Why didn't you buy the last light you 'almost' bought?

otis

Newly Enlightened
Does returning a light count?

Bought a SF 6PX Pro and almost fainted when it arrived and saw on the package it is not to be mounted on a weapon:confused:

Who'da thunk?

Sent from my rotary dial phone using tapatalk.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost bought a Thrunite Ti because of the firefly mode, and I'm still debating, but I ended up picking up a Fenix E11 from REI instead. Right now I'm trying to focus on fun small (single AA, CR123, CR2, AA or button cell) lights but I also really want a Streamlight SL20L, Stinger DS LED, ProTac HL, Surefire R1 Lawman, and several other lights... It'll never end.

I bought the Thrunite Ti for the revised price of $10(after the $5 coupon). I assumed that because it was so cheap, and had been even cheaper just days before I bought it, that it was going to be crappy. But it wasnt....

I got it about 3 weeks ago, and really liked it. It was my first AAA light, so then I bought the 2-AAA 4Sevens Preon 2, and liked it. So I went to buy another Thrunite Ti in green, but they had stopped offering them in colors other than black, so I decided to buy an Olight i3 for $21.99 because I could get it in different colors. But I also noticed the AAA Titanium Innovations Illumina-Ti, so I ordered it too. So I receive both lights from batteryjunction yesterday, and although I really like the Illumina-Ti(dumb name though), I've discovered that the Olight i3 isnt quite as nice as the Thrunite Ti, which I really wanted. Its not bad, but its thinner and not quite as bright with less throw, etc.

Cheung421

Newly Enlightened
I almost bought a Surefire M951 with the A.R.M.S lever, pressure switch, and LED bulb but... I bought other flashlights and I'm too broke :(

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last light I "almost" bought was a Nitecore EA1. I think the red LED is interesting and likely useful. Not sure, however, that I really want a 1AA thrower and the big head will make the light less pocketable. I originally was going to prefer it over my ZL-SC51 due to the elegant electronic lockout and then I realized that the lockout exits upon a "push and hold" on the power switch. Electronic lockouts should always require a button sequence to release that is implausible to happen when the light is stowed. (for instance, 3 presses in rapid succession) Think I'll stick with my excellent ZL-SC51 for an EDC 1AA light.

I was seriously pondering the Nitecore EC-1, but realized that not only have I bought too many lights as it is, but since its so hot and dry outside now, my work is drying up faster than the ground! No more new lights any time soon.......

Dankung

Newly Enlightened
I was about to buy a Custom '4-head' monster. but didn't due to the very high price

4Head.jpg

Dubois

Enlightened
So I went to buy another Thrunite Ti in green, but they had stopped offering them in colors other than black,.

I seem to recall seeing Thrunite suggest that if you want a particular colour for the Ti, you should just mention it in the "comment" line on their website - they do, apparently, have all colours in stock.

keenism

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Fury...Skipped for battery reasons.

PLEASE Surefire 18650 without boring...pretty please?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
- SWM V10A due to poor runtimes on low modes.
- ET D25A clicky due to wide low-end mode spacing, tight high-end mode spacing (75>122=+28% perceived), lack of full 14500 support.
- HDS, the one light that almost got me started on 123s, due to wait times
- Another ZL due to shortest warranty among mid-ranged lights (and it sounds like a CS to match).

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to recall seeing Thrunite suggest that if you want a particular colour for the Ti, you should just mention it in the "comment" line on their website - they do, apparently, have all colours in stock.

I wasnt aware of that, as they only had it listed as black. But if I had known that, I wouldve ordered another of them instead of the Olight i3. The i3 has 1 more mode, but its thinner, not quite as bright, doesnt throw as good, plus it costs $6 more. But the Ti now only comes in the .04L low & 70L high firefly version. I liked the 3L low version better.

Dubois

Enlightened
I wasnt aware of that, as they only had it listed as black. But if I had known that, I wouldve ordered another of them instead of the Olight i3. The i3 has 1 more mode, but its thinner, not quite as bright, doesnt throw as good, plus it costs $6 more. But the Ti now only comes in the .04L low & 70L high firefly version. I liked the 3L low version better.

Just checked Thrunite's website, where this notice appears:

"0.04 lumen version: All five colors are available.
3 lumen version: Only black, red and blue colors are available."

So they don't have the green 3 lm version now. Sorry.

fyrstormer

Banned
Buy both, swap the green casing from the 0.04lm light to the 3lm light, and return the 0.04lm light.

Anyway, there are lots of lights I almost bought, but haven't. The biggest reasons are: not made of titanium, not infinitely-adjustable, not pretty enough, too many disco modes. I have no patience for multi-clicking anymore.

Oddly, the most recent light I *did* buy is a copper 3-mode light, but I got that one for novelty value, not as an EDC light, so functionality wasn't a paramount concern.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, but I just can't understand the question: I see a light, like it, and consider purchasing it, and then I DON'T purchase it? I don't know how that works, can someone please explain, I may be missing a whole new aspect to this hobby.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked Thrunite's website, where this notice appears:

"0.04 lumen version: All five colors are available.
3 lumen version: Only black, red and blue colors are available."

No dude, I'm glad you brought up the possibility, because after I read your post, I googled it and found the 3L /70L version in every color at another site for the same price of $16. Here it is:

http://www.sbflashlights.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=172

benhar

Newly Enlightened
I was all set on a Klarus XT11... then I found out it has no level memory. It's a shame, I really liked the light. I understand the reasoning, but I would think a light of that price and quality would have the option for memory. Now it's going to be a G25C2 or M20S-X.

fyrstormer

Banned
I'm sorry, but I just can't understand the question: I see a light, like it, and consider purchasing it, and then I DON'T purchase it? I don't know how that works, can someone please explain, I may be missing a whole new aspect to this hobby.
It's the aspect of the hobby where you realize that not everything worth wishing for is also worth having.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Does returning a light count?

Bought a SF 6PX Pro and almost fainted when it arrived and saw on the package it is not to be mounted on a weapon:confused:

Who'da thunk?

Despite the marketing name (pro), the 6PX is an economy light.

Making it weapons grade (double springs, etc), would raise the price 50%.

Adobo

Newly Enlightened
I almost bought a 4th Sunwayman V10r Ti+. If my wife sees another one of those, she'll probably send me to rehab.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Necro-bump.

The last light I almost bought but didn't was the time the Mrs had $500 fall in her lap and told me to pick out any flashlight I wanted.
Imediately I went to the HDS sight because those are priced above my maximum price point. Being it was her money not mine, again I chose not to.

I told her "buy me a steak dinner" and that was that. Funny how life works, as she had an unexpected expense and used the money for that instead.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last light I almost bought was a vintage nickle plated flashlight from the 60s in good condition (prob. made in china, couldnt tell you the brand I just liked the way it looked). I wanted it just for the collection since I dont really have any vintage lights (pre 80s) but then remembered I dont have a good place to display it.