where to get wool blankets cheap?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm ordering material currently for a 3 mile uphill underground electrical service to operate a well and barn for goats and sheep. Maybe dude is just on top of this wool explosion and the goats are always good to have. Hmmmm.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
when its cold and raining ill stick with wool. ive been cold not like you been cold ive been poor and cold no way to heat up. so cold i was afraid be a ice pop. so now i have money im trying to prevent being cold

Poppy

Flashaholic
Ever try to stay warm or to get warm with a blanket, outdoors in the wind? Oh yeah, and the rain? It doesn't work.

Rich or poor, being wet and cold with no way to heat up sucks. So now that you have money, do what I do to prevent being wet and cold.
1. when it is raining out and cold, stay indoors
2. when it is cold out be prepared to be out in it for a prolonged period of time.
3. now, and while you have money, buy yourself some breathable rain gear, I like gore tex but there are similar products that work just as well.

My winter coat is a 3 season hooded 2 layer coat. Mylerized fleece liner, and gortex shell.
My cold weather gear includes the option of gore tex shell pants, or gortex like 3M insulated bibs.

The gore tex keeps your inner layers dry, and polyester fleece layers are much more lightweight. It makes no sense to walk around with a wet heavy wool blanket.

For an inner layer consider a set of duofold thermals

Dressed properly, just walking around will keep you warm.

To sleep outdoors, you might just need a windbreak, and a face mask or scarf.

To sleep indoors, you don't have to worry about wet insulation so just get a blanket and or quilt that suits your comfort.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
when its cold and raining ill stick with wool. ive been cold not like you been cold ive been poor and cold no way to heat up. so cold i was afraid be a ice pop. so now i have money im trying to prevent being cold
Genuinely sorry to hear that, Raggie.
Honestly, comes a time when you just have to admit that if you want a 100% Wool blanket, new, Queen sized at the very least; bite the bullet. Pay the $200, and cry once. Wait a bit longer and the price is just going to go up from here.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i also bought a eletric blanket it will be solar powered if i get off my rear

fuyume

Enlightened
The only place you can get decent wool blankets inexpensively is at charity shops. The three I have were all purchased about 10 years at Goodwill stores in the Seattle area for $15 each, one a mint condition Queen size vintage Faribo, one a good condition vintage Queen size Kenwood (Kenwood Woolen Mills, long defunct, not Sears Roebuck), and the third a lower quality, but servicable brand I can't remember. A brand new Queen size Faribault or Pendleton will run you $250-550 USD, depending on the weight/model.

Just a few years ago, in 2018, my local charity shop here in Vermont had two vintage Kenwoods in excellent condition for $18 and $25, but I stupidly did not buy them.

Faribault does have clearance sales, and if you can visit their factory stores (in Faribault, MN, at the actual mill, or they have two new stores in Edina, MN, and Excelsior, MN), you may find even better deals. I bought a gorgeous factory second throw size blanket at the mill store 10 years ago, when I was moving back East from Seattle, for a ridiculously low price (much less than $100, I think maybe like $65? I gifted it to my daughter, because it felt too nice for me to use). The only thing wrong with it was that one line in the weave was the wrong color.

Most people who are looking for wool blankets understand the value of them, and they sell for pretty substantial prices on eBay and Etsy.

fuyume

Enlightened
Fun story about Faribault. The company went bankrupt some years ago, the factory had shut down and was shuttered, and just before the mills were about to be broken down and shipped to China, the former CEO of Dairy Queen, who grew up in Fairbault, bought the company, and put everyone back to work, rehired all the old hands with the decades of skill running the factory. So, if you can at all afford to buy from them, you are doing America a favor, keeping one of the last remaining woolen mills in the US operational.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Most people who are looking for wool blankets understand the value of them, and they sell for pretty substantial prices on eBay and Etsy.
I have a massive amount of experience on Etsy.
Quite frankly, a whole helluva lot more than I wish I had.
While the site is starting to put in real effort in cleaning things up.
(Massive amounts of con-men easily setting up shop on Etsy).
It's far from being reputable, overall. I'd advise HUGE caution.
I still sometimes shop on there. But almost exclusively from shops I have prior experience with who haven't blatantly cheated me out of my money.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When I shop somewhere that I think may have questionable reliability, I pay with PayPal, which is backed up/funded with a debit card.
That should give me some level of protection, regarding getting my money back.

As far as I know we only bought ONE thing on etsy, it was a mickey mouse globe for the front post light. We were satisfied with the purchase.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I wanted a wool blanket to carry in my vehicle in case I get stranded in the winter, and for camping, although I've seldom needed it for either. I got mine off of ebay, probably over 15 years ago. Not sure what I paid, maybe $40 approx. It's an army surplus WWII model, like new. Has the US logo stamped on it, and still has the old tag with the 1940 something date. I keep it rolled up in a pillow case in my truck.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I wanted a wool blanket to carry in my vehicle in case I get stranded in the winter, and for camping, although I've seldom needed it for either. I got mine off of ebay, probably over 15 years ago. Not sure what I paid, maybe $40 approx. It's an army surplus WWII model, like new. Has the US logo stamped on it, and still has the old tag with the 1940 something date. I keep it rolled up in a pillow case in my truck.
In another prep thread I mentioned that I keep a few fleece blankets in my trunk. Another member suggested carrying a sleeping bag instead because the inside of a car gets cold very quickly and a bag is much warmer. I argued that it rarely gets below 20F in the winter in NJ, and then when I checked, I found that I was wrong!

So, although I do keep a couple small throw fleece blankets in the car, during the winter I put a sleeping bag in the trunk. More often than not, they get used as an insulation for my bottom when sitting on aluminum bleachers for a football game.

In a waterproof compression sack I also keep a couple fleece shirts, pairs of socks, change of underwear, and a gortex shell parker. In there I also keep a couple of those thin plastic bags from the produce section of our super market, to act as waterproof liners between a dry pair of socks, and possibly wet sneakers or shoes. I don't always wear waterproof shoes. Wet feet are very uncomfortable.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I shop somewhere that I think may have questionable reliability, I pay with PayPal, which is backed up/funded with a debit card.
That should give me some level of protection, regarding getting my money back.

As far as I know we only bought ONE thing on etsy, it was a mickey mouse globe for the front post light. We were satisfied with the purchase.
PayPal does absolutely the least it can to help buyers anymore. It's absolutely ridiculous the lengths they go to NOT to help you.