Why are 2xAA lights so ugly?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in among those who don't like the L2D-CE's appearance. Looks like a kludge plus the reduced center section just provides more corners to get hung up on things as you take it in and out of the pocket, pack, etc. Even w/o regard for appearance, I'm not a big fan of 2AA lights. Too long to pocket and even in a holster I find them cumbersome.

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
I loved the L2P design though....
I've had my share of stupidity pushing on the bezel...trying to figure out why the clickys so rigid and why cant I activate the light
ohgeez.gif

LOL. You too? I'm glad I'm not alone. I just got a L2P ver 2 a couple of weeks ago and I find myself pushing on the bezel about twice a day.
ohgeez.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

Luna

Enlightened
You guys are funny, when was the last time you were complementary of the aesthetics of a screwdriver or hammer? :devil:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
I'll never understand why some people prefer the slippery, overly fat L2P body, compared to the newer slightly knurled and slimmer L2T/L2D styles. The only conclusion I can come to is that these people don't actually use the lights.

I do not have an easy time holding short lights in my hand, and my hands are not that big. I would probably find a side by side 2AA light a bit too short and awkward. But it's an interesting concept.

About the estethics, I'm still on the fence which is the best looking of L2P and L2T/L2D, not that it's overly important to me. But I found that the L2P is almost perfect in size for me, comfortable to grip, and not too small (btw, I dont have gigantic hands either) and a very solid feel. So the L2D would maybe feel a bit too thin and flimsy, but I have never hold one in my hand. What's your opinion regarding that?

My only reason why I'm puzzled why the changed the design is that the new one looks much more complex to do, and there wasnt nothing really wrong with the first one, but I might be wrong.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhantomPhoton said:
I don't think the 2AA form factor is very popular tbh.

*COUGH*Mini Maglite*COUGH*
:)

I would dare to say that that is the most popular "non total cheapie light" out there, and also the reason why everybody who so far has borrowed my L2P, has used it as a twistie (how freaking hard is it to figure out what the purpose of the BIG BUTTON ON THE END is for)! You see them everywhere! And not to mention the clones.

But I wont disagree with you that it's not that popular among flashoholics like us, we usually want something smaller to EDC, or something much bigger and brighter.

cal..45

Enlightened
Traglite said:
I love the idea of the Fenix L2D-CE...longer life, hi turbo mode, etc. But the light just doesn't look good. Its just not as clean looking as the L1D. Am I alone here? Also why can't manufacturers make a side by side AA light? That would fit the hand nice and be pocketable. Comments?

I agree that the L2D is not as clean or even looking as the L1D, but believe me: the grip of the L2D is a whole lot better.

I got my L2D about three weeks ago and my mothers L1D arrived last week. yes, it is about 5cm shorter, but nevertheless the L2D fits much better into ones hand, even my mother said that and she is small person with analogous small hands. her decisicion to keep the L1D nevertheless, is only because it fits better in her handbag.

the size of the L2D is just perfect for my taste. I wear it the whole day in its holster on my belt and I would not want to trade it for the L1D or the even smaller P1D.

regards, holger

greenLED

Flashaholic
Traglite said:
I love the idea of the Fenix L2D-CE...longer life, hi turbo mode, etc. But the light just doesn't look good. Its just not as clean looking as the L1D. Am I alone here?
No, you're not. I've been bugging 4sevens about it for a while now. :nana: The L2P is a very simple and elegant body. The only drawback is that it slides in one's hand. Maybe that's why they changed the design, or maybe it was one of those "tactical" nonsense approaches. :green: Regardless, I think the new style bodies are fugly.

Illum

Flashaholic
Tooner said:
LOL. You too? I'm glad I'm not alone. I just got a L2P ver 2 a couple of weeks ago and I find myself pushing on the bezel about twice a day.
ohgeez.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

after I carry the light using the holster it stopped happening as now i observe the direction of the light....before the light can rotate in my pocket for god knows how many times, now it cant:grin2:

lumenal

Enlightened
WildChild said:
Personnally I prefer the L2D/L2T body style! It gives them a unique style and a lot more grip!

I couldn't agree more. When I first saw this light, I thought it looked different, but not ugly.

After using the L2D for a couple weeks, the shape has "grown" on me. It definitely looks nicer in real life. And it feels better in the hand than more traditional shaped lights. I get a much more secure grip.:whistle:

InfidelCastro

Banned
Lobo said:
About the estethics, I'm still on the fence which is the best looking of L2P and L2T/L2D, not that it's overly important to me. But I found that the L2P is almost perfect in size for me, comfortable to grip, and not too small (btw, I dont have gigantic hands either) and a very solid feel. So the L2D would maybe feel a bit too thin and flimsy, but I have never hold one in my hand. What's your opinion regarding that?

My only reason why I'm puzzled why the changed the design is that the new one looks much more complex to do, and there wasnt nothing really wrong with the first one, but I might be wrong.

Much better grip with the slimmer, knurled L2T/L2D over the needlessly fat & slippery L2P. Also, this probably shaved a hair of weight off the light.

I think of people who tried them both in person, 95% would prefer the L2T/L2D style body over the L2P.

I have used both body styles myself.

The L2D could still use some more knurling near the back of the body, but it's definately an improvement.

Last edited: