Why do common smells make us sick?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only common odours that can cause me to become ill are poo-poo and puke.

O, and I forgot to add that the perfume called "White Linen" really stinks - pee you!!!
It smells like used douches to me, not like perfume or some other pleasant scent.
stinky1.gif

Last edited:

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
cigarette smoke just makes me want to die :green: , I get bad headaches and occasionally feel like vomitting, I don't think this needs an explanation.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
like old lady perfume that takes your breath away and makes you talk funny....

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
D@rk Messenger said:
cigarette smoke just makes me want to die :green: , I get bad headaches and occasionally feel like vomitting, I don't think this needs an explanation.
How about outside smoking sections where the smoke is sucked into the building anyway? Might as well just smoke inside.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
All chemicals make me ill. Cigarette smoke, burning trash (rubber, plastics) tops the list along with barf bags.:sick: :green: Oh, and stinky feet.

Last edited by a moderator:

maverick

Enlightened
I don't have the issue with perfume, but I have the same problem when it comes to certain brand new out of the plastic products. I remember I bought a desk fan a few months ago, pulled it out of the box and the plasticky smell immediately made me nauseous. Had to lay down for a while after that....

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
maverick said:
I don't have the issue with perfume, but I have the same problem when it comes to certain brand new out of the plastic products. I remember I bought a desk fan a few months ago, pulled it out of the box and the plasticky smell immediately made me nauseous. Had to lay down for a while after that....

Outgassing at it's finest. I'm sorry that you had such a strong reaction. Some people have problems with new cars because the paints, rubbers, plastics, adhesives, etc. are still outgassing. I have a couple of good friends; the feminine side is just can't stand to be in my new('06) Scooby. Usually she doesn't have such a problem, but at the moment she's 8 3/4 months pregnant. Probably for the better, it doesn't exactly have a smooth ride.

:buddies:

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
The number of people here with chemical sensitivities is surprising to me. Most of those mentioned trigger my asthma.

Diesel_Bomber said: "Outgassing at it's finest. ... Some people have problems with new cars because the paints, rubbers, plastics, adhesives, etc. are still outgassing." Sometimes you can see the stuff deposited on the car windshield. Some car manufacturers are doing something about this and are using materials that minimize outgassing. -- some Toyota and Honda models and probably other brands. I think there's a name and a standard to meet before you can use the name -- 'Cars that don't poison gas you' or some such.

--Walter

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
green: I believe you. I regularly smell my face grease.

jumpmaster: you SKYDIVE! Wow! I NEED to do that at least once before i die! I dream of doing a BASE jump off of Angel Falls Venezuela!

The stinky perfume I gave in the first example in post one is either Charlie or some even more nasty variation of it. My sister-in-law had on Charlie this morning and it stank the same but wasn't strong enough to make me sick.

Latest posts