where would you live if you could live any where you wanted?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I absolutely despise politicians who think the rules don't apply to them. Then when caught, are genuinely surprised that citizens hate them and refuse to listen to them.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hope i dont come across as shalow for prefering a certain body type. i just prefere woman with the hour glass figure.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Missed my chance to visit the area this year due to health issues. Hard to drive that far with a movement disorder. My left hand works for steering, but my right arm wants to jerk the wheel into traffic. Can't drive that far with one good arm.

Usually, my Dad and I meet up with some friends at Aspen Campground near Lee Vining and base camp there for two weeks. We go on hikes in Yosemite, do a float down the Klamath River, find a waterfall slide to go down 5-6 miles past the Soda Springs at Tuolumne Meadows, and see the Mariposa Grove of Redwood trees, among other things. Outside of Yosemite, we visit Mono Lake Visitor Center for the air conditioning and stop by Mono Cone for a meal. We go kayaking at Gull Lake which has a rope swing you can paddle out to and use to jump in the lake. Silver Lake is fun for kayaking too. We go down into Mammoth to see the waterfalls and go on hikes, visit Devil's Postpile, as well as hike to a giant earthquake fault (not in the valley). In town, we check out the thrift shops. You can get some good bargains on skiing and hiking equipment, and good jackets. On Sunday, we go to church by Gull Lake. We do hikes farther south from Tom's Place north of Bishop as far south as Lone Pine. North of Mono Lake, the Lundy Lakes trail is great for seeing waterfalls. We also visit the old ghost town Bodie. On the 4th of July, we go north to Bridgeport and enjoy the festivities including kids climbing a greased pole and their fireworks show. Fireworks are legal to purchase there so the show isn't over until everyone has shot theirs off.

I miss that area so much as well as hanging out with friends. Hopefully I'll be able to go there sometime again and do some of the fun things up there with some friends there too. Just seems like with everything that's been happening with my health and what's going on in the world, I'm wondering if I'll be able to go back there or be able to do anything fun still.
Thanks for the detailed reply and hope your health improves so you can visit again. The whole south and northeastern Sierra is special and not well known even to most Californians due to its remoteness. I once drove 395 from north of L.A. all the way up past Goose Lake way up in Modoc county in the far northeast corner of the state. It was winter and there was snow on the ground as a lot of Modoc county is a high volcanic plateau around 5000 feet elevation. It's a very interesting, remote part of California and was still relatively unknown and unpopulated back in those days. There wasn't much in the way of development. I hope that hasn't changed in the last 20 years.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue Lake in Alturas, CA. Modoc County.. Campgrounds is open this season. You might pass a large burn scar on the way in from last year. But still looks just like it always has.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220716-063028.jpg
    Screenshot_20220716-063028.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 72

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Blue Lake in Alturas, CA. Modoc County.. Campgrounds is open this season. You might pass a large burn scar on the way in from last year. But still looks just like it always has.
Nice.

Forty years ago I passed thru Alturas on the way to and from Mt. Lassen. There wasn't much there. I recall thinking that this will be the last town in California to develop. Lol. But I've read that even Alturas real estate has appreciated in recent years.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, CA coastal areas is no surprise to me. But I am surprised to see Big Island Kona not in the red zone.
Billings, MT looks good to me. Pocatello, ID is another prospect