Which light for my wife?

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
I need some suggestions on a flashlight for my wife. She needs something to use while taking the dogs out at night to avoid stepping in something she doesn't want to step in. Preferably 200+ lumens, more flood than spot, and rechargeable via a USB micro cable.

We've used lots of lights over the years, and I currently have a few old Quark lights that are still NIB. I've been using mine with with an AW 14500 as my EDC light for over a decade now. Problem is that my wife refuses to carry anything (not just a light, but anything) with her at all times. Anything she thinks she needs gets tossed in the abyss she calls a purse never to be found again. Also, she never bothers to recharge anything until she needs it. She also insists that she can't figure out how to do simple technical things like swap batteries and put the old ones in a charger. Thus the reason for wanting something that recharges with a USB Micro cable. Cost is an issue because this will likely set on a counter or shelf by the door where the kids will likely loose it... Sorry, need to think more positive. It needs to be cheap because I'm certain the kids will loose it... There, much better ;)

Thanks,
Mark

Keitho

Enlightened
One strategy might be to go with something too big to conveniently disappear into the bottom of a purse, or for the kids to lose. The Thrunite TN30 might not be the perfect light (probably too throwy), but it is I light I have near my front door because it is the right size. For lights this size in my house, my wife just thinks that they are magic self-charging lights, because somehow (because I check them and replace cells) they're always ready.

For one that meets your criteria, maybe something like the Wuben TO50R HC? They're not "cheap" now, but there might be people like me who got them at the group buy price and would part with an extra if you posted a WTB. I like them because of the power bank function, USB charging, and strong tail magnet. The tail magnet might make it harder to lose in the bottom of a purse--it will stick to keys and other metal stuff down there and make a big ball of loose metal "essentials!"

Good luck thinking positive!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since she doesn't like carrying stuff there's Fenix wt20r. Rechargeable and has a rotating head: clip to the belt and her hands are free. The jetbeam e10r is also rechargeable. Those lights use aa batteries which i think will be safer than giving li-ion lights to newbies. You can use parametrek's website to put in criteria to meet to fit your needs and they'll calculate a match

torchsarecool

Enlightened
The astrolux ec01 might fit the bill. In muggle mode with max 240 lumens it would last a long time on a 21700 cell. Rechargeable inside the light. Theyre also cheap

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since she doesn't like carrying stuff there's Fenix wt20r. Rechargeable and has a rotating head: clip to the belt and her hands are free. The jetbeam e10r is also rechargeable. Those lights use aa batteries which i think will be safer than giving li-ion lights to newbies. You can use parametrek's website to put in criteria to meet to fit your needs and they'll calculate a match

You know, I have been super intrigued by that light the one or two times I glanced at it online, but it seems so under-covered by the greater flashlight community. Seems like a really cool light. Watching a vid on it right now and it does exactly what I hoped and that is not just stop at 90* and it seems like it goes another 45* so that you can point it down at things while on a surface. Also separate spot and flood optics and a magnet and seemingly very functional clip? .... Ugh, fine I'll add it to the lights I want.

And fields_mj, a random good light that fits your bill I could recommend is the Klarus 360X3. Crazy max output and is almost all flood, even using a reflector because it has a huge XHP70 and also orange peel reflector. Micro USB rechargeable and comes with an 18650. They have similar lights now with 21700's or whatever that size is, but I don't own any lights using that cell. Not sure I even have chargers that could fit that size anyway at the moment unless they could fit in my 18650 chargers.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have managed to make my wifie EDC an Olight M1T Raider. But Olight instead of making it in copper, for example... discontinued it.

It has very simple interface, highly energy efficient and provides enough "punch". They are still available in some stores.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mrs Yeti has the same tendencies as Mrs Fields.
I've given her a single output Malkoff (I know it's not in your budget) which I just fish out of her purse every few days and replace the battery. I really don't approve of USB ports as they are a source of failure.
P

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My wife has a streamlight key mate clipped to the zipper of her purse to illuminate the abyss. So whichever lighting device gets hidden down in the black hole can be illuminated easily. She prefers light colored flashlights like a tan G2xPro as it usually stands out. Plus the initial on output is useable enough that the pair of cells lasts a couple years since it practically never gets turned to high mode.

One night a couple years back while strolling around the block with one I clicked it to high. She said "uh, how did you do that?" I showed her and she responded that the high mode might come in handy sometime.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have managed to make my wifie EDC an Olight M1T Raider. But Olight instead of making it in copper, for example... discontinued it.

It has very simple interface, highly energy efficient and provides enough "punch". They are still available in some stores.

Waiting on the AA Olight i5T currently. Should be similar to the M1T without quite the same punch of course. I think the coronavirus may slow these lights getting to the market so I don't know how soon I will see mine. Not USB but will run on a single eneloop and probably get decent mileage on a primary lithium, li-ions are a NO GO for this light.

FWIW my wife(non-flashoholic) likes to use the Maglite ML25 2C for dog duty. Pretty cost effective and the newer 2 level model should provide a little better run-time than the original single level with flat regulation. I like the flat regulation on the original but it comes at the cost of battery life, especially if your using eneloops in adapters. Just breaking my own rule and using C cell alkaleaks in that particular light now for convenience.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting on the AA Olight i5T currently. Should be similar to the M1T without quite the same punch of course. I think the coronavirus may slow these lights getting to the market so I don't know how soon I will see mine. Not USB but will run on a single eneloop and probably get decent mileage on a primary lithium, li-ions are a NO GO for this light.

FWIW my wife(non-flashoholic) likes to use the Maglite ML25 2C for dog duty. Pretty cost effective and the newer 2 level model should provide a little better run-time than the original single level with flat regulation. I like the flat regulation on the original but it comes at the cost of battery life, especially if your using eneloops in adapters. Just breaking my own rule and using C cell alkaleaks in that particular light now for convenience.

What's wrong with these cells: https://www.batteryjunction.com/onepiofcsi50.html?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing I should think, but I would prefer to go with the Tenergy LSD cells whenever I get around to buying a charger-battery set up. All I have currently for the Mag as far as rechargeable batteries are AA eneloops in AA to C adapters. Still have a small surplus of C cell alkalines that were going to waste anyway.I just hate the leak potential from single cell alkalines but decided to risk it in the low cost 2C Mag.

Poppy

Flashaholic
There's something to be said about a big light being easy to find.

Despite the fact that I'll let my grandson take ANY of my lights camping, he takes a headlamp, a C2+ with a diffuser as a lantern, and a Home Depot Defiant 3C cell triple. I built an adapter so that it will run on a 18650. The big light is easy to find in his pack. As a triple it does have a nice large hot-spot.

My wife bought a 2 D cell Rayovac light. There is something to be said about D cell alkalines.
1. at low current (less than one amp) they are comparable to a 3400 mah 18650 in capacity.
2. as they deplete, the light gradually dims... no sudden turning off.

We had gone on a few night walks with both her 2D cell and one of mine with a single 18650, and I was concerned I may run out of juice, but her's kept on running. Honestly it surprised me.

Regarding using a light for dog walking, if you have to pick up poop, a head lamp is the more utilitarian tool. A big light might be easier to hold in the crook of your neck, and a small light between your teeth.
All options. :)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe one of those lights that you plug in that comes on when the power goes out? Pretty cheap and easy to find if you keep it plugged in and it stays charged....not 200 lumens though.

Kuroyuki

Newly Enlightened
Gave my wife a manker lad and a sofirn sp10s for EDC. I also carry extra light for her, in case she forgot to bring hers. :D