Which light?

BBeard

Newly Enlightened
I need an updated flashlight. I am currently carrying an older surefire outdoorsman xenon which I love.

However I would like to upgrade to 200 lumens at least.

The outdoorsman is 1" dia bezel 4.5 inch long and two cr123 batteries.

These dimensions are perfect. I could go an inch longer but really don't want to go any wider on the bezel.

I want full illumination only with a clicky.

I prefer bezel down and a deep clip but neither are a deal breaker.

I do want good quality. $100.00 limit

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really like the Outdoorsman, then there's no reason to get rid of it. There are many options for LED assemblies that will replace your light's incandescent bulb. Lumens Factory is one of the more popular ones.

There are also multiple options for E-Series compatible heads.

Surefire offers LED heads for E-Series bodies, such as the KX2C. This is a single mode 200 lumen head with TIR optic. The E2D LED head is a dual output head that's similar in size to the KX2C. It's also uses an optic and outputs 200 lumens on high, followed by a 5 lumen low.

Here's a Malkoff Devices MDC head on an E Body. They currently come in low-medium-high and single mode variants, with outputs up to 400 lumens. In the used market, they can be found in other output mode formats. Most of them use a reflector designed by Don McLeish, but the E2T uses an optic for increased throw.

MDC%20on%20E2D_zpss1wzq9xv.jpg

Here are a couple with Valiant Concepts VME heads installed. These heads are compatible with all Malkoff Devices drop-ins. They're a little larger in diameter, compared to the MDC, but give you lots of options for output, color temperature, emittters, etc.
VMEs%20on%20SFs_zpsqrjc2trx.jpg

I don't own one, but I think most McGizmo heads are E-Series compatible......and above your added price limit.

Last edited:

BBeard

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Grizzman. While I was waiting I looked around the for sale section and "found" Malkoff. I mentioned I liked the outdoorsman because of its dimensions and clicky. I think I would just as soon buy a complete flashlight and keep the surefire for other duties as long as replacement bulbs are available. Malkoff does not mention their dimensions that I could find but I will be calling them Monday. I like the looks of the Novatac/HDC Lights too.
If you really like the Outdoorsman, then there's no reason to get rid of it. There are many options for LED assemblies that will replace your light's incandescent bulb. Lumens Factory is one of the more popular ones.

There are also multiple options for E-Series compatible heads.

Surefire offers LED heads for E-Series bodies, such as the KX2C. This is a single mode 200 lumen head with TIR optic. The E2D LED head is a dual output head that's similar in size to the KX2C. It's also uses an optic and outputs 200 lumens on high, followed by a 5 lumen low.

Here's a Malkoff Devices MDC head on an E Body. They currently come in low-medium-high and single mode variants, with outputs up to 400 lumens. In the used market, they can be found in other output mode formats. Most of them use a reflector designed by Don McLeish, but the E2T uses an optic for increased throw.

MDC%20on%20E2D_zpss1wzq9xv.jpg

Here are a couple with Valiant Concepts VME heads installed. These heads are compatible with all Malkoff Devices drop-ins. They're a little larger in diameter, compared to the MDC, but give you lots of options for output, color temperature, emittters, etc.
VMEs%20on%20SFs_zpsqrjc2trx.jpg

I don't own one, but I think most McGizmo heads are E-Series compatible......and above your added price limit.

Latest posts