Where did all the oldtimers go.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still here. I've gotten back into the hobby more than last few months, for better or worse. :D Not much has gone on with the collection proper but I've been trying out a whole bunch of SFs that were over my price range when they were new way back when.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m an oldtimer. Member 54 originally. I learned to (almost) type here. Went by the name KenBar. Later became Badbeams. Then after a computer failure...badbeams2...and even later, after another computer bit the dust...Badbeams3. I remember when David would post...the Surefires were bomb...but most folks had Maglights with upgraded bulbs. The only led`s were the red Photons. The board was split between incandescent lights and silly folks who played with the led`s...the Surfire guy`s tended to look down at the LED folks.

I remember when David moved to Tampa...sold Ford cars. No advertising back then on the boards...folks could talk about whatever. I remember when David announced he was bringing some girl on to help with forum maintenance. No one thought anything about it other than...a girl? Little did we suspect she would one day take over our town.

I remember the 7 LED Ccrane 3 "c" bat light...was the talk of the town on the led side. I still have one...somewhere. Surefire was the last company to adopt LED`s...looks like they are just now starting to accept rechargeable batts.

I remember when one of our members, Peter Gransse, decided to try his hand at manufacturing lights...started the ARC company. Rather expensive little aaa lights.

I lost interest in lights some time back...but still have a little desire to keep up with the latest, brightest, smallest...but no desire to spend as much playing...like I used to. I plan on buying a 18650 light...maybe the ZL...as it seems pretty nice.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been a prolific poster, but I joined pretty early. I think my member number is like 20 or something. Maybe I'll edit it in if I can figure out how to find it ... lol

edit: ya, #20!

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
Been awhile for me too...my interest in flashlights is still deep...one day we will all move on.

Steve-at-Springboard

Newly Enlightened
I'm still here, too! Still doing the SHOT Show (booth #541 for 2013). First exhibited at SHOT in 2002, representing EternaLight and sharing my booth with Peter at ARC Flashlight (his first SHOT!).
Member #1044, thought I'd missed everything! Look what's happened since then! Who would believe we would be putting 9 amps through one LED (SST-90)!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I count as an old-timer compared to some of you old farts :nana: ,but I disappeared for a year due to some crazy issues in my life and have only recently found the stability to return and try and catch up with what I've missed... which... apparently wasn't that much...

Anyway... Good to see a lot of familiar faces in this thread that don't pop up as often as they should. Too many posts of people asking questions - not enough people going the distance to try and break new ground. It's like everyone's become complacent with a stock light of their choosing, and then they just talk about it for hours on end. Everyone should combine to try and bring CPF back to its former glory. All in favor...?

Shao

Last edited:

kaseri

Enlightened
I'm still here and I've been visiting CPF a lot more often lately. I even bought a couple of new lights recently. My collection is a fraction of what it once was. I now only buy lights that I have a real need for so I'm more of a user than a collector.

scrappy

Enlightened
I'm still here -- still reading more than posting but ... it is fun to learn. Just getting back into it - last week bought a Nitecore TM15 and a surefire M6lt -- I can't believe how much light comes out of these handheld lights. However nothing will get my Arc LHS' spot as my EDC. I do have a few regrets though, like selling my Spy005 and my Jets22 Blackbird with the hanger...sad. I remember waiting patiently for Mr. Bulk's VIP, Lionheart, Superbabypin, the latest from Don's Aleph system, and when I thought I was a modder by building a Mag85. Those were fun times. I started to lose interest when the little suckers started costing upwards of 500 bucks and money got a little tight. Anyway fun to be back and look at where the flashlight technology has gone.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still here -- still reading more than posting but ... it is fun to learn. Just getting back into it - last week bought a Nitecore TM15 and a surefire M6lt -- I can't believe how much light comes out of these handheld lights. However nothing will get my Arc LHS' spot as my EDC. I do have a few regrets though, like selling my Spy005 and my Jets22 Blackbird with the hanger...sad. I remember waiting patiently for Mr. Bulk's VIP, Lionheart, Superbabypin, the latest from Don's Aleph system, and when I thought I was a modder by building a Mag85. Those were fun times. I started to lose interest when the little suckers started costing upwards of 500 bucks and money got a little tight. Anyway fun to be back and look at where the flashlight technology has gone.

Well said! :)

I always loved the Jets22 Blackbird, had a complete set. Eventually sold it, and wouldn't mind having one again. They were really well done.

kayd

Newly Enlightened
There are some bricks on my way to enter the cpf. But as i managed to get in and find my dreamcandle, i hope that i will stay until someone calls me an oldtimer. That might take some time...and then i will wonder about where did you guys go?
sorry, i did not find this forum earlier!!

cy

Flashaholic
Well said! :)

I always loved the Jets22 Blackbird, had a complete set. Eventually sold it, and wouldn't mind having one again. They were really well done.
me too .. took me awhile to get it if I remember correctly. but I did get it and sold it shortly afterwards.
then again back then jumped on just about every new/super cool light that came out. sold most of them off way back when...
still got my original ti McLux PD, ti Surefire, M6 and a Larry light

still got a butt load of super rare Arc flashlights and enough parts to build hundreds of lights. just run out of steam ... got burnt out...
have though of selling out all my Arc parts to someone with energy to build out all those Arc lights with current electronics/emitters.
in no hurry .. Arc was the first, that's not changing anytime soon.

Last edited:

phoneguy

Enlightened
I dont come here as often as I used too. I remember waiting for my Mr Bulk VIP and thinking it would be the end all of lights....Still have the VIP and I think it has had one battery in it. The ARC LS did it for me, I loved the form factor, twisty and clicky. I still have a stock clicky and a 5 watt modded by Sengoku, never was able to get the Jets22 Blackbird before he up and disappeared...
Wife has been downsized out of 2 jobs in the last 3 years and I just dont have the budget for some of these new lights. I have carried a JetBeam Jet III Military for 5 yrs daily at work and it has taken a beating!!! It is starting to not be reliable after so much abuse but the light still looks great. May have to have someone bring it up to speed.
Nice to see some of the old timers still here...

Bryan

phoneguy

Enlightened
me too .. took me awhile to get it if I remember correctly. but I did get it and sold it shortly afterwards.
then again back then jumped on just about every new/super cool light that came out. sold most of them off way back when...
still got my original ti McLux PD, ti Surefire, M6 and a Larry light

still got a butt load of super rare Arc flashlights and enough parts to build hundreds of lights. just run out of steam ... got burnt out...
have though of selling out all my Arc parts to someone with energy to build out all those Arc lights with current electronics/emitters.
in no hurry .. Arc was the first, that's not changing anytime soon.

Cy, have any twisty tail caps in ano

Bryan

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What defines an old timer?
I seem to do things in cycles. Something will interst me greatly for a bit, then it'll be something else. Like Darryll said long ago, it's so busy that it's hard to keep up with everything.
And I've been doing a bit more gaming lately. :)

phoneguy

Enlightened
I've never been a prolific poster, but I joined pretty early. I think my member number is like 20 or something. Maybe I'll edit it in if I can figure out how to find it ... lol

How did you find your member number?

Nevermind...I found it. #3523 here

Bryan

Last edited:

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

How did you find your member number?

Nevermind...I found it. #3523 here

Bryan

Assuming it's the # in front of my username, in the URL of my profile page, I'm #3147. :)