Which SolarForce HOST

Jazzman56

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF

I was just wondering which is the best solarforce host or other budget host for a xml drop in.
Which one heatsinks the best and is the most durable.

Thanks,
Jazzman

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as heatsinking goes they're all the same. Just pick the one you like the look of and run with it.

Jazzman56

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, mvyrmnd and neutralwhite.

Where is the best place to buy one shipped to Australia?

and does the EDC+ triple xpg work in this ?

Thanks,
jazzman

Last edited:

jaycyu

Enlightened
I like the L2P.
L2N and L2T are only HA2 coated.
If you want cigar grip on the L2P, buy 2 lanyard rings + tailcap with a gap.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, mvyrmnd and neutralwhite.

Where is the best place to buy one shipped to Australia?

and does the EDC+ triple xpg work in this ?

Thanks,
jazzman

I have the EDC+ triple in my L2T, and after it was wrapped in copper tape it works beautifully.

As for the best place to buy? From the horses mouth - solarforce-sales.com. If you buy from ebay you may well end up with a fake.

Jazzman56

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys :D

EDIT:found link to there real website above

Thanks guys, i'll be wary of ebay :p

Links removed as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Sorry Norm, i miss read the banner. Won't happen again.
Thanks for editing my post.

How much am if looking at for a real L2p ?

How is the waterproofness/tail switch of the l2p?

Thanks
Jazzman

Last edited:

Jazzman56

Newly Enlightened
Opps Double post Sorry

Hi Guys

What is the best p60 host other than a surefire ?

Thanks,
Jazzman56

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best p60 host that isn't a Surefire, is Elzetta. Not sure if it excepts more than just malkoff dropins. I know the Malkoff hosts only work with malkoff dropins. Five mega hosts, would follow those two. Solarforce L2M would be my fourth choice of non Surefire hosts

mellowhead

Enlightened
For heat sinking, make sure you do a foil wrap or something like it. I just foil wrapped my L2P (genuine!) last week and the difference it makes in heat dissipation to the body is stupendous. It has a ThruNite XPG drop-in in it.

Jazzman56

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

Can i use thermal paste to transfer heat into the body of the light ?

Thanks
Jazzman

mellowhead

Enlightened
You could, but from what I've seen there's usually quite a gap between the drop-in and the host. Enough paste to fill it would be pretty messy I think. If you wanted to dope the foil wrap with thermal paste it would be slightly better at heat transfer, but again... the mess. Ugh.

Honestly, a good wrap is good enough. Check out vinhnguyen's video instruction here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?329978-vinhnguyen54-How-To-Wrap-A-P60-Drop-In . He also makes some wicked drop-in's BTW, available over on CPF marketplace.

Jazzman56

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mellowhead

Again Q's (sorry =)

I'm a getting a solarforce L2n or L2p or maybe even a p1 (out of these 3 which is the best in you opinion)

What are some of the best P60 drop ins ?

How waterproof are Solarforces ??

You guys are Awesome :D solved my 6month search for THE FLASHLIGHT,
Jarred

mr_matt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mellowhead

Again Q's (sorry =)

I'm a getting a solarforce L2n or L2p or maybe even a p1 (out of these 3 which is the best in you opinion)

What are some of the best P60 drop ins ?

How waterproof are Solarforces ??

You guys are Awesome :D solved my 6month search for THE FLASHLIGHT,
Jarred

Hmm, tough choice. I like the L2N looks the best, but the L2P will be the most durable as it has the better coating (HAIII). You might also look at the P1D, it is also HAIII and looks tough enough, all accept the P60 drop ins.
I just bought the parts and made my own drop in, I had fun doing it but you'll need to solder the wires to the emitter and driver to the pill. I just liked that I can pick my own emitter and driver.. and then the driver is programmable with the right hardware...
intl-outdoor has a good drop in on the cheap ($17usd) but I can't say personally as I only have the one

I think generally the Solarforce hosts are submersible to 1m, anyway they have an o-ring behind the lens, under the head, and under the tailcap so as long as they are lubricated with silicon grease they'll be fine for a dunk. It looks like there might be space for a second o-ring on the flashlight body as well, but I expect the lens will be the weakest link for water to leak in

Jazzman56

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mr_Matt

Where abouts did you get the parts to make the p60 drop or where is the best place to find these parts (i'm in Australia), i have no trouble soldering wires :D so the driver and emitter will be no problem at all.

Water tight to IPX7 good enough for me :tinfoil:

I'll look at the l2p and the P1d thanks :)

Regards
Jazzman

mellowhead

Enlightened
Out of all the SolarForce's mentioned, the L2P is the only one that will tailstand, if that's at all important to you. I've used my L2P for around the house stuff like under the sink repairs, and I'm sure glad that it tailstands! Also, if you're like me and sometimes go camping where there are outhouses, it's nice to have it tailstand to illuminate the whole inside so that you can see what you're doing - and keep both hands free and on-task.

For quality, I'd say you'll find concensus on CPF that Malkoff drop ins are right up there. "Best" drop in though? You really want to think about what you want your light to do. Think about whether you want a super bright high, very low low, what tint may suit your needs best, whether having a lot of spill would be beneficial to you... if you don't know where to start, just describe how you plan to be using your light and I'm sure you'll be fed lots of great ideas.

I've used my L2P on very long (>6hrs) night time hiking trips through pouring rain in the back country - scrambling over boulder fields (dropping it a couple times), climbing down waterfalls, fording thigh deep rivers... and it stood up to that just fine. They do have o-rings at all the common places, so keep them lubed up and you should be fine for that sort of use. Like Norm said - it's no dive light. Don't use it like it is.