Why Does A Flashlight Have To Look Good ?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does a flashlight have to look good?

Because I'm looking at it every day. Not the most important thing, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't matter at all either. Otherwise (hypothetical): you have any company or builder of choice at your disposal. They will build your own dream light just for you, to your functional specifications, materials & emitter choice, size and (approximate) shape; but you get no say in the exact shape or looks department. If they anodized it the color of, & fashioned it in the shape of a log of fecal matter, or a part of the human male anatomy- extreme realism I'm talking about- there'd be no problem with that because "appearances are meaningless" to you! Right?!

Tell me you'd carry that light!

:crackup:

richpalm

Banned
I have to have good looks. Fugly lights are a no-go. They wind up sitting or not getting used. I used to think Mags were too ho-hum until I modded one with XML's and a Talon crenelated bezel for example.

Rich

fivebyfive

Enlightened
IMO, my flashlights don't have to look bling bling, but it sure as heck would help. I would be more willing to shell out some cash on a light that was pretty and performed well rather than just perform.

davecroft

Enlightened
"Why Does A Flashlight Have To Look Good?"
Why not?
Exactly. Why shouldn't something that works well look great also? It's not mutually exclusive. That way people who want a product that works buy it, and people who want to look at something nice buy it. You just doubled your sales.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why Does A Flashlight Have To Look Good ?

It doesn't Have To but nice looking flashlight will sell more and better.

Assuming price, quality, usefullness and functionality is same, 90% of people will prefer nice looking flashlight.

Last edited:

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
For me the price of a light is an influence, I would purchase a $5 light baised only on its performance, but at a $60 to $100 I wan't it to be a good looking design.

happystuffing

Newly Enlightened
Well. . when I'm in the mood to fondle my flashlight, I want a good looking one. It's gotta be smooth to the touch, maybe ribbed at times with appropriately nice heatsinks, and warm to the touch - but not hot - when it's on.

That's the kinda flashlight that you want to feel in your hand, am I right? Am I right? :whistle:

Last edited:

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Well, I must admit that I admire a good looking, quality flashlight as much as the next guy. Form does not always necessarily follow function though. My kids and grandchildren are becoming more and more light savvy. They tend to reach for the fanciest, ie priciest light they can find. With this in mind I recently built a "Sleeper" out of a cheapo yellow and black $5.00 Rayovac 2D cell flashlight. I own several lights with XM-L leds but this one throws better than them all. The rebel reflector is the key, plus some innovative (For my skill level anyway) heat sinking. The great thing is it's always where I left it because no one wants to use the unassuming, lowly plastic flashlight!

Colorblinded

Enlightened
It doesn't have to but it certainly doesn't hurt anything to have an aesthetically pleasing design. It certainly also will probably make the light an easier sell for part of the population, maybe even increasing its desirability over other comparable lights.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
for me, it doesnt matter what it looks like. but it certainly gets more points and attention if it did look great.

also, being any color besides black helps alot for me. im tired of black lights... LoL

but quality, function, and tint are my main selling points.

davecroft

Enlightened
There seem to be more coloured lights around lately - usually the smaller ones though. I would quite like to see a white light! It's the new Black! (Remember how white cars were out of fashion a few years ago and now they are everywhere). And a white flashlight would be easier to find in the dark!

But I did read somewhere that HAIII anodising only comes in black or grey - is that right? The coloured lights must be HAII then?

nbp

Flashaholic
You can make HA in colors but it is seemingly more challenging, and I don't know if it is quite as strong as the Natural. Thus, it is rare, especially on on larger 'tactical' lights and the like. That being said, I am pleasantly surprised how well the gold HA has held up on my E01 on my keys. :shrug:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. The current range of Kia's are a damn sight better looking than the current BMW's. But which would you prefer to drive into a tree?

I'd still pick the Kia, several models got the IIHS top safety pick for their class BMW only got it for their larger 5 series, excluding the 4 wheel drive and v8 models.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seem to be more coloured lights around lately - usually the smaller ones though. I would quite like to see a white light! It's the new Black! (Remember how white cars were out of fashion a few years ago and now they are everywhere). And a white flashlight would be easier to find in the dark!

But I did read somewhere that HAIII anodising only comes in black or grey - is that right? The coloured lights must be HAII then?

thats why i couldnt say "no" to my oveready white C2.
then a few months later they came out with a glow in the dark coating, that was white in color

davecroft

Enlightened
Didn't know such things existed! Just found the 'White Lightning Trio' thread on CPF - cool lights! Something to save for....

AFKAN

Newly Enlightened
Hmm well you could also follow that why would you ever need more than one flash light?

Possibly why we're all on here, a proper love for the flash light, in all it's forms and functions. Yes you could buy yourself a cheap one from the supermarket when you're in there, and it'll most likely fulfil 90% of people's requirements for a flash light; But why not crave a little more? I bought an RRT3, will I ever "need" something with such a capability? No of course not, but by got it's a damn fine flash light and does all I'll ever require of it and a lot more. (and it's very stylish to boot) :D

Exactly. The current range of Kia's are a damn sight better looking than the current BMW's. But which would you prefer to drive into a tree?

I'd still pick the Kia, several models got the IIHS top safety pick for their class BMW only got it for their larger 5 series, excluding the 4 wheel drive and v8 models.

Ahh the classic, this is exactly what I mean... If your reason for buying a car is merely "transport" then there will be a whole load of considerations others won't give two hoots about ;)

This is pretty well aligned with our love of flash lights ;) I myself don't care about safety in cars as I'm a pretty decent driver and have no plans on sticking mine into a tree, or any other object for that matter, and yet all these new cars all come with more and more safety features that most of us will NEVER use. We still buy them though and crave more and more features ;)

Great thread :devil:

martyo456

Newly Enlightened
I would say that a good looking flashlight is not necessarily the best flashlight, but an ugly looking flashlight is rarely the best functionally (unless the owner is purposely modifying everything to make it work better).

The main thing I look for is the sturdiness of construction. I don't know how many cheap ugly flashlight my wife has bought over the years trying to save a few $, but they end up breaking within a few days and aren't any better than a paperweight after that.

I've got one sturdy little flashlight that puts out great light and it will probably last forever. Thats key to me - turn it on and it had better work and work well.

Marty O.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
In various reviews, etc., the authors will state that a light "looks good". I have a different outlook. My interest is only the efficiency & capability of the light that i purchase. The fact that the appearance is ugly would not alter my purchase. A light to me is a tool & sometimes a toy. Good engineering, reliability & cost to me far exceeds the "looks" of the light. From a sales point of view appearances are important. In my practical point of view appearances are meaningless.

It can also mean:

- That the parts fit together well
- The light is free from machining marks/scratches/dents/etc
- The anodizing (if any) is complete & applied correctly
- The threads are smooth, well machined & free of left over metal shavings
- Any lettering is applied correctly
- Etc, etc, etc

It is not just about the aesthetics of the light on it's own.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
In various reviews, etc., the authors will state that a light "looks good". I have a different outlook. My interest is only the efficiency & capability of the light that i purchase. The fact that the appearance is ugly would not alter my purchase. A light to me is a tool & sometimes a toy. Good engineering, reliability & cost to me far exceeds the "looks" of the light. From a sales point of view appearances are important. In my practical point of view appearances are meaningless.

This is actually a very far reaching question and a far more philosophical one than perhaps you intended. Beauty and the perception of beauty are complex concepts and the aesthetics of an object are subjective.

Our most basic nature shows this in our constant representation of physical perfection and attractiveness. Do you look at any member of the opposite sex and think they are all equally attractive because they are fully working females? (assuming you are male of course) Do you think that any old shoes, trousers, shirt, jacket are just as good as any other because they cover your body and keep you warm?

I am sure there are many things you choose on the basis of 'looks', so to say that this is not important for a torch, is hypocritical wouldn't you say?