Where have all the users gone?

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new use now trying out different lights in my herd as temp bike lights. P1, L2T and L2 are not bad. L2 on high gives the best flood of course. Now I,m wondering if a P1D CE would be a good permanent light.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Occupational user here, mostly durable, work-horse lights that can withstand abuse. Arc LS, Pelican's for run time and throw. And Underwater Kinetics for when it gets completely filthy and wet and near panelboards, etc. But these are not the lights most on CPF wish to discuss. These lights my be considered old news. But they perform their work without fail.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
You know, I see ads in the BST forum all the time that say New, or NIB, or shelf queen. I don't think I have one of those!?!?!?! I probably have somewhere between 50 - 100 lights at any one time. About the only ones that are not used, are a few of the original Arcs that I have in packaging. That's it! I couldn't sell any of them as new. some are in good condition, but many are pretty torn up.

On campouts with the scouts, I carry a flashlight bag. Probably a dozen or so that I put in there with spare batteries. I take out different ones each campout to play with. Who needs a campfire?

Well, ok, a campfire in fun too.

Goran

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm not a heavy user, but don't buy what I don't use either. Though getting overenthusiastic sometimes over things like this (or knives or other "indispensable" things) I'm trying not to get into "xyzholizm" . So even with spending time on the forum reading the posts regularly as now I have purchased only three lights and use all of them. A electrolumens blaster (outdoor use), eternalight (home/camping/travel) and just ordered an OrbRawNsXr for the key chain after getting a few times in a situations where I needed a light when not expecting it, so figured that something stylish, small enough and powerful enough like that could be useful. Though now I've seen the fenix P1D CE and with 3-stage and longer outputs in a small package it might be an ideal pocket light. I don't see the need for anything else. Of course i could have purchased a firefly or cr2 or something else instead of the RawNs, but i can't use all of them at the same time, cr2 is more flood (and I need it more for unsuspected outdoor situations). FF would be the best choice but the support and attitude is on the Orb side and that is as important as the product itself. End the looks of course :D

So for now I don't see th need for other lights apart that P1DCE thing. I could upgrade the blaster for something stronger but frankly had no practical need for that.

Well another thing that might have sense is a lighter (plastic) weatherproof light for rough outdoor use like the UK 4AA, Streamlight ProPoly or Heliotek HTE-1 case someone needs that. I like the Heliotek but would take the UK or PP for the easy to find batteries they use.

At any rate even if there is "holism" in I couldn't convince myself to buy something I don't use as usually this things are just like children's toys – interesting for a few days, than you get bored and want a new one.

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Am I a user? Was on my back under my desk at work a few days ago. Needed to identify some phone jack numbers because my desk is being moved to a new location. Used an Inova X5 to illuminate the wall plate because I forgot to put my Gerber IU in my pocket that day.

cdosrun

Enlightened
I'm certainly not a heavy user. I am what GreenLED (I think it was him) called an occasional user, I don't go hunting that elusive white wall, and I always like to have at least one torch on me.

However, I am not doing anything heavy duty with them, normally it involves tasks around the house or when out walking, checking the car over at night etc. On the other side, I have always been into new technology and love to see what is out there. If I can have a torch that is capable of twice the brightness on maximum, with twice the run time, then I will try and buy one. Anything I don't use or have a suitable backup purpose for (such as sitting in the car) is given away.

I'm not a proper, professional user, nor a white wall hunter. From the posts I have seen, this sort of usage group is becoming one of the most common on this site and it would be sad if this causes more 'serious' users to become disheartened because they are the ones who have built this site up to its current state.

Just my two penneth.

Andrew

Last edited:

magpie

Newly Enlightened
use all my lights for work bar one ...aircraft mechanic

1 aa mag with led drop in kit(niteize)
1 3d cell mag standard(may run a ROP lo in this soon)
1 6v sealey lantern torch
1 petzl headlamp

all the above are scratched up well used and abused lights but even like my other tools they are bought for a job and that job sometimes invoves putting them into areas where they will get scratched up and dinged.

my other flashlight is a 4d mad(again all scratched up was in my garage for using when working on car) that i have recently converted to an ROP...that one is just for fun.

i also have a 3 led torch in the car but i dont even know what it is :)