who else wants a 181000 cell?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Who would like a new size battery made?

I've noticed a certain lack in the sizing of Li-Ion cells lately. They make them in diameters of 10mm, 14mm, 17mm, 18mm, then it jumps to 26mm. What about 21 to 23mm for us folks who have sub-C sized batteries? Something like a 22650 would be about perfect for me for a project I have in the works right now. I'm finding that I have to settle on using 18650s with a sleeve to work. 26500s would be too fat to fit inside the tube of an old SureFire 9N, for example.

As far as length is concerned, I've noticed that they are as long as 67mm but no longer than that. Is there a physical reason for that? It probably has to do with the machinery used to make the cells or a physical limitation of the technology itself that limits it to this length.

daimleramg

Banned

2 C li-ions but still 3.7V

26500*2 is? 26990? something in the range of 6000mAh? would be good at direct driving a SST-90

nzgunnie

Enlightened

bigger isn't always better...

I'd like to see IMR cells in 17XXX. I have a couple of unbored lights that it would be great to put some of the higher current lamps in (like the MN11 in my M962), even if it meant shorter run times.

xenonk

Enlightened

I always wanted something that could make use of those F cells found in lantern batteries, but that was only because I was young and thought it would be funny to refer to them as F-bombs.

azzkikr

Newly Enlightened
181000 as (18500 x 2),i hope i got that number right btw lol, i wish someone made a 18mm cell that was the size of 3 primaries. I personally think that the the 9p, z3, 9z, c3, g3 and such lights are the best form factor for me and what i use. at this point i can only wish of course but i cant help but think that someone out there shares these feelings with me. just think of the capacity as compared to the AW18650 2600 cells. and oh at the lego opportunities. just think about one of those with a m30 or another one of those single cell drop ins.

again just wondering who else thinks this would be awesome (geek yeah i know lol)

fred
azzkikr

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+2, if AW came out with an 18990, I would order two immediately - I love single-cell configurations. My favorite light is my C3, but it feels like it has been left behind by the new high-capacity 18650's.

Last edited:

azzkikr

Newly Enlightened
+2, if AW came out with an 18990, I would order two immediately - I love single-cell configurations. My favorite light is my C3, but it feels like it has been left behind by the new high-capacity 18650's.

amen, those 3cell combat grip surefires are the greatest out there if you ask me, got 5 of them myself. just imagine something like an AW 181000 (or18990 whatever the number might be) 3500. i would need like 10 of them right off the get go.

scot

Newly Enlightened
Holy Smokes, I've been wondering about an 181000 cell for months. Makes too much sense not to do it!!! I'd buy 5 or 6 right off the bat!!

Illum

Flashaholic

The chemistry could pose a size limitation... maybe? Like the length can only be so many times the diameter.

More options certainly cant hurt;)

Considering there exists 20AH LiFePO4 cylindrical cells...I think it has more limitation of the length-diameter ratio than simply the length factor...

Also, the volume of the cell will increase its capacity, but not always mean their discharge rate is any higher than standard cells.

mitro

Newly Enlightened
I love the size of a 9P, but I generally use higher voltage options so 2 x 18500s are great for me. The problem with a 18990 is that you're going to have to talk somebody into making a charger to accommodate them or go the hobby charger route.

OT: What I really want to see is more 1 x 18500 lights. 123 lights are too short for my big mitts and 14500 lights are great (and generally my EDC), but why not take advantage of the extra capacity? :)

Last edited:

MorePower

Enlightened
I love the size of a 9P, but I generally use higher voltage options so 2 x 18500s are great for me. The problem with a 18990 is that you're going to have to talk somebody into making a charger to accommodate them or go the hobby charger route.

In addition to the charger issue, and the fact that the market for such cells would be vanishingly small in the grand scheme of things, the big problem with an 18990 cell is as Illum stated:

Considering there exists 20AH LiFePO4 cylindrical cells...I think it has more limitation of the length-diameter ratio than simply the length factor...

Since these cells are made with a "jellyroll" construction, making long, relatively thin cells is difficult to do with any sort of reasonable success rate. The amount of scrap product created would be cost prohibitive.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I'd be interested in something like a 25990. I'm picturing something like an SST-50 or even SST-90 in a 2C Maglite. That would be great!

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, how many people need to be committed to buying these hypothetical cells to make a run of such cells a possibility?

Are there battery manufacturers who operate like a vanity publishers which print whatever they're paid to?

I'm just curious. I have no personal interest in the cells you all are discussing.

--flatline