Who's the "real" Swiss army knive maker?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who\'s the \"real\" Swiss army knive maker?

Just outta curiousity who is considered to make the real thing? never really gave it much thought, had a couple when I was a kid weather VICTORINOX or WENGER i don't know.

one post on amazon.com said both are (i guess meaning both provide them to the swiss army? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif)

any way just wondering. I bought my daughter a small cheapo knock off in walmart last yr (i was really surprized she asked for it) and thought a proper one would be a good xmas present, and I have given thought to one for myself. feel free to comment.VDG

Rudi

Enlightened
Re: Who\'s the \"real\" Swiss army knive maker?

Both were licensed by the Swiss Army to produce the pocket knives. Recently Victorinox bought Wenger.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

And it was my understanding that Victorinox was the first, but I'm sure many will try to say Wenger was the "real" one, etc...Pretty sure Rudi is correct though -- that they were both licensed before. If you want, I'll show you some rescaled Victorinox SAK's I did in green canvas Micarta as well as black canvas...:D

JM-99

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wikipedia on SAKs features a nice overview over the history. Victorinox was indeed first. As to why the Swiss Army contract was split in 1908, I have heard different rumors. Some say Victorinox (or Wenger) could not meet the full demand, some say the Army wanted to keep the price down by not having a monopoly (that makes the most sense to me). Victorinox makes the "Original", Wenger the "Genuine".

It's interesting why the Swiss Army decide to equip their troops with pocketknives (as I read on Wenger history). They had introduced a new rifle, which needed a screwdriver for disassembly. Presto, the Army needed a multi-tool.

Anyhoo, I've always preferred Victorinox, though I've no rational reason for this. Maybe it's just because I've mostly visited the German speaking region of Switzerland, where Victorinox is located. I think it's mostly aesthetics; the Victorinox designs appear more modern, high-techy, whereas Wenger always had a flair of quaintness.

Quality-wise, I doubt you can go wrong with either one.

gorlank

Enlightened

I flipped thru the latest issue of Knives Illustrated and it seems that Victorinox has bought out Wenger. So there can only be one going forward.

Oooops, sorry should have seen Rudi's post mentioning the buyout already.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Victorinox has said to keep the Wenger brand intact. They continue making Wenger knives.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always found my Victorinox's to hold an edge noticably better than my Wenger's, while the Wenger's seemed to have the features that I wanted in the size I wanted. I have several of both, carry a Victorinox and keep a Wenger under the seat of my bike for emergencies.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I will check out that history site and was wonderng if anyone has a good place that carry's most or all
models of the vic a pretty good price. VDG

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wenger scissors were far superior...

Mark

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Jumpmaster said:
If you want, I'll show you some rescaled Victorinox SAK's I did in green canvas Micarta as well as black canvas...:D

JM-99

[/ QUOTE ]

would love to see those JM. VDG

gorlank

Enlightened

I've picked up a bunch of various SAK's off ebay. Most of them were airport confiscations, very cheap and a good way to pick up inexpensive users. Some are pretty rough but I try to clean them up and have given many away to friends. The variety of models run the gamut from Explorers to Minichamps.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool stuff! I want a champ XLT! man thats a big mofo!

Several nice knives I saw for my daughter, and thanks for the links, the history was very interesting VDG

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
[ QUOTE ]
Jumpmaster said:
If you want, I'll show you some rescaled Victorinox SAK's I did in green canvas Micarta as well as black canvas...:D

JM-99

[/ QUOTE ]

would love to see those JM. VDG

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool...here's one (A Huntsman) in black canvas Micarta...
huntsman1.gif

huntsman2.gif

And another in green...
sa1.gif

My more recent versions look a lot better...this green one was my prototype. I carry a Cybertool in green canvas Micarta often. I will post pics of it later...

Cheers!

JM-99

matthewdanger

Enlightened

I have always preferred Victorinox SAKs. They have higher percieved quality (which means I don't know if they are actually better but they seem to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

Jumpmaster, that is nice work. I would love to have something like that done to a SAK sometime. I wish I had one to send to you right now.

Topper

Flashaholic*

I may be misstaken however I do think "Vic" was first while "wenger" had the patent and leaving "Vic" started his own company. As I said I have no problem if someone knows better thats how I remember it. As for blades I agree the "Vics" seem to take a better edge to me it is not a grind thing it is a steel thing might even be a heat treat thing, my guess is the "Wenger" blades have more chromium??
makes the blade more stainless less able to take and hold a sharp edge. I own a few from both companys and I like the "Vic" better but not to the point of not getting another "Wenger" perhaps they will use the Victorinox steel in both of them now.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, at least for the upcoming production, the question of who came first will be moot....I believe that Wenger was bought out by Victorinox. Both good brands for what they are---using knives with a great deal of utility in most cases.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! those are some very beautiful SAK's!! love the texture
almost like cabon fiber. truly unique! VDG

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Who's the "real" Swiss army knive maker?

I have always preferred Victorinox. Very nice knives. I have several over 20 years old and they still seem almost new despite much use. Highly recommended.

BTW, don't overlook the tiny "Classic" model. It may look like a toy, but there is a whole lot of knife in there. Mine gets more actual use than all my bigger knives combined.

And be sure to get some sort of sharpener so you can keep them cutting like new (I didn't mention a particular sharpener because that would certainly drag this thread off topic).