where would you live if you could live any where you wanted?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Years ago when I was single my sister suggested I move near her, which is near the ocean. She suggested I could surf each morning then cook at a sea food joint making a lot of money. I had recently read "the joy of cooking" and was applying my newly learned skills at family gatherings so she figured that would be ideal for a guy like me.

I declined. "What? Are you crazy?" she said. I said "Nah, I'll just be another jaded person in paradise". In other words on days with good waves I'd be complaining they should be better, when the weather is perfect I'd be complaining because it's not MORE perfect……and now days the place is super crowded with transplants who brought their bs with them. My little slice of heaven was home to 17,000 folks back then and 17,000 folks now. Nope I'm good where I am.

Years ago when I was single my sister suggested I move near her, which is near the ocean. She suggested I could surf each morning then cook at a sea food joint making a lot of money. I had recently read "the joy of cooking" and was applying my newly learned skills at family gatherings so she figured that would be ideal for a guy like me.

I declined. "What? Are you crazy?" she said. I said "Nah, I'll just be another jaded person in paradise". In other words on days with good waves I'd be complaining they should be better, when the weather is perfect I'd be complaining because it's not MORE perfect……

HA! You reminded me of Washingtonians. We complain all winter that the rain will never stop. Then, we complain all summer about the lack of rain. Nevertheless, weather-wise, the Pacific Northwest is paradise.

ledbetter

Enlightened
No complaints here.
E7BF7ECF-3EAD-47B8-9A1F-78F23D1144DF.jpeg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
HA! You reminded me of Washingtonians. We complain all winter that the rain will never stop. Then, we complain all summer about the lack of rain. Nevertheless, weather-wise, the Pacific Northwest is paradise.
I remember when Washingtonians biggest complaint was Californians moving up to your State driving up real estate prices?
Every time we drove up there, with CA lic plates, I received more than a few middle fingers "Welcome to the PNW"

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One year on a day when the temperature was over 100 in my area (which is not typical) a tv reporter stopped by a construction project I was on and wanted to interview a worker. The girl asked "how do you deal with it?" One guy said "we have to wear a plastic bag vest and plastic helmet then the boss gives you the stink eye when you stand in the shade". She looked at another fellow and says "how about you?" He said "I just think about how cold it will be this winter" then she looked at me and asked "how about you?" to which I replied "pffft this is nothing, (and pointed south at paving nearby) those guys over there have the job of spreading 300 degree asphalt all day, it's only 125 here".

A few years before that this lily-white kid walks up to me on a hot day while I was watching over paving and says "I'm (insert name here) with Style Weekly (a local magazine) and we're doing a story called top ten jobs you don't want this summer. We want to interview a paving inspector". He starts taking photos of me.
I said "I'd like to thank God, my mom and my sponsors" then said "nah just kidding". I had an infrared thermometer in my hand and aimed it at the ground. I said "dude it's only 115 here, you should talk to those guys" and pointed at the paving crew. He walked across the new asphalt and stood on the paving machine. After about 2 minutes the kid collapsed and had to be dragged to some shade nearby. I never took the time to see if that article hit that magazine or not.

I remember when Washingtonians biggest complaint was Californians moving up to your State driving up real estate prices?
Every time we drove up there, with CA lic plates, I received more than a few middle fingers "Welcome to the PNW"

About 30 years ago, a friend, my Better 3/4s, and I drove to San Francisco. While driving around the city, I was amazed by how courteous Californian drivers were. We were visiting a friend and I mentioned it to him. He replied - "Yes, we're friendly drivers except when we're contending for a parking space. Then it's every driver for himself. You can back the wrong way down a one-way street and if a cop sees you, all he'll do is nod."

tenor.gif

As far as being flipped off every time you drove up here, well, you know what they say - "If everyone you meet is an @sshole, they might not be the problem." :ROFLMAO:

All joking aside, I know, without fail, I'll experience a dangerous driver within five minutes of leaving home.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chaunce you could very well be correct. I was driving an 80s Volvo 240 wagon that didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way.
I never took the fingers personal. After all who am I to judge. Maybe all those nice folks mistook me for someone else from CA..
Gotta say, I sure liked Bainbridge Island!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
To: jtr1962 ~

Apologies for the late reply. I honestly missed the notifications, and only saw them now. Thank you for clarifying about street designs. I agree with you that things definitely need improving with regards to all the individual points you brought up. Instead of trying for a proper symbiotic relationship of drivers and bicyclists, the city in its infinite wisdom decided that an adversarial design was best. No clue why. Unfortunately due to budgetary reasons (and just plain raw, naked, unadulterated GREED) those changes you mentioned are very unlikely to be implemented for at least a few decades in this city. Thank you for the video. I found it truly eye-opening.
Yes, correct on all points. If we did things right in this city, we wouldn't be framing this as a drivers versus cyclists versus pedestrians thing. Everyone benefits from good street design. Smart traffic signals for example would make driving faster in this city. And sadly, it'll probably take us decades to get where many other countries already are.
Also, very sorry about your father's untimely passing. I realized immediately that your 2nd post was out of concern, and not criticism. (You're one of the long-time members on CPF I've always respected.) I genuinely appreciate the concern. I'm working towards transitioning out of one of those jobs. The morning one as a Medical Heath worker is far more important than my Graveyard shift security job. But the morning hours are fewer per week, despite technically higher pay. I'm happy to report that none of the elderly individuals under my care have gotten infected. Thanks to some very strict measures I realized early on had to be put in place. But yes, you're right. These types of hours just aren't sustainable over the long haul.
Yeah, my dad's been gone since 2006 but I still miss him. He would have been 88 this October.

Thank you for taking my post in the way in which I intended it. Also glad to hear that you did the right thing with those under your care.

Chaunce you could very well be correct. I was driving an 80s Volvo 240 wagon that didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way.
I never took the fingers personal. After all who am I to judge. Maybe all those nice folks mistook me for someone else from CA..
Gotta say, I sure liked Bainbridge Island!

Just kidding, Bro. Drivers up here are terrible. Our Crack addled driver population is on the rise. They're the worst. :oops:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
We got plenty of those drivers as well. To make it worse many of them are packing weapons..
Maybe Billings, Montana isn't a bad choice to escape to?

We got plenty of those drivers as well. To make it worse many of them are packing weapons..
Maybe Billings, Montana isn't a bad choice to escape to?

I've considered it on occasion. Family ties keep me here. Our latest Real Property Value Notice reveals the Powers That Be have decided our property gained $68,400 during the last year. :banghead:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
when ever i see a good looking woman in this town i know right away she isnt from here lol. i can say this becuase im ugly to lol most woman here are shaped like a potato

Monocrom

Flashaholic
when ever i see a good looking woman in this town i know right away she isnt from here lol. i can say this becuase im ugly to lol most woman here are shaped like a potato
I'll happily marry a potato if she can cook, is dedicated to me, makes my Life easier (thus better) and is happy to experiment in another room of the house. I'll put a ring on her in a heartbeat. You can have the pretty ones. Number of Perfect 10s I've encountered in Life during my over 4 decades of existence who were smart, Down-to-Earth, kind-hearted, fun-loving, and just plain enjoyable to be around.... 1. (I'm not even joking.)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
If I had my health back and money to afford it, Lee Vining, Ca. It's right outside Yosemite on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. There is plenty of hiking, camping, backpacking, viewing waterfalls and wildlife, floating down the Klamath River, fishing, swimming, etc. Lee Vining has a great view of Mono Lake. There's also a nice campground nearby at the base of a waterfall (Aspen Campground). Nearby is the the June Lake Loop with kayaking at Gull and Silver Lakes. Silver Lake has a slow meandering stream flowing into it. You can paddle hard upstream, turn around, then float downstream by just steering. Travel a little farther south and you have Mammoth with good skiing in the winter. Also has good views of Rainbow and Minaret Falls (have to go higher up the trail to see the real Minaret waterfall, it's huge) and Devil's Postpile. Great backpacking for more experienced hikers as well (helps to know how to rock climb). A little farther south you have the trailhead at Tom's Place for Little Lakes Valley, a good beginner backpacking trail. Traveling farther south out of Bishop, you have North Lake, Lake Sabrina, and South Lake trailheads. North Lake to Lake Muriel and down to Hutchinson Meadows is my favorite trail. At Independence you have the Onion Valley trailhead and the fastest route across the Sierras (watch out for bears at the Kearsarge Lakes). Out of Lone Pine, you have the trail to Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48 states. Don't miss out on the pancakes at Whitney Portal. They're so big, they flip them with what looks like a snow shovel. I miss being able to hike (stupid movement disorder) and being able to eat real food (celiac disease). If anyone wants to head out there, have fun, and try the pancakes.
I like that area too, in fact I luv the whole southern Sierra with its unique flora and fauna and ecosystem. Our family used to camp and vacation there when I was growing up from the 60s to the 70s. Last time I was in the area was about 20 years ago when I drove out to Mammoth Lakes, Lone Pine, Mono Lake. We also used to hang out around Shaver and Huntington Lakes. I hope they haven't changed much in the years since.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that area too, in fact I luv the whole southern Sierra with its unique flora and fauna and ecosystem. Our family used to camp and vacation there when I was growing up from the 60s to the 70s. Last time I was in the area was about 20 years ago when I drove out to Mammoth Lakes, Devil's Post Pile, Lone Pine, Mono Lake, etc. We also used to hang out around Shaver and Huntington Lakes. I hope they haven't changed much in the years since.
Missed my chance to visit the area this year due to health issues. Hard to drive that far with a movement disorder. My left hand works for steering, but my right arm wants to jerk the wheel into traffic. Can't drive that far with one good arm.

Usually, my Dad and I meet up with some friends at Aspen Campground near Lee Vining and base camp there for two weeks. We go on hikes in Yosemite, do a float down the Klamath River, find a waterfall slide to go down 5-6 miles past the Soda Springs at Tuolumne Meadows, and see the Mariposa Grove of Redwood trees, among other things. Outside of Yosemite, we visit Mono Lake Visitor Center for the air conditioning and stop by Mono Cone for a meal. We go kayaking at Gull Lake which has a rope swing you can paddle out to and use to jump in the lake. Silver Lake is fun for kayaking too. We go down into Mammoth to see the waterfalls and go on hikes, visit Devil's Postpile, as well as hike to a giant earthquake fault (not in the valley). In town, we check out the thrift shops. You can get some good bargains on skiing and hiking equipment, and good jackets. On Sunday, we go to church by Gull Lake. We do hikes farther south from Tom's Place north of Bishop as far south as Lone Pine. North of Mono Lake, the Lundy Lakes trail is great for seeing waterfalls. We also visit the old ghost town Bodie. On the 4th of July, we go north to Bridgeport and enjoy the festivities including kids climbing a greased pole and their fireworks show. Fireworks are legal to purchase there so the show isn't over until everyone has shot theirs off.

I miss that area so much as well as hanging out with friends. Hopefully I'll be able to go there sometime again and do some of the fun things up there with some friends there too. Just seems like with everything that's been happening with my health and what's going on in the world, I'm wondering if I'll be able to go back there or be able to do anything fun still.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Potato shaped people is the new normal.
After two years in lockdown and now it being too expensive to go anywhere fun to get a workout or eat a healthy meal, everyone gained weight and let themselves go to a degree. Fat is the new fit. Potato people outnumber the skinny fries.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Still got my membership to Planet Fitness since before the pandemic. Only $10 a month. (Honestly though, I only go there due to the fact that there are no "real" gyms anywhere remotely close to where I live. As long as you avoid the monthly Pizza Parties they throw, it's possible to get in shape.)

Nearest fun places are all in Long Island.... where the infection rate is just over 10%. No thank you.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
During the lockdowns, all of our gyms were closed in California. When they started opening up, you had to make an appointment because they were limited to 10% capacity. You had to wear a mask while working out. Much of the time they were allowed open, it was only in an outdoor setting under a canopy, during summer, wearing a mask. They finally opened the gyms when they got caught having indoor gyms open for federal employees only for which had been open for months. The state lost all credibility after that, the governors' outlawed dinner at the French Laundry and Pelosi's banned visit to the hair salon. If you want to convince people to take Covid seriously, you have to know actions speak louder than words. They also closed the hiking trails and the parks so you couldn't get out and exercise outside. People ordered a lot of weight sets and Pelaton treadmills to try to stay in shape at home, but the shape most of us ended up as was round.