Why do Surefire's cost so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
Iam actually surprised to hear that ANY flashlight is still made in the U.S.A, is their many others actually made here/U.S?? Thanks for the replys so far.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Us Labor
Environmental Regulations and Compliance
Materials-Raw-High Quality
Materials-Tools-High Quality, Bits, Reamers, Bores...ect...ect...$$$
Maintenance on and Upkeep of Tools
Health Benefits
Design, Designers
Testing, Field and Shop
Research and Development
Website Maintenance
Incidentals
:whistle:
I'll stop there for now.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
A common question, but maybe not the simplest to answer.
-Quality construction/reliability
-Warranty
-Name/brand recognition
-U.S. manufacture
-R&D
-Customer service
-Supply/Demand supports their pricing
-adaptability, compatibility, available accessories
No particular order, as I wouldn't really know how those things affect cost individually, but these things all increase cost or desirability in one way or another, and they do add up.
Many lights will be brighter for their size and/or cost, many will offer better runtime, some more sophisticated user interfaces, more convenient battery configurations, whatever, but there is always a sacrifice, no matter what you buy. With SF, you tend to pay for the overall package, not just specific aspects of it-which you may sacrifice as a result.
Surefire is just a brand name. I think people should buy a flashlight(phone, knife, car, clothes, etc.) because it suits them, their use, life, budget...not a brand name. It's up to the individual buyer to determine whether the package they're buying is worth the cost...or not.
I tend to buy Surefires because the quality, compatibility within model lines, and reliable warranty service are more attractive to me than output, size, cost, or UIs that I'm too old-fashioned to embrace.

stevedenver

Newly Enlightened
zatoichi
nice guitar analogy-not lost on me at all

and
good point too not only about the SF 'target market' (so to speak)-military law-

but also
often it is price which help define the niche in the market-ie the rolls royce

obviously there must be some basis for the reputation

but also

it can indeed carve out a small but reliable part of the market

and when it comes to marketing manipulation and mind games, few of us are totally immune or rationale-

and i hate to ask now that its a done deal

but was $124 delivred for an e2l an ok deal?
i can't bear to hear it..............................

i guess thats why im branded as unenlightened?

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry if this is ot ..but what if i had a surefire that was 15-20+ years old and it needed a fix or replacement part but surefire doesnt have it being model is to old, how does the lifetime warranty help me then , will they upgrade me to new free light of same class

stevedenver

Newly Enlightened
id read the warranty -but common language is to 'repair or replace or refund'
-provided its within warranty terms-im sure SF site has the warranty
noticed that they require use of SF batteries in case of leakage issues-

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been on Surefire's website looking at some of their lights and Ive used a few of them, just cant understand the prices, very expensive I think. Are they made in the States? Most dont seem to be extremely bright and runtimes are low, wassup with this? Dont get me wrong, they look and feel very solid but what makes them so much better than say a JetBeam or Eagletac ect ect.. Just asking and looking, havent ruled out getting one :grin2:

Surefire lights are produced in United States territory. PERIOD!

That´s why they cost a lot more than another similar quality lights (produced in other countries, where the costs are MUCH lower...).

:wave:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Surefire lights are produced in United States territory. PERIOD!

That´s why they cost a lot more than another similar quality lights (produced in other countries, where the costs are MUCH lower...).

:wave:

Guys, we have done this thread before. Let's not do it again. There is plenty of info on this subject that can be searched for. This kind of thread can go to pot fast.

Bill

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real (and best :)) answer to the cost of Surefires - and any product that some folks regard as spendy but nevertheless buy - is supply and demand.

Just like Fenix and GM and everyone in between, SF has a business model geared at maximizing profit. Which is a good thing, and its what makes our economic world function properly (when left alone).

SF could sell a million lights at $1.00 each, or one light at $1,000,000 to create the same revenue. They have chosen a point somewhere in between.

So the real answer is people are willing to purchase SFs at the price they are charging.

And what they are doing appears to be working.

JMO. :)

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
I've never seen Jimmy Page playing a £200 Les Paul copy, and never seen Clapton play a Chinese Strat. If you hang around in Guitar shops you often hear people ask why one guitar costs thousands while an identical looking one costs a couple of hundred. To the person who asks, there really isn't much difference. To seasoned guitarists the difference is (generally speaking) worthwhile. I guess it's the same thing with Surefire. If you can't see the point in forking out for a Surefire, there probably is no point. :shrug:

I play guitar, you are making a bad analogy.

These are FLASHLIGHTS, not musical instruments.

stevedenver

Newly Enlightened
well in a broader sense theyre both tools and
one who uses a tool frequently and skillfully and has become knowledgable
will often appreciate nuances not immediately apparent -even small ones-and is willing to pay these

we guitarists know that EC and JP could make just about any guitar sound like EC JP respectively -to a larger extent

BVR

Newly Enlightened
They make nice flashlights.This could be a reason.

is

BTW, I like also Bruce Springsteen's songs.

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
A G2 Surefire is only about 35 bucks. Who else makes a high quality, heavy duty, combat proven light that you would bet your life on for that kind of money? The 6P is only a bit more and it is possibly one of the toughest and most durable flashlights made. I can't answer your question on the more expensive lights because I don't understand why a WHOLE lot of things cost as much as they do.

seattlite

Enlightened
I disagree. Find me another light as good as my M600C and I will put it on my weapon instead.

Ligher than 5oz
Have provisions for a QD throw-lever system
Illuminate a large area out to 100m.
Reliable. Un-relentingly reliable.

Find something as good/better. You will save me money if I outfit any other weapon systems with a light.

Hmm....how about this:
X300+XT07+Larue QD Mount :thumbsup:

Anyone know the quantity/makup of the USA made parts in the SF products? Where are the circuits made? Who makes the Surefire batteries?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.