Why bicycle shorts are always black ???

Arkayne

Enlightened
greenLED said:
TD, are you on that stand?

As I always do, I ran that image through the national archives and located the real picture. TD is the 3rd from the right!! OMG!! :eeksign:

shorts.jpg

just playing wit'cha TD!

Last edited:

Vbeez

Enlightened
You guys are hillarious, I've never thought it can be this fun. I got busy the last couple days, now I got difficulty finding this thread. Moved away so quick.
Cosine : Bulls' eye. I was about to post the same pics for answer. That was fun.
Yes, it revealed as it is.......Any ladies reading this thread .............hehehhe.........Manzerick you should be proud........ your phone keep ringing ?? Just kidding !

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, slightly off topic here but, why do guys NOT wear underwear with these things? I alwayse do and can't fathom wearing one without...

Vbeez

Enlightened
No underwear ? Too hot or too tight ? G-string might help a bit. Don't you think ???? Should we make a vote for sexiest cpfer of the month.....?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I used to do a lot of biking back when I was into doing RAGBRI (Regiser's Annual Great Bike Ride Accross Iowa) and have worn those black biking shorts. The reason they are black is to keep your leg muscles warm which helps to keep them from cramping up:) Thats what I was allways told and it seemed to work.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several reasons,

Leaves more to the imagination when it comes to packaging

Back in the day of leather seats, the die from them would transfer to your shorts. Black shorts would hide the black die and dark brown die was hidden pretty well also.

Years ago, the US Cycling Federation required cyclists to wear black socks :rolleyes: so maybe they required black shorts?

The reason you don't wear undies under the shorts is you don't want chaffing (bad thing) Wearing cotton undies under the shorts would trap moisture in your crotch negating one of the main reasons to wear synthetic shorts. Cycling short wick away sweat and cotton traps it so wicking is great to keep the frank and beans dry.

Women tend to wear brightly colored shorts so if anyone wants to post more uhhhh... interesting pictures.... show some women wearing the latest in lighter colors.

BigTwin, I rode the Hotter N Hell in 1999, 2002, 2003 and 2004.

Vbeez

Enlightened
Yes, there must be scientific reason why they are black.
MayCooper ; nice pics. No ladies pics lining up like men do ?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX: True, leather seats would result in a tradition of black.

Chaffing: Well, I'm not a hard core cyclist pumping out hundreds of miles a week so my opinion may not matter that much. The only time I got chaffing was on a 63 mile ride through rolling terrain. It was the most difficult ride I've ever done (in my life). My coordination was off so my legs rubbed on the seat and I getting wet in the rain increasing the friction between the seat and my legs. I ended up with two bruses on my legs where the nose of the saddle rubbed against me.

Cotton = wet crotch: True. It doesn't bother me much though and was not my main reason for starting to wear tights. Wind resistance was my reason.

MayCooper: That first pic is :wow: :takeit:

Last edited: