CPF is a community and people come and go. Nothing wrong with that.
For some perhaps the march toward LEDs and electronics was too much.
Everything is so much more complicated now-a-days.
And yet, more people are modding, there has been an explosion in manufacturers and choice, and CPF continues to grow.

To a certain extent I do miss the olden days but the journey I've been on over the years has been the real adventure!

Al

Kiessling

Flashaholic
People move on.
CPF changes.
It is inevitable .. refreshing ... and sad at the same time.
I hope that when my time will come to leave this place I will have given back what I took and learned one way or the other.
bernie

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though my start date shows Sep 2004 I was here in 2001 under the name of "Flashaholic". I still have emails in my email outbox/inbox to/from Size15's from April 2001. I left for awhile and then returned. I find it more interesting than ever now with all the hotwires.
Upon my return I could not find my old CPF handle so I created a new one.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been very exciting my first year or two here when Lux's were just coming out and modding was not widespread, especially with few people willing to shell out $60-$200 on Surefire lights only to disassembly them upon receipt :D. I guess I've suffered from boredom, burnout (probably did over a hundred mods for others, with my wife questioning my sanity) but spending time away reminds me that I'm still a flashaholic deep down inside. It is nice to have some sense of stability that can only be realized by looking around and seeing familiar faces of the past.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurked for a very long time trying to learn everything. It never happened, I'm still trying though. The new software has made me older. I used to be #8282 now I'm #5661; starting to feel my age. :D

-LT

ChrisA

Enlightened
whoa, never realized i'm an oldtimer already (# 448)...
str.gif
it's like darrell already pointed out:

Miss a weekend now, and it takes the whole next week to catch up! So much goes on now that I haven't even the slightest clue about.

it's sunday night, 2 am, i need to be up and running in about 4 hours and i'm still trying to catch up...
sigh.gif

chris

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I joined two years ago and I still feel like a relative noob here. :eek: Compared to the vast body of knowledge in this group, I think I will always feel this way.

MrMom

Enlightened
Jon

You calling me OLD? :lolsign:

I'm still here doing more reading than posting. I figure why post if someone else has said the same thing in a thread. See you all at my third SHOT show.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrMom said:
I figure why post if someone else has said the same thing in a thread.

If the search function worked on the older threads I'd agree but until it does I try to use what's left of my brain cells to recall what I've gleaned from past threads.

There are lots of newbies with the same questions most of us had at some point but they have only a couple of months history to search for the answer. :shrug:

-LT

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
It's hard to find time to log in. I just remembered that I had not been here in a long time and when I logged in I found that me message box was full of unanswered PM's from the last couple of months. oops. This has always been a great community with some of the most helpful folks around but I do miss the atmosphere it had when it was smaller.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My first post is:

The_LED_Museum
08-11-2000, 10:04 PM

You know, I too found this through Brock's flashlight links. I can't wait till this place starts to rock - and if all the e-mail I get about flashlights (sometimes up to 50 e-mails a day!!!) is any indication, it probably won't take very long to get this place hopping.