Why are flashlights so interesting? Why are LED flashlights a hobby?

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I don't want to buy lots of lights I don't use. I have a puritanical streak thats says 'use it or lose it'...well sell it. This is exactly what I do if I buy tech and it is no longer useful or doesn't get used enough to justify it's existence.

One complicating factor with technology is that many perfectly good lights are, if not completely redundant, are outclassed by newer lights which burn brighter and use less power, have better tints etc..

I am probably lucky coming in late to this as I have got the latest lights and they really are amazing.

I am afraid of the dark too, not terrified, but I've never been totally comfortable in dark areas, even sleeping at night. A torch that can light up an entire football oval like the MX25L3 with 2700 Lumens has a certain appeal to it, when deep in the swamp at night. I also wanted a decent light for my work.

My only 'extra' light is the TruNite TN12 I am expecting in the mail. It was only $50 so I thought 'why not'. My work torch is a Led Lenser P5R.2 rechargeable which is a perfect torch for the FOB pocket or holster. I have one headlamp, the Led Lenser H14R.2 which gets used daily on walks as does the ET MX25L3. The first real light I bought was a Black Diamond Storm. Initially I was happy with this for walking but ultimately, it got relegated to computer system building, for which it is absolutely perfect.

The change in attitude as I go along is that, yes, maybe it could be termed a 'hobby'. I have also seen through these forums, the sheer quality and power of some of these lights and the amount of thought and attention to detail is amazing. All the lights I have so far are ones I would want to keep until they die (out of warranty, the Lensers have a 5 year warranty).

I hope I'm not tempted by the way, just to add lights that simply sit on a shelf to be shone on a wall now and then. Lights to me are tools to be used.

LEDrock

Enlightened
I cant put my finger on it, something about having a gadget that helps people.

I'll take a stab at this.

I think my reason for flashlights as a hobby is because they increase my range of ability to see when otherwise I can't, just as binoculars allow me to see further than normal, a gun allows me to reach out and affect what I otherwise can't with great power and precision. A car allows me to travel at speeds far beyond my ability, an airplane allows me to fly, which is a brand new ability. Beyond these things, even a simple hand tool like a screwdriver takes on a new meaning to me when it serves a need and saves the day, which increases my appreciation for it. Think of any item that gives people abilities beyond what they are capable of themselves, and you'll find a forum for it by simply googling it together with the word "forum".

Another reason people take to an item as a hobby is because it gives people an ability that is beyond their fellow man. Everyone owns flashlights, but not so many have ones that last 100 times as long as their neighbor's, or is 20 times brighter. It's sort of like we're in on a little "secret" no one else knows about. Hey, I remember when people went ape over 5mm LED flashlights when they first arrived! I was one of them. Very expensive, but long lasting over the incans. Now that they are everywhere, does anyone think much of them anymore?

The evolution in the LED is fascinating to me because it increases the possibilities even further. In the past, a flashlight was something to use in conjunction with candles in a power outage and would last about an hour with ringy, black-splotchy beams. Now, they have the ability to give light for 80 or more hours on just one changing of batteries.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
It helps that purchasing, carrying, and using flashlights aren't restricted by law like firearms and knives. (One of my other interests is metal detecting and metal detector usage is prohibited or restricted in some areas.)

Last edited:

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately, I have gotten into titanium customs.

I admire the hand craftsmanship, skill, and technical expertise that someone like a Mac, Don McLeish or JHanko put into these devices.

It is the same level of fascination that I also have for a fine custom knife, or a Swiss watch.

Taking a functional device and making them works of art.